PDA

View Full Version : Swapping Copal Shutters?

ryanmills
15-Apr-2016, 13:15
Is there anything that needs to be done other than swapping the f-stop range labels when swapping shutters that are identical? I have a 240mm Rodenstock N, with a nearly new shutter I'm thinking of swapping on to a 240mm Rodenstock S with a ~10 year old shutter.

Kevin Crisp
15-Apr-2016, 14:24
It should be a straight swap. I always measure overall length with a caliper before and after though, just in case.

Emmanuel BIGLER
16-Apr-2016, 10:49
Is there anything that needs to be done other than swapping the f-stop range labels when swapping shutters that are identical?

Hello !

Be very careful when you unscrew the lens elements, front en rear.
It is no uncommon that you'll find a thin spacer ring between the lens cell and the shutter.
Take them off from the old shutter, very carefully (they are fragile) and reinstall them at the same place on the new shutter.
Take your time to do this and do it slowly, comfortably seated in front of a table.

Good luck !

Steve Goldstein
16-Apr-2016, 11:12
Check the small printed part numbers on the corners of the aperture strips - you may not even need to change them. I know for a fact that the 135mm Apo Sironar S and Apo Sironar N use the same strips.

Oren Grad
16-Apr-2016, 12:23
Unless there is evidence that something is wrong with it, there shouldn't normally be a need to swap out a 10-year-old shutter. Copals that are used moderately and properly cared for are good for decades. My own 240 Apo-Sironar-S in Copal 3, purchased new almost 20 years ago, is still fine. (Looked at it again just now!)

New or old, of course, it's wise to exercise any shutter to make sure it's working properly before relying on it for a big project, travel, etc.

EDIT: One other point occurs to me. The Apo-Sironar-N series was discontinued quite a while back now, and Copal 3 shutters have been out of production for a while too. It's unlikely that the shutter of a 240 Apo-Sironar-N will be "nearly new" in a chronological sense, though certainly it may be in excellent condition and have seen little use.

Kevin Crisp
16-Apr-2016, 12:34
I'd second the thought on being very careful during disassembly and checking for shims or spacers. If the donor shutter is unmolested from the factory, you only have one chance to note what goes where.