PDA

View Full Version : Is there any paper similar to Labaphot Silver

ValoPeikko
14-Apr-2016, 00:48
I just came out of the darkroom with a print which placed me in tears. In happiness of actually being able to pull it off and in sadness since it was one of only five sheets of this paper I have left. Would love to buy some more, even expired papers, but nothing seem to be available. Am I forced to do emulsion on aluminium to get even somewhat similar results in future? Or is there an option existing? I'll post the picture below once it's dry enough to scan (not sure how well reflective silver paper scans, but I'll try anyway).

ValoPeikko
14-Apr-2016, 05:08
Here's a example, scanner doesn't do it justice.. enlargement from 9x12 paper negative

domaz
14-Apr-2016, 10:03
I have no suggestions for silver gelatin replacement papers, but if you like the look of reflective, shimmery, papers there is an Alt Photo options- the Orotone. Orotones are basically prints made on glass backed with paper of some sort. The backing can be reflective silver or gold to give a very striking effect. Orotones today can be made using the Carbon Transfer process for the glass print, which you will find much information on in this forum and Google. After you have the glass positive print, backing it with paper is easy and fun.

ValoPeikko
14-Apr-2016, 10:56
That's actually a good idea. Carbon printing is not something I'm keen on taking right now, more energy goes to perfecting my gum prints right now. But one day :) Would love to find silver-gelatin ready made option though.. or finding old stock papers somewhere..

MartinP
14-Apr-2016, 11:49
Hmmmm, a very good idea from domaz - silver-based emulsions can of course be coated on to glass. Perhaps even the back of the picture-frame glass?! An interesting idea, especially with almost anything being usable behind the glass and as a backing colour for the photo.

ValoPeikko
14-Apr-2016, 13:37
Hmmmm, a very good idea from domaz - silver-based emulsions can of course be coated on to glass. Perhaps even the back of the picture-frame glass?! An interesting idea, especially with almost anything being usable behind the glass and as a backing colour for the photo.

Hmm.. how about glass plates? Slavich makes them and the price is expensive but not insanely so. That would be fastest "photopaper" I have ever used, but then again why not. Perhaps a ND filter in the filter box would be needed while enlarging, but that could be done. It would be ready made and easily ordered option.

O_H
15-Apr-2016, 07:25
The image looks somewhat similar to "silver plated" prints, specifically if the direct toning method is used.
http://www.alternativephotography.com/wp/processes/gelatin-silver/silver-plating

ValoPeikko
15-Apr-2016, 23:42
Thanks for the link, that's something I need to look into :)

MartinP
16-Apr-2016, 00:16
Hmm.. how about glass plates? Slavich makes them and the price is expensive but not insanely so. That would be fastest "photopaper" I have ever used, but then again why not. Perhaps a ND filter in the filter box would be needed while enlarging, but that could be done. It would be ready made and easily ordered option.

I think most remaining photopaper manufacturers still make glass plates (but they might only appear in their scientific pricelists!) but they will be relatively small. There might also be some orthochromatic film sheets in larger sizes that might be easier to find and to work with, or even just try 8x10" panchromatic film.