PDA

View Full Version : Copal #1 on a Pre-Anniversary Speed Graphic

Kyle M.
19-Apr-2016, 16:48
I have a Pre-Anniversary Spedd graphic that I would like to mount my 8.5" Ilex Acutar too. The Acutar is in a Copal #1 shutter but the problem is the thickness of the lens board. The Pre-Anniversary boards are way too thick for the Copal #1. I have a few thinner home made boards that were included with the camera one of which seems to be drilled for a Copal #1. The problem is it is also little too thick. I can get the retaining ring started but it doesn't go far enough to allow me to screw the rear element of the lens in all the way. Are there Copals with longer mounting sections? or do I need a board that is recessed in the rear? Or is there something else that I'm missing? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Kyle.

Dan Fromm
19-Apr-2016, 17:22
Discuss flanges with SKGrimes. See: http://www.skgrimes.com/products/mounting-flanges/metric-stock-flanges

In your situation, a flange that's held to the board by three or four screws and that the shutter screws into may work better than clamping the board between retaining ring and shutter.

jp
19-Apr-2016, 17:44
Another option would be to find a adapter board that lets you put the smaller and thin metal pacemaker speed graphic / crown graphic boards on the older speed graphic.

Kyle M.
19-Apr-2016, 17:53
Another option would be to find a adapter board that lets you put the smaller and thin metal pacemaker speed graphic / crown graphic boards on the older speed graphic.

That would be the best option if such a thing exists. The lens in question is currently in a pacemaker board because I was previously using it on my crown graphic. I also have several spare pacemaker boards.

Oren Grad
19-Apr-2016, 17:58
Another option is to have a countersunk drilling, which will give you a thinner area immediately surrounding the hole. I've had lenses in smaller Copal shutters mounted on wooden boards that way.

jp
19-Apr-2016, 18:02
option if such a thing exists.

http://new55project.blogspot.com/2011/02/pacemaker-to-anniversary-graphic.html

Kyle M.
19-Apr-2016, 18:12
http://new55project.blogspot.com/2011/02/pacemaker-to-anniversary-graphic.html

Thanks. I actually know someone who has one of these on a Graphic View, I just didn't realize it was the same size. I may very well have to look into one of these. Also going to see about Oren's idea as well.

BrianShaw
19-Apr-2016, 20:55
I build up C boards in two parts of 1/8 inch Baltic plywood. If countersink is needed cut hole in front half to Copal 1 size and hole in back half bigger. Then bond front and back pieces. It's about a 30 minute effort, not counting the dry time on glue and paint.

Kyle M.
21-Apr-2016, 09:08
In the end I just decided to buy the adapter board. It will be nice to have in the long run since I already have 3 lenses mounted on Pacemaker boards.

Kyle M.
23-Apr-2016, 15:21
My adapter board came in the mail today and it works great. I've now gone from 1 lens to 5 lenses that I can use on the Speed Graphic, and four of them can also go right on my Pacemaker Crown Graphic.