PDA

View Full Version : Dissembling large format multi cell lens?

ryanmills
15-Apr-2016, 13:22
This is particularly for a 240mm Rodenstock S, there is some dust between the lens elements. It's unlikely to effect the image however I do have a lens wrench to pull apart the elements to blow them out. However I'm unsure if there are any seals, tolerances, gaps or torques that would effect by me unscrewing it. Worth noting this in the inner cells not the sides facing the shutter. Would it be as simple as unscrewing it, blowing it out and just tightings it back down again?

Bob Salomon
15-Apr-2016, 14:47
Why not just ignore it since they are having no effect on the performance and your playing may be detrimental?

Peter De Smidt
15-Apr-2016, 14:49
I'm with Bob. Don't worry. Be happy!

Jim Graves
15-Apr-2016, 17:32
+3 ... I have a problem solving chart ... the first entry is: "(Q) Is it working? .... (A) Yes .... (Advice) Don't F*** with it."

ryanmills
15-Apr-2016, 17:38
Well i understand if its not broke don't fix it, however that kind of completely ignores the question and i'm still curious if its something that can be done. Obviously a large format less is quite a lot less complex than an autofocus lens, dissembling would be rather trival with the right tools.

Peter Gomena
15-Apr-2016, 17:58
Take a really good, sharp picture with it now and save it so you can remember how good that lens used to be.

The dust may be an aesthetic annoyance but it will hurt nothing.

I used to work for a photographer whose well-used Hasselblad lens had several metal shavings stuck between the lens elements. He didn't want to have them removed until the shutter needed repair - didn't want to spend the money. You'd never know they were there looking at the pictures.

Randy
15-Apr-2016, 18:20
My dad always said - "maintenance begets maintenance" - but I seldom listened to him and have only buggered a few lenses.

Alan Gales
15-Apr-2016, 19:01
If it ain't broke then don't fix it!

Bob is right as usual.

vinny
15-Apr-2016, 19:31
Have a professional do it. Don't take the lens apart.

Tin Can
15-Apr-2016, 19:39
Yes it can be that simple. Maybe.

But how do you create a totally dust free room to reassemble.

There is dust everywhere and most you cannot see.

Find a computer chip manufacturing clean room, but they won't let that filthy lens in...

and dust is doubling... (http://news.discovery.com/earth/dust-atmosphere-earth-ecology-110201.htm)

Ted R
19-Apr-2016, 06:31
This is particularly for a 240mm Rodenstock S, there is some dust between the lens elements. It's unlikely to effect the image however I do have a lens wrench to pull apart the elements to blow them out. However I'm unsure if there are any seals, tolerances, gaps or torques that would effect by me unscrewing it. Worth noting this in the inner cells not the sides facing the shutter. Would it be as simple as unscrewing it, blowing it out and just tightings it back down again?

I like taking things apart :-) Sometimes I put them back together and they still work. In my (non-professional) experience with large format lenses they are precision assemblies however it would be unusual to find seals inside, and I have never heard of torque specifications for lenses though they may exist, hand tight is tight enough, most of the parts are probably brass and cannot take much force before distorting. Mark the edges of the glass to record the orientation so that things go back together with the same rotational alignment. If you encounter shims note the sequence and location very carefully.

lecarp
19-Apr-2016, 07:41
If you ever plan to sell that lens to someone, leave it alone or send it to a professional.

Jac@stafford.net
19-Apr-2016, 08:35
But how do you create a totally dust free room to reassemble.

Dust is a b*tch. I have it under control in the house with three forced-air HEPA filtered machines. However, most humans shed all the time, so wear clean cotton gloves and long sleeves, and a hat when working. I kid you not.

Bob Salomon
19-Apr-2016, 10:08
I can't show you a 240 but here is a factory cutaway of a 210 N in Copal 1. While it may not seem particularly complicated, it is, and if you screw up centering or spacing while playing the lens becomes basically junk.

EdSawyer
19-Apr-2016, 10:27
It's not that hard to do. I've opened and cleaned many lenses, from 35mm through RZ67 and large-format. They are not that complicated, no seals. As mentioned, keep the spacing and order correct and you should be fine.

-Ed

Ted R
20-Apr-2016, 11:03
PS having encouraged you to go ahead I must also add that I agree with the advice that a few specks of dust make no difference to the performance of the lens. The reason is that the location of the dust in the center of the lens where the shutter and iris blades are located is out of focus. Think about this. The iris is a circular aperture yet closing the aperture does not create a disc shape at the film plane, what it does is reduce the intensity of the light. Dust behaves the same way, it doesn't appear in focus, it reduces the intensity, by an amount that is too small even to calculate never mind measure. A thick coating of dust might be significant and might reduce contrast but a few specks are irrelevant.

Jim Andrada
25-Apr-2016, 22:27
I guess if the dust is between the front cell and the back cell, it's pretty simple. Just unscrew them. I wouldn't get involved in taking the cells themselves apart though. As others have said, "Beware, there be shims!" Occasionally, not always. Be careful and remember where they fell out of. Easier said than done once you discover them on the desk, or on the floor, or wherever, but such is life.

ic-racer
26-Apr-2016, 06:22
If you have a lens wrench go for it. After removing the lens group, place it in a bucket of acetone for about a week, this will soften the glue and allow you to wash away the dust speck. Afterwards, put the lens elements in your jig and re-glue. One problem that crops up is that when you check your work with your USAF test chart , say across a large room, you still may not have flat field even if it is re-glued correctly, as you really need to check it at infinity in your collimator.

Math
4-May-2016, 06:35
I agree with those who say leave it as-is: Getting the bit of dust out changes nothing, and changes of increasing the dust are large.

Complicated however, they are not, as long as you treat them carefully and have the right tools.

What I really can't agree with however is the idea of separating and re-gluing lens elements, you'll never get that flawlessly concentric! Nor would dust settle between the two elements, anyway. Even a lens with heavy separation will work just fine compared to something you re-glued yourself!