PDA

View Full Version : Wax For Deardorff Lens Board Rise/Fall Channel

Flauvius
30-Apr-2016, 14:49
Does anyone have experience with products for waxing, or otherwise lubricating, the Rise/Fall channel on a Deardorff's front standard?

Flauvius

Jac@stafford.net
30-Apr-2016, 15:22
Does anyone have experience with products for waxing, or otherwise lubricating, the Rise/Fall channel on a Deardorff's front standard?

Wax is not necessary. Polish it with a lint-free cloth until accumulated gunk is gone. You will know it is good when the channel and board have a mild gleam.

I just finished refurbishing a 5x7 wooden back that way. Another way is to pass the wood parts gently through a soft, high-speed buffing wheel. Old varnish will meld into a smooth finish.

Flauvius
30-Apr-2016, 16:23
Someone at the "big box store" just suggested automotive wax because it dries hard and prevents moisture from having contact with whatever is underneath the wax.

Has any one tried auto wax to lubricate the wooden channels, and if so: With what results?

Flauvius

Doremus Scudder
1-May-2016, 01:56
Clean first and try that. Make sure the finish is in good shape second. If not, you may want to re-finish somehow. I have had good luck spot-finishing places using straight tung oil, which penetrates unfinished areas but doesn't dissolve the old finish. Make sure to wipe it off well so you don't get build-up.

If that doesn't do the job for you, try a quality paste wax designed for antique furniture (they won't hurt the finish like some can). Carnauba wax is very good as are Butcher’s Boston Polish Paste Wax or Staples Clear Paste Wax. See here for more suggestions: http://www.fiskeandfreeman.com/PolishingAntiqueFurniture.aspx

Best,

Doremus

mdarnton
1-May-2016, 05:38
Renaissance Wax is nice stuff that museums use for their things. I use it on camera parts, also. Don't be rubbing a candle on it thinking that wax is wax! That will just make it gunkier.

But I think a good cleaning is the first thing to try.

Jim Fitzgerald
1-May-2016, 08:49
Renaissance wax is what I use on all of my cameras that I build. Dries hard.