PDA

View Full Version : What have I got?

mikl
20-Apr-2016, 23:17
Just bought this.
A mate was in a junk shop in another state (Australia) and sent me a couple of pics, price was definitely reasonable enough to take a punt on so I bought it.
What is it? Any idea on size? All that is on the tags is Eastman Kodak Folmer & Shwing Dept. no identifying numbers, no lens and I don't think it has a back or GG, carriage is in great condition he says..
Now I have to wait until said mate drops it off in a few weeks.
Michael

mikl
21-Apr-2016, 00:38
Would certainly help if I put the photo's in I guess. See below in this post.
Michael

Just bought this.
A mate was in a junk shop in another state (Australia) and sent me a couple of pics, price was definitely reasonable enough to take a punt on so I bought it.
What is it? Any idea on size? All that is on the tags is Eastman Kodak Folmer & Shwing Dept. no identifying numbers, no lens and I don't think it has a back or GG, carriage is in great condition he says..
Now I have to wait until said mate drops it off in a few weeks.
Michael

https://photos.smugmug.com/Film-Cameras/i-f4N3pTG/0/M/IMG_1204-M.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/Film-Cameras/i-Dt8TSbZ/0/M/IMG_1205-M.jpg

pierre506
21-Apr-2016, 04:37
Eastman Kodak studio 8x10 camera with a sliding carraige ( without the focusing group) on the stand~

通过我的 SCH-I959 上的 Tapatalk发言

mikl
21-Apr-2016, 05:00
Thanks Pierre, great place for me to start. I thought it would have been a bigger format but oh well lol. Can't wait for it to turn up!
Michael

mikl
21-Apr-2016, 15:45
Mods can you move to appropriate sub forum as it seems I have a 8x10 not ULF
Michael

Two23
21-Apr-2016, 16:04
I think these kinds of cameras were often used in newspaper offices to make copies. They needed a long bellows for that sort of macro work. Impressive looking but not very practical as a "general use" camera.

Kent in SD

IanG
21-Apr-2016, 16:17
I think these kinds of cameras were often used in newspaper offices to make copies. They needed a long bellows for that sort of macro work. Impressive looking but not very practical as a "general use" camera.

Kent in SD

Are you saying it's a Process camera ?

I think it's a portrait studio camera made long after they should have died a death :D

Ian

Tin Can
21-Apr-2016, 16:42
Well, I think that type camera AND stand are very usable today for their original purpose.

Studio portraits.

Until you use the 3 legged monster you cannot imagine how well it works in a STUDIO.

Try it, for what it was designed for.

koh303
21-Apr-2016, 17:31
click bait title. :(

Duolab123
21-Apr-2016, 17:37
That looks great! Did it come with a lens and a Packard shutter? I've got a big Saltzman tripod, incredible but trying to move it without a dolly is a real pain. Very nice find.
Mike

mikl
21-Apr-2016, 19:29
Hi Kent not sure about the newspaper thing and yes not very practical but I have a use in mind for it so I am excited!
Michael

Ian, died a death, nah it is a thing of beauty.

Randy, hit the nail on the head, I have some studio work in mind for it. I think I have to source lens and film holder oh and GG. I will probably make the last 2.

Koh ??????????

Mike, I am pretty happy believe me now I just have to wait for it to turn up.

Michael

Kent in SD

AtlantaTerry
21-Apr-2016, 20:10
I don't see much in the way of movements for the lens or film standards. Therefore I believe this is a graphic arts camera.

Back in the late '60s, when I was a staff photojournalist at the Akron, Ohio Beacon-Journal, we used a camera like this to copy photos to use for articles and obituaries.

Tin Can
21-Apr-2016, 20:29
My grey Ansco version, very similiar, came with a 4" ID internal Packard shutter that I didn't notice right away. It was open and I was new to this game. Since the shutter was so big, I thought it was just a hole...

When I removed that shutter I found the middle standard had a lens board mount on it, same as the front standard. I guess for a shorter lens and the front bellows could have been a shade.

Mine had only a 5x7 normal back, but I soon found an 8x10 Eastman back that fit right on.

My Ansco had very tough bellows, with no holes and limited movement, but worked just dandy for it's purpose.

I sold mine when I moved up to a bigger thing and I was out of room. However, I kept the shutter and put it in my next monster.

Peter De Smidt
21-Apr-2016, 20:29
As others have said, it's a studio portrait camera, and a very good one at that. It has back shift, tilt and swing, just like the other Century portrait cameras.

Tin Can
21-Apr-2016, 20:32
I don't see much in the way of movements for the lens or film standards. Therefore I believe this is a graphic arts camera.

Back in the late '60s, when I was a staff photojournalist at the Akron, Ohio Beacon-Journal, we used a camera like this to copy photos to use for articles and obituaries.

Yes, it has movements despite being a tailboard, all the better for big lenses. The rear standard has the usual tilt and swing, which is all they used for portraits then.

Of course it could copy, perhaps mine as I just described copied using the middle standard.

mikl
21-Apr-2016, 20:50

Terry I am guessing here as I am still yet to actually see the camera but the knobs on the rails would be the movements def. side and swing.

Randy, yours is painted by the sounds of it, this one is too but I thought it may have been done much after it left the factory but I have found some photo's that seem to indicate some were like that from new. What is yours like under the paint, any idea? What timber it is made out of etc? I am hoping that mine is like yours, hidden lenses and shutters, now that would sweeten the deal!

Peter, thanks.

Anyone have a preference for a portrait lens?

Michael

LabRat
21-Apr-2016, 21:20
Turn it into a horizontal enlarger so you don't have to move it around outside...

:-0

Steve K

Tin Can
21-Apr-2016, 22:01
Terry I am guessing here as I am still yet to actually see the camera but the knobs on the rails would be the movements def. side and swing.

Randy, yours is painted by the sounds of it, this one is too but I thought it may have been done much after it left the factory but I have found some photo's that seem to indicate some were like that from new. What is yours like under the paint, any idea? What timber it is made out of etc? I am hoping that mine is like yours, hidden lenses and shutters, now that would sweeten the deal!

Peter, thanks.

Anyone have a preference for a portrait lens?

Michael

They was a time, when USA loved industrial grey paint. It meant Military Grade and High Tech. When mine was made, the grey paint was an expensive option. Right over nice wood at the factory. Not kidding.

I never stripped or 'restored' mine, however used it as was for several years and then sold it for an excellent profit. Which of course means I bought right.

All lenses are 'Portrait' lenses.

mikl
21-Apr-2016, 22:24
Steve, now that would be interesting!

Randy if this is the way it came originally I don't think I will change it as much as I love wood and patina is always welcome round here.
I basically bought this for pennies so like you I think I bought right, well truth be known I probably would have passed on it if it was much dearer as I have not long had the Sinar 4x5 and am in the process of buying a Toyo 8x10. Agree that any lens is a portrait lens but what about on these (I am still just dabbling but I can see digi in my world fading like a 1980's fax) ok so maybe re phrase.... What is the "ideal" lens for portraits?
Michael

Tin Can
21-Apr-2016, 23:25
Steve, now that would be interesting!

Randy if this is the way it came originally I don't think I will change it as much as I love wood and patina is always welcome round here.
I basically bought this for pennies so like you I think I bought right, well truth be known I probably would have passed on it if it was much dearer as I have not long had the Sinar 4x5 and am in the process of buying a Toyo 8x10. Agree that any lens is a portrait lens but what about on these (I am still just dabbling but I can see digi in my world fading like a 1980's fax) ok so maybe re phrase.... What is the "ideal" lens for portraits?
Michael

I am not an expert on lenses. I like them all. Right now I am using a Nikkor 610 mm on 11x14 for portrait. With a studio Deardorff SC11 on factory Bipost. Look here. http://deardorffcameras.0catch.com/s11/s11.html

The camera and lens were NOT made for portraits, but the camera was the high definition camera designed for Chicago catalog mail order sales of 1929 depression. Perhaps 500 made and used right up to the digital revolution.

Do some research on this forum for what other's think are good lenses for portrait. You will get many answers. I prefer to weigh them. :)

mikl
22-Apr-2016, 00:27
Yikes 20 foot stand, that is big.
Michael

Peter De Smidt
22-Apr-2016, 07:28
The issue is that the old portrait lenses have become quite expensive. As in, really, really expensive. To give a better answer, what format do you plan to use, and what type of portraits? The more info you give, the better.

For head'n'shoulders with an 8x10, something like a 480mm APO-Nikkor or a Ronar would be a good choice. They are very high quality lenses, and with some patient looking you can find them for a reasonable amount. If you have a Packard shutter, or similar, you can buy the lenses in a barrel which really helps with the price. These are very sharp lenses. For the opposite extreme, a big Verito, such as George Hurrell used in his early years, are fairly common, and thus more affordable than some of the other famous soft focus lenses. Soft focus lenses can be a real challenge to focus properly.

I'll be posting portrait test images made with a Fuji 420L, and 480 and 600mm Nikkors later today.

Kodachrome25
23-Apr-2016, 08:44
That for portraits? Nah, just use a good medium format camera and get down to business. As for the hardware in the photos, I would convert that sucker into a good horizontal mural enlarger.

Tin Can
23-Apr-2016, 08:53
That for portraits? Nah, just use a good medium format camera and get down to business. As for the hardware in the photos, I would convert that sucker into a good horizontal mural enlarger.

Have you quit LF life?

Where's the joy and adventure?

Peter De Smidt
23-Apr-2016, 09:40
Some of us love using these old cameras. Think of all of the portraits that must've been taken with that camera down through the decades. We live at a great moment. We still have very affordable film that's much faster than what they had when the camera was made. We also have a large assortment of lighting technologies that mean we don't have cook our subjects. Finally, yes, LF portraiture is challenging...that's part of what makes it fun.

Back to the original poster, a 15" Cooke Aviar is another nice lens, one's that midway between a super sharp and contrasty graphic arts lens and the soft focus beauties. It's easier to focus than the latter, as well.

Peter De Smidt
23-Apr-2016, 12:54
Lens tests at: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?129912-Lens-Comparison-on-4x5-Symmar-Imagon-Aviar/page3

Kodachrome25
23-Apr-2016, 15:07
Have you quit LF life?

Where's the joy and adventure?

Heck no, been shooting a lot of 4x5 lately but that is because it was the right tool for that job.

I still think this camera has the makings for a great mural enlarger...;-)

Robert Opheim
23-Apr-2016, 15:19
We had a camera similar to this camera - for our portrait classes when I studied photography in college. It was an 8x10 like this this one - we shot 4x5 with it with a step-down back. These cameras make really wonderful portraits - you need so added skills to be successful with them. Lenses can be found that take wonderful images - they don't have to be collector lenses.

Michael Dodd
23-Apr-2016, 15:25
I think you have a # 8 which is 11x14 if I am correct ?

Peter De Smidt
23-Apr-2016, 15:36
Yeah, a No. 8 can go up to 11x14.

goamules
23-Apr-2016, 16:42
Since no one mentioned it, I'll tell you what they're good for. Big lenses. I've got 3-4 Studio Cameras, and that's what they did: took studio portraits in every photographic studio in every city in America from about 1870 to 1950. If you want an F3.8, 16 inch Petzval or an F3.5 Varium 16 inch, you need a big, robust front and a big 9" lensboard. I had a guy the other day trying to buy a 16" Vitax from me, and put it on a light field camera. I told him the lens would be bigger than the camera, he'd have to make a lensboard extension to wrangle the giant 6" flange onto the small 6" lensboard, and basically it would tip his camera over onto the expensive lens. He didn't listen, was a total novice, and I'm sure about now tipping expensive lenses onto the ground and breaking front standards.

Big lenses went on big cameras, for 8x10 and 11x14. If you want to shoot wetplate, a Studio camera is the perfect, historical choice. But it is for film too. They're not just enlargers or process cameras.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4072/4436369659_0c35f337a4_o.jpg

goamules
23-Apr-2016, 16:51
By the way, that camera in the first post was almost assuredly painted grey after the fact. It was originally wood stained, but they were repurposed for the military, and if the Navy, they wanted everything gray. See how the spring latch for the back is painted gray too? Century or Folmer wouldn't have done that from the factory, it would wear off too fast. This is a aftermarket paint job. The camera was probably 20-30 years old, and then used in WWII for portraits of officers before going off to war.

mikl
23-Apr-2016, 21:46
Garrett I am hoping you are right re the paint it will be easy to tell once I physically have it and yes wet plate is the ultimate goal. I will be on the lookout for a "big" lens too.

Michael & Peter I am hoping you are right re the 11x14.

Peter I am off to check out your lens comparo, thanks for the heads up!

Michael

mikl
24-Apr-2016, 15:00
Goamules I think you are 100% correct re the paint as I found a photo of a grey one online and although close to the same colour the metal "bits" are just that a metal but not brass and definitely not painted.
Michael

https://photos.smugmug.com/Film-Cameras/i-vcMN97K/0/M/cf5e3ff6508a1d1a74585680936043c3-M.jpg

mikl
23-Jul-2016, 05:35
Well I still haven't got my camera from interstate but my mate sent me a heap of pics, last night so it is a Century 9A on a 1A stand with a 5x7 back, missing a few bits but more complete than I thought so I am very happy, Garret these pics seem to back up your and my thoughts re the camera being painted much later, in fact my friend tells me it is almost green. By the images the paint is also very thin so I am happy about that for when the restoration starts. Anyway some more photo's for you and thanks so much for leading me down the right path funny there are original plaques all over it but when I was talking to the sales girl in the pawn brokers she told me there was no identifying marks other than on the sliding back, sheesh some people are lazy!
Michael

https://photos.smugmug.com/Film-Cameras/i-z97pQjm/0/M/kodak_plate_0009-M.jpghttps://photos.smugmug.com/Film-Cameras/i-FQzbFKC/0/M/kodak_plate_0013-M.jpghttps://photos.smugmug.com/Film-Cameras/i-Msb8D7n/0/M/kodak_plate_0011-M.jpg153195https://photos.smugmug.com/Film-Cameras/i-N6Hrvg6/0/M/kodak_plate_0002-M.jpg

mikl
23-Jul-2016, 05:35
Last 4
Michael

https://photos.smugmug.com/Film-Cameras/i-WNgd3Gx/0/M/kodak_plate_0012-M.jpghttps://photos.smugmug.com/Film-Cameras/i-gR9wzBq/0/M/kodak_plate_0016-M.jpghttps://photos.smugmug.com/Film-Cameras/i-v9rFhcz/0/M/kodak_plate_0006-M.jpghttps://photos.smugmug.com/Film-Cameras/i-KNqGCDs/0/M/kodak_plate_0007-M.jpg