PDA

View Full Version : How do I mount an Agfa Super-Intergon 305/9 ?

F64
26-Apr-2016, 10:41
Bought this massive chunk of glass that shows a lot of promise, BUT

how do I mount it?

The thing at the bottom looks like a flange but seems a single piece with the rest. Anyone with experience with this lens?
Thanks

djdister
26-Apr-2016, 11:13
The lens has mounting threads but no flange. You can either 1) have someone create a flange that the threads will screw into, or 2) bore out a blank lens board and create matching threads to screw it directly into the lens board.

F64
26-Apr-2016, 11:53
Thanks. The only thread seems in the front. is the lens to be mounted reversed?

Dan Fromm
26-Apr-2016, 12:16
Thanks. The only thread seems in the front. is the lens to be mounted reversed?

I think the mounting threads are at the rear, behind the diaphragm.

I have no idea who in Italy stocks flanges or makes custom ones. If you want to deal with a US supplier, try www.skgrimes.com

Agfa copy machine lenses sell for very little because they're hard to put to use. Good luck with yours.

pdh
26-Apr-2016, 12:25
I know I'm a bit of a herbert when it comes to this sort of thing, but I've mounted similar lenses by jamming them through a hole in a bit of heavy cardboard, and hoping the interference fit holds it in for the length of the exposure ... :D

Greg
26-Apr-2016, 12:33
Have mounted and now use some lenses which I've hot-glued into lens boards. Easy and quick to do and Hot-glue is just strong enough to hold the lens. Even "mounted" one large copy lens this way. It's easily irreversible if need be in the future. Hot-glue I'm using is slightly opaque white so covering it with flat black paint prevents light leaks.

Bob Salomon
26-Apr-2016, 13:18
Have mounted and now use some lenses which I've hot-glued into lens boards. Easy and quick to do and Hot-glue is just strong enough to hold the lens. Even "mounted" one large copy lens this way. It's easily irreversible if need be in the future. Hot-glue I'm using is slightly opaque white so covering it with flat black paint prevents light leaks.

Don't you mean reversible?

F64
26-Apr-2016, 13:49
@Dan: No problem having a flange made. The problem is that there are no threads in the back. That's why I thought that the flange was there, at the rear. But I'm not sure and, although the lens is not very expensive, I'd hate to ruin a fine lens with a monkey wrench trying to loosen up what is fixed.
@pdh, Greg: I'll try that if everything else fails: the lens is quite heavy.

Dan Fromm
26-Apr-2016, 13:58
What are the threads that are clearly visible in image #3?

F64
26-Apr-2016, 14:11
They are in the front, I think to mount the lens reversed.

IanG
26-Apr-2016, 14:18
What are the threads that are clearly visible in image #3?

It's a huge problem finding the right flanges. As Dan says there's the mounting threads behind the aperture ring, but the pitch can vary as well as the size. I have a box of about 60 flanges, I add more when they are cheap, but matching to lenses is hit and miss unless marked TTH :D

Ian

John Jarosz
26-Apr-2016, 15:03
I have the same lens. In the third picture of your first post the threads are on the right. Those are the mounting threads at the rear of the lens. Mine came with a mounting flange although I see many on ebay that do not have flanges. I've had mine for over ten years. Very sharp on my 8x10 when used as I have described.

Here's a link to a very old thread on photo.net. I found it when looking for info on this lens.
http://photo.net/large-format-photography-forum/004O5p

I have tried the 305 on my 8x20. It does cover, there is some light falloff in the corners. While I don't use it on my 8x20 as I have different 305, I felt it necessary to mention what I've found. I have had very good results with it on 8x10, so it's worth looking for a flange.

LabRat
26-Apr-2016, 15:40
This lens (from a copier/lucy/printer/repro camera???) is probably optimized for 1:1 or other common reproduction ratio... But it can be used at further focus ranges if you allow the lens to be reversed... If the front & rear barrels are the same dia., a clamping sleeve fit would be better so the lens can be easily reversed, and cheaper/easier than getting a flange cut before you decide if you like using this lens...

Because of the marking orientations, the threaded end with the longer barrel was supposed to go into the device (camera???)...

Good luck!!!

Steve K

Dan Fromm
26-Apr-2016, 15:48
Steve, these beasts are symmetrical plasmats in the same family as but not with the same prescription as G-Clarons. Their symmetry means that orientation doesn't matter.

They're copy camera lenses. People have been buying them and then wondering what to do with them for ages and ages. In the bad old days -- no forums like this, just usenet with flame wars that make our little squabbles look like patty cake -- opinions on Agfa copy lenses were divided but the consensus was that they're mediocre.

LabRat
26-Apr-2016, 16:08
Thanks Dan, makes sense!!!

For this lens, follow my old rule "If in doubt, try it out"... I would just bore out a piece of plywood disc and cut a small cut at the bottom with a screw across it to form a clamp sleeve, that attaches to a test lensboard and give a a go... It will make an image, but will you like it!?!!! You might (or not)!!!! At least it's a cheap/easy way to test...) But I have some woodworking tools/skills that can make an easy test jig, so I'm biased...

Steve K

B.S.Kumar
26-Apr-2016, 16:09
Mount it like this

Make two boards joined with struts at all four corners. The one on the left goes into the camera, and has a hole through which the lens just fits. Use tape to block any light leakage. The board on the right has threads that will mate with the threads on the lens.

Kumar

Edit: The hole on the left board will have to be slightly larger to let the lens turn when it is being screwed on to the board on the right. Some tape around the hole will be necessary.

Corran
26-Apr-2016, 17:01
I have tried the 305 on my 8x20. It does cover, there is some light falloff in the corners. While I don't use it on my 8x20 as I have different 305, I felt it necessary to mention what I've found. I have had very good results with it on 8x10, so it's worth looking for a flange.

Do you perchance have any images to share from the Afga on 8x20? Do you mean light falloff or actual vignetting? I have only gotten one good negative so far on my 8x20 and I'm just curious. I happened upon several Agfa Super-Intergons last year as well as a set of Konica Hexanon GRII process lenses and now have like half a dozen process lenses on my shelf collecting dust, including a number of 305mm ones. I found an older 305mm G-Claron in shutter immediately after buying the process lenses, which I've been attempting to use instead (though the shutter is giving me trouble).

F64
27-Apr-2016, 02:14
Thanks everybody.
This is not the first process lens I have, nor the first Agfa/Staeble/Eskofot/Helioprint lens. in fact, I have a 100 and a 150, and they areboth very sharp. Hence, the idea of trying a 300mm. I only photograph still life.
But sure this beast looks weird. I will try it in some makeshift way to see if it's worthwhile going the trouble.

pjd
28-Apr-2016, 06:20
I've got one of these lenses, which I mounted on a lens board but have yet to use. I made a plywood board for a 2D, cut a tight fitting hole for the lens and then clamped it in place at the back with a jubilee clip with some rubber around it to stop the clip marking the barrel. Very cheap, and certainly good enough to allow you to try the lens and decide if you want to spend more money on something more elegant.

F64
29-Apr-2016, 09:15
Great idea! Thank you.

F64
3-May-2016, 13:12
@pjd: thanks a lot for your suggestion. It works like a charm, and a flange for 80 cents is hard to beat! The lens did not disappoint me: very sharp and nice colors.

AtlantaTerry
3-May-2016, 19:25
Where does one find these lenses? I telephoned a couple copier repair businesses and they didn't seem too friendly.

Corran
3-May-2016, 19:29
eBay would be a good start. I've got a number of process lenses I bought to mess with potentially on an enlarger but I just haven't had time to do it. If you want one I am likely listing some of them in the classifieds soon.

Dan Fromm
3-May-2016, 19:33
Terry, they turn up on eBay. Look for Intergons, Super-Intergons, Helioprint, Ultragon and Repromaster lenses. They were all made by Staeble, a division of Agfa. Also look for Konica Hexanon GR II lenses. The KH GR IIs I've used have been very good but a little flary.

All of these beasties are harder to put to use than G-Claron and some Apo Ronars. They don't have quite the good reputation of Apo Artars, Apo Nikkors, Apo Ronars and G Clarons so usually sell for less. You might also think about Apo Saphirs and Apo Skopars, both underrated Heliar type process lenses.

AtlantaTerry
3-May-2016, 21:19
Terry, they turn up on eBay. Look for Intergons, Super-Intergons, Helioprint, Ultragon and Repromaster lenses. They were all made by Staeble, a division of Agfa. Also look for Konica Hexanon GR II lenses. The KH GR IIs I've used have been very good but a little flary.

All of these beasties are harder to put to use than G-Claron and some Apo Ronars. They don't have quite the good reputation of Apo Artars, Apo Nikkors, Apo Ronars and G Clarons so usually sell for less. You might also think about Apo Saphirs and Apo Skopars, both underrated Heliar type process lenses.

Thank you. This is very useful information that I have been looking for.

pdh
4-May-2016, 00:30
They can be had very inexpensively indeed.
I got a pair of Repromasters (150/9 & 213/9.25) plus a working densitometer for about £12, and I've recently seen a bundle of three (150/9, 213/9 & 240/9) listed for only a little more.

F64
4-May-2016, 09:28
Ah! Interesting. Where are you looking at?

pdh
4-May-2016, 10:01
ebay.co.uk
oops sorry it's finished ...
I think forum rules mean i can't post a link to the listing, but go to ebay.co.uk, search for repromaster and then tick the box for completed/sold listings. the listing number was 291745929606

Dan Fromm
4-May-2016, 13:59
ebay.co.uk
oops sorry it's finished ...
I think forum rules mean i can't post a link to the listing, but go to ebay.co.uk, search for repromaster and then tick the box for completed/sold listings. the listing number was 291745929606

The last time I checked there was no such, um, broad spectrum rule published. Oren Grad made one up to the effect that links to ephemeral pages are prohibited. Not so, but that doesn't stop him from deleting posts with such links in them. One way around his silliness is to save the page on www.archive.org and then post a link to the archived page. Saving pages on archive.org is easy.

There is, however, a published rule that forbids posts to ebay in for sale listings.

F64
5-May-2016, 02:37
@pdh: thanks. I look at ebay.it and I fail to remember that it does not really include all the other European ebays. Prices vary a lot: my Eskofot 150/9 cost 7e, my 305 45e. And I've seen prices larger than 100e.

pjd
6-May-2016, 22:43
@pjd: thanks a lot for your suggestion. It works like a charm, and a flange for 80 cents is hard to beat! The lens did not disappoint me: very sharp and nice colors.

Great! I'm glad it worked out. You've inspired me to get my Super-Intergon out, I've had it for years but only recently mounted it on a lens board.