PDA

View Full Version : Replace Zone VI Cold light tube with LED lights.

gary892
12-Apr-2016, 22:45
I have a zone vi cold light head and zone vi stabilizer. I am wondering if I can replace the cold light tube with led lights. I have seen the self adhesive led lights and the thought occurred to me to line the cold light head with the led lights. So I have two questions.

1.) Will I need to make any modifications to the voltage/watt output from the cold light head for the LED lights?

2.) Will LED lights work with variable contrast paper without a 40cc Yellow filter?

Thanks

Gary

ic-racer
13-Apr-2016, 04:56
I have a zone vi cold light head and zone vi stabilizer. I am wondering if I can replace the cold light tube with led lights. I have seen the self adhesive led lights and the thought occurred to me to line the cold light head with the led lights. So I have two questions.

1.) Will I need to make any modifications to the voltage/watt output from the cold light head for the LED lights?

You can maintain the same light output with some trial and error. Try using a light meter to see how bright the existing lamp is. Then try to match that with your LEDs.

2.) Will LED lights work with variable contrast paper without a 40cc Yellow filter?

There are thousands of LEDs with different light output. The specific LED you choose will determine how well Ilford filters respond.

Peter De Smidt
13-Apr-2016, 06:20
You will likely need to use an LED driver, and not the cold light's power supply, to power the LEDs.

gary892
14-Apr-2016, 15:21
Thank you to all those that have replied.

Further investigation is warranted.

Gary

someonenameddavid
18-Apr-2016, 12:41
Thank you to all those that have replied.

Further investigation is warranted.

Gary

It struck me that a 15 inch flat screen monitor would make a great light source for 8x10 enlarging.

David. And if you've ever been struck by a flat screen monitor, you would know why.