PDA

View Full Version : How I fold my 8x10 Chamonix View Camera

StoneNYC
29-Apr-2016, 23:00
Hey guys,

I've noticed that a lot of people fold their Chamonix view cameras differently than I do, I only have an 8x10 so it's possible the other sizes fold differently but I thought this might be of interest to some members.

I think the way that I do it helps to prevent putting too much strain on the rear standard joints, and prevents unneeded bellows rub and just keeps it a lot sturdier when folded up and hiking around in your pack etc.

I've had a hard time describing the procedure on how I do it, so I just decided to make a video about it, and here it is...

How I Fold my 8x10 Chamonix View Camera Video - Click Here (https://youtu.be/11oFN6NYhQg)

Thanks for watching, and try it out, if you have another size camera I would be interested to know if it works or if it doesn't.

~Stone

PS. feel free to follow my channel :)
PPS. Sorry about my ugly mug :eek:

mdarnton
30-Apr-2016, 07:06
I don't have one of these, but your method completely makes sense.

ic-racer
30-Apr-2016, 07:43
Your method a lot like the way the camera is folded on the Chamonix website.

BetterSense
30-Apr-2016, 09:44
I will keep this folding method in mind for my next homemade view camera.

soeren
30-Apr-2016, 10:18
Yeah and that look pretty similar to the 45N series. The 45F1 look way different (just to continue our APUG dialoque :D)

Both from the chamonix website

Uhm that 8x10" sure look tempting. If only it wasn't so expensive

Jim Becia
30-Apr-2016, 11:01
Stone,

Just to let you know, your method does not work on all Chamonix 8x10 models. I cannot fold it down like you do. You can see that the front maple section is indented and prevents taking the base up and over as you do. The metal hits the maple indentation. Otherwise, I do think your method makes a lot o sense. Jim

Ari
30-Apr-2016, 12:55
Nice ball head!

vinny
30-Apr-2016, 13:12
Your method a lot like the way the camera is folded on the Chamonix website.

yes, I guess know we know where he got the idea!

StoneNYC
30-Apr-2016, 14:14
Yeah and that look pretty similar to the 45N series. The 45F1 look way different (just to continue our APUG dialoque :D)

Both from the chamonix website

Uhm that 8x10" sure look tempting. If only it wasn't so expensive

Strange, someone PMed me today to say they tried this on their 45 F-1 and told me it worked great, the exact quote was

"just tried it on my F1. Works well and prevents the "springing" on the rear hinge that you demonstrated on your 8x10"

Perhaps there are different f-1 models? I don't know.

Stone,

Just to let you know, your method does not work on all Chamonix 8x10 models. I cannot fold it down like you do. You can see that the front maple section is indented and prevents taking the base up and over as you do. The metal hits the maple indentation. Otherwise, I do think your method makes a lot o sense. Jim

Oh interesting, yea I don't have the "2 knob" front standard, I kind of like that the all in one personally, but I see how that could prevent it, thanks for sharing the variation, good to know.

Vinny, I figured this out before they had updated pictures on the site, but just because there are pictures doesn't mean that it's inherently easy to figure out for most people even when I verbally describe it they didn't understand what I meant, so the video is helpful to some, and that's all that matters.

Paul Metcalf
30-Apr-2016, 15:35
Well I thought it was a very informative video, just what this forum should advocate. And I don't even own a Chamonix LOL, all of my views have fixed front standards to the focusing rail so they only fold one way.

Taija71A
30-Apr-2016, 16:36
Your method is a lot like the way the camera is folded on the Chamonix website.

Yes, I guess we know where he got the idea!

'I would tend to agree with both of those statements.'

... Vinny, I figured this out before they had updated pictures on the site...

The following JPEG has been on the ChamonixViewCamera Web Site...
Since at least September 2011.
--

New 8X10 Pictures:

https://web.archive.org/web/20110920065459/http://www.chamonixviewcamera.com/810.html

Winger
30-Apr-2016, 16:59
Strange, someone PMed me today to say they tried this on their 45 F-1 and told me it worked great, the exact quote was

"just tried it on my F1. Works well and prevents the "springing" on the rear hinge that you demonstrated on your 8x10"

Perhaps there are different f-1 models? I don't know.

I don't think they would have made major changes to the model within the short time it's been out, but I suppose it could be possible that the different wood versions are slightly different? Anyway, I just tried with my F1 and it does not work. Flipping the front standard actually makes it not fold up as tightly and makes it be "springy." As it came to me, it is solid when folded and that's how I fold it back up.

soeren
30-Apr-2016, 23:47
Found that too. Fidling around it can be folded but it seems like the front standard is not flush with the base.

Further more the screw is sticking out

And when putting pressure on top of the rear standard the front ( midle of the sandwich) is wobling up and down.

StoneNYC
1-May-2016, 00:32
Found that too. Fidling around it can be folded but it seems like the front standard is not flush with the base.

Further more the screw is sticking out

And when putting pressure on top of the rear standard the front ( midle of the sandwich) is wobling up and down.

Thanks for posting this, interesting, the screw sticks out on my 8x10 too, but it's bigger so isn't really in the way as much, thanks for trying it out, really don't know why the Facebook guy said it works for him.

So I noticed the picture has a gap, and no Velcro to hold it in place, but mostly the camera isn't fully closed, is this because of the bellows compression?

Is it a universal bellows? I was thinking that the universal bellows might cause an issue. Obviously the 8x10 doesn't have a universal bellows.

Anyway good example imagery

~Stone

Greg
1-May-2016, 05:49
My Whole Plate and 11x14 (previous Sinar lens board model) Chamonix cameras arrived folded like in your video.

campy
1-May-2016, 05:59
I am a complete noob with this type of camera, but how does the manufacturer tell you how to open or close it?

Luis-F-S
1-May-2016, 06:38
I can fold my 8x10 Deardorff without a video!

StoneNYC
1-May-2016, 07:25
My Whole Plate and 11x14 (previous Sinar lens board model) Chamonix cameras arrived folded like in your video.

Thanks, helpful info

I am a complete noob with this type of camera, but how does the manufacturer tell you how to open or close it?

They don't, and as you can see there are variations in design for different sizes, and they continue to make small improvements like the front standard with 2 locking knobs instead of 1 like mine, so changes like that can alter how you fold it, the info is scattered basically.

I can fold my 8x10 Deardorff without a video!

Yes yes you already said on Facebook... Lol

Luis-F-S
1-May-2016, 08:15
Yes yes you already said on Facebook... Lol

Never been on Facebook. LOL

vinny
1-May-2016, 08:24
There are 2 versions of the chamonix 8x10. The first one (lighter, two knobs 2 knob front standard, and auxillary bellows support) with the wood t-shaped base and the current version with wood/carbon fiber base.

StoneNYC
1-May-2016, 08:42
There are 2 versions of the chamonix 8x10. The first one (lighter, two knobs 2 knob front standard, and auxillary bellows support) with the wood t-shaped base and the current version with wood/carbon fiber base.

There are two official versions but as you can see mine is the newer full CF base and no auxiliary support but the front standard has a single locking knob, the newer ones have 2 knobs, one for rise and fall and one for tilt. I'm being told this version can't swing around.

soeren
1-May-2016, 08:51
Thanks for posting this, interesting, the screw sticks out on my 8x10 too, but it's bigger so isn't really in the way as much, thanks for trying it out, really don't know why the Facebook guy said it works for him.

Different standards perhaps? The screw sticking our could be a problem for me if it hooks on to stuff when packing/unpacking, a potential disaster to happen.

So I noticed the picture has a gap, and no Velcro to hold it in place, but mostly the camera isn't fully closed, is this because of the bellows compression?

Yes

Is it a universal bellows? I was thinking that the universal bellows might cause an issue. Obviously the 8x10 doesn't have a universal bellows.

Anyway good example imagery

~Stone
Yes it's the universal bellows and the metal does leave a mark on either side by compression but the pressure is not that much and the bellows have enough spongy ness (spl? How else am I to put it) it's also what keeps the standard from morning to the stops

vinny
1-May-2016, 09:28
There are two official versions but as you can see mine is the newer full CF base and no auxiliary support but the front standard has a single locking knob, the newer ones have 2 knobs, one for rise and fall and one for tilt. I'm being told this version can't swing around.

The original 8x10 has two knobs, not the current model.

StoneNYC
1-May-2016, 09:48

Oh! Fascinating! Thanks.

Jim Becia
1-May-2016, 14:44

Vinny,

I'm curious about how accurate and up to date the photos are on the Chamonix site, particularly for the 8x10. If you look closely at several of the images where they show the front standard, I notice that some pics show the axis tilt 1/3 of the way down the standard, and others show it 2/3 of the way down. Matter of fact if you look closely at the two pics of the front standard, they are also different. Would be nice if Chamonix cleared up the confusion as to which front standard is current.

ic-racer
1-May-2016, 19:56
Folding the Shen-Hao is very slick. The front standard is not removed from the focusing track. However, there is a trick to it which us Shen-Hao owners keep a secret.

Vaughn
1-May-2016, 21:18
Nice done video. Much prefer the birds and wind to obnoxious music! It is a rather small niche in the world of videos...Chamonix 8x10 owners and those of us drooling! LOL!