PDA

View Full Version : Adox CMS 20 II ???

Two23
26-Apr-2016, 20:42
I just read a little about Adox CMS 20 II B&H website. What I'm looking for is b&w sheets for my 4x5 with very low ISO. This film can be rated at ISO 5? My idea is a low ISO film that will let me shoot my pre-Civil War Petzvals wide open during the day. I'm thinking of "regular" landscape and architecture photos plus portraits of Civil War re-enactors. Will this do what I want? I don't do my own film processing--does it have to be developed using its own special processor? Anyone have any experience with this stuff?

Kent in SD

koraks
27-Apr-2016, 00:41
Why not try to mount an ND filter in front of the lens? Filters such as those made by Lee or Hitec should be a viable option. It would broaden your choice of film considerably and you won't be stuck with a film that I understand is challenging to work with in terms of contrast.

Alan9940
27-Apr-2016, 10:22
Hi Kent,

I've used quite a bit of CMS 20 in 35mm and I shoot it at EI 12. Yes, it does require its own developer--currently Adox Adotech II--but, a new III version is just beginning to hit the market and, according to what I've read, will be much easier to use. I'm sure other developers could be used, but my experience has been only with Adotech.

cuypers1807
27-Apr-2016, 11:18
Rollei RPX25 comes in 4x5 from Freestyle. It is a true ISO 25 film though and I wouldn't rate it any slower.

Jim Noel
27-Apr-2016, 12:43
I use 8 stop gels taped to the rear of such lenses. They are available in 10"x10" sheets from stage and lighting suppliers for a very reasonable price. They are so thin that any slight imperfections do not effect the image.

Two23
27-Apr-2016, 15:38
Did some reading on the film, and the high contrast is a deal killer for me. I'm wanting a lower contrast for a more vintage look. I do have a box of Efke 25 sitting in my refrigator, and I've been using that with ND filters in the front of the lens. Was not aware I could use gels over the rear, and that would work a lot better for me.

Kent in SD

Alan9940
27-Apr-2016, 19:22
Did some reading on the film, and the high contrast is a deal killer for me. I'm wanting a lower contrast for a more vintage look. I do have a box of Efke 25 sitting in my refrigator, and I've been using that with ND filters in the front of the lens. Was not aware I could use gels over the rear, and that would work a lot better for me.

Kent in SD

Kent,

CMS 20 II is only high contrast if you don't follow the directions for developing it and/or don't use the specific Adotech developer. I used quite a bit of Techpan back in the day and several ISO 25 speed film; CMS 20 II, in my experience, reveals less contrast than any of these "standard" films. I can easily print on fiber VC paper using grade 2 filtration.