PDA

View Full Version : Help needed on ARISTO VCL

Paolo
2-Apr-2005, 15:30
Please please help.

I just mounted a brand new aristo vcl8100 on my beseler 810 and I am not really able to use it.
I tried my first prints (from well known negatives) and they look AWFUL.
If I set the head to zero contrast the outcome is really a print without ANY contrast but as soon as I get into even 01 on the display (which should be a 1/10 of grade 1) , the print looks as a grade 5 to me!!!
I am using ILFORD FB variable contrast paper and standard developers (ilford again) and I do not understand what I am doing wrong.
In addition to this what use should the green dimmer have?? How should I set it?

Thank you folks as ny advice is REALLY appreciated

Will Strain
2-Apr-2005, 18:31
There is a split printing mode switch, if that is turned off, you could be firing the blue only (highest contrast) - likewise, on the top right switch, if on the top setting (blue max) is the hardest (approx 5.5) setting, and might be affecting your shots.

this page:

http://www.aristogrid.com/Tech02I.htm

has a good breakdown of the controls.

Robert A. Zeichner
2-Apr-2005, 18:37
I currently have and use an Aristo VCL4500 and a VCL57 which are essentially the same in principle as the VCL8100. You should have a switch that has three positions, green only, low blue only and high blue only. With the switch in the lower position, as you crank in the contrast, the color should change from yellow green to green to cyan. It's subltle, but it's noticeable. While the grade spacing is not precisely like filter grades or paper grades, it is fairly even and predictable. Most of my "normal" negatives print with anywhere from 2.2 to 3.5. Check the switch position and maybe exercise it as it sounds like the blue tube is turning on with full intensity very quickly (or the green is turning off). The other possibility is that the connector you plug the head into on the back of the controller is loose. Make certain it's plugged in fully and the locking tabs have clicked onto place. Let us know how you make out.

Paolo
3-Apr-2005, 01:59
Thank you Will, thank you Robert.
I checked all the contacts and plagues. Everything seems to work fine. The green light stays on and I do see a changement in light cast as I crank the contrast. I also changed the blue starting point to (very near) its minimum but I am still getting very VERY contrasted prints. They are so contrasted they are actually useless.
Again, any advice (while I keep on throwing large pieces of FB paper away doing trials) would be highly appreciated

Brian Ellis
3-Apr-2005, 06:08
I've used a VCL4500 for years. Assuming you have the switch in the correct position as others have said, at .01 you should see nothing but greenish light on the paper or when you look up into the lens.. Is that what you see? If you do, and if you're still getting a high contrast print tat that setting, then the problem is your paper. If you see blue light at that setting then the problem is with the head and you'll need to contact Aristo to check on repairs. Assuming the switch is set properly and the paper is reasonably new my guess is there's a problem with whatever mechanism in the head controls the degree of each light color when you turn the contrast knob but Aristo should be a better source of information.

Paolo
3-Apr-2005, 10:21
Brian, I do see greenish light at low contrast sets. It gets bluer as I increase the contrast.
I will immediately try with a (brand) new paper and let you know.
In the meantime...., thank you.