PDA

View Full Version : Extreme wide angle lens for Full Plate

Greg
19-Apr-2016, 06:20
My widest angle lens for my Whole Plate camera is a Fujinon 105mm f/8 lens. Fuji specs it as covering an image circle of 250mm. In practice, it covers a smidgen more and is able to cover the Whole Plate format on-center.

Am looking for an even more extreme wide angle lens. Whole Plate diagonal is 270mm. Actual image on film's diagonal is 260mm. Final 6"x9" print's diagonal is 254mm. Vade Mecum lists 60mm and a 75mm Hypergons, but I've never come across one FS.

I did acquire a 90mm f/14 Berthiot Paris Perigraphe but sadly doesn't fully cover Whole Plate.

thanks

Ted R
19-Apr-2016, 06:44
The Schneider Super Angulon 90 looks promising, the XL version has an image circle 259mm, 110 degree FOV.

goamules
19-Apr-2016, 06:44
A Protar V would be a good one. A 4 7/16" focal length will cover stopped down, or the next size, 5 9/16 will cover open at F18.

vinny
19-Apr-2016, 07:03
90mm super angulon xl

Corran
19-Apr-2016, 10:57
I'll go ahead and add a +1 for the 90XL.

For reference, here's what it covers when on 8x10:

http://www.oceanstarproductions.com/photosharing/langdale-3053-810coverage.jpg

Focused down to just about a foot in front of the camera. Notice the lens was slightly out of center unintentionally. The bottom L/R show the bed of the camera...

Greg
19-Apr-2016, 11:11
Thanks... My older Schneider catalogue only lists the 90mm f/5.6 Super Angulon which covers 235mm. Didn't realize that the XL covers so much more. Cost, including a central ND filter, bit more than I planned on but hopefully will find one at a good price in time.
thanks

Jim Noel
19-Apr-2016, 11:27
My widest angle lens for my Whole Plate camera is a Fujinon 105mm f/8 lens. Fuji specs it as covering an image circle of 250mm. In practice, it covers a smidgen more and is able to cover the Whole Plate format on-center.

Am looking for an even more extreme wide angle lens. Whole Plate diagonal is 270mm. Actual image on film's diagonal is 260mm. Final 6"x9" print's diagonal is 254mm. Vade Mecum lists 60mm and a 75mm Hypergons, but I've never come across one FS.

I did acquire a 90mm f/14 Berthiot Paris Perigraphe but sadly doesn't fully cover Whole Plate.

thanks

If you find a Hypergon for sale,which does happen occasionally, you need to be prepared to max out a credit card or two.

Greg
19-Apr-2016, 11:27
I'll go ahead and add a +1 for the 90XL.

For reference, here's what it covers when on 8x10:

http://www.oceanstarproductions.com/photosharing/langdale-3053-810coverage.jpg

Focused down to just about a foot in front of the camera. Notice the lens was slightly out of center unintentionally. The bottom L/R show the bed of the camera...

Had the same unintentional slightly out of center problem when using my 5.9” No. 5 Gray Periscope lens on my 11x14 Chamonix. The lens covers 11x14 but absolutely just barely, bordering on not really. Solution for me is to frame the image on the GG, stop the lens down, take the back off, and then go to each of the corners and view the aperture. Move the lens ever so slightly to when it disappears at the same distance from each of the corners. Then I know the lens is on center. It's a pain to do but works.

Corran
19-Apr-2016, 11:39
Due to the camera bed coming into the frame anyway my solution is a 6x10 crop :).

I believe if you look at many of Clyde Butcher's images, you'll notice a similar crop. He uses a 90XL on 8x10 too.

I happen to know someone who could say more about the Hypergon, but I'll let him chime in one day if he wants.

Greg
19-Apr-2016, 11:41
If you find a Hypergon for sale,which does happen occasionally, you need to be prepared to max out a credit card or two.

Actually a 75mm Hypergon-Doppel Anastigmat D.R.P. Cp Goerz Berlin now up at auction for only $3,750.00. The funny/sad part is that it's probably a buy for that price. Vade Mecum states that the Topogon replaced the Hypergon. Have seen a Topogon up for sale in the States but for an exorbitant asking price.

Mark Sawyer
19-Apr-2016, 12:17
The figures I've seen on the Topogon have it only covering 90 to 100 degrees. The Metrogon is a B&L copy of the Topogon, and much cheaper, but is usually found only in the 6-inch (150mm) length, which just covers 8x10. The Hypergon covers 140 degrees, and a 60mm would cover whole plate, but yup, rare and expensive.

Mind you, a good center filter on any ultra-mega-turbo-wide angle is as much a concern as the coverage of the lens, (except on the Hypergon, if it has its fan).

Louis Pacilla
20-Apr-2016, 05:53
Mind you, a good center filter on any ultra-mega-turbo-wide angle is as much a concern as the coverage of the lens, (except on the Hypergon, if it has its fan).

The Hypergon in it's last incarnation was manufactured w/out the spinning star filter and had in it's place a matching center filter which years later are often missing.:rolleyes:

RJ-
22-Apr-2016, 16:44

thanks

Hi Greg,

The design of your whole plate camera is quite important.

One of the wide-angle 90mm XL disasters on whole plate with the Schneider 90mm XL SA here, showing the problem with the full bed in the frame. Corran's camera (or the photographer :) ) has succeeded far better than I have in this early test shot.

Trying to tilt it out of the frame is an exercise in gymnastics and centring the lens. The camera is a Chamonix WP which isn't really suited for this ultra-wide angle shooting btw. Yours may be more successful depending on the design. Tailboard designs are less successful too.

Kind regards,
RJ

Carsten Wolff
23-Apr-2016, 23:06
You could try the 90mm f/8 Acu-Veriwide... Officially (?) a 240-245mm IC lens from memory and my go-to 90mm on 5x7", I shift this lens a lot (>20mm each way) without dramas on 5x7", meaning it should work on FP.