PDA

View Full Version : Sheet film cut: best practices inquire

RSalles
12-Apr-2016, 20:28
Hi friends,

I've been cutting 4X5 sheet film in the size of 2 1/4 X 3 1/4 there is 4 or 5 months. My present work flow permits me to cut a box of 25 sheets in one hour, or so.
I'm using a rotary trimmer with a full box at my left side and an empty box at the right with the trimmer in the middle.
In your case - if you have to make the same cutting process to fit 4x5 or 8x10 in a smaller size - my question is:
How long do you take to to arrive to nearby the same amount - 50 cut sheets - and if your time is much shorter then that, what's the work flow and hardware you're using to make it?

Cheers,

Renato

Jody_S
12-Apr-2016, 23:08
You're faster than me.

Tin Can
13-Apr-2016, 03:19
Two http://www.dickblick.com/products/dahle-vantage-paper-trimmer/?clickTracking=true&wmcp=pla&wmcid=items&wmckw=57134-1012&gclid=Cj0KEQjw3Le4BRDxx5bk4aDn9t4BEiQAfmxQGSfEowDat1T9Deff-k3amES9e5sOl2TgXaD9IjN3XqMaAq2k8P8HAQ

Set up for each cut. These cutters are very gentle as the 'automatic paper' clamp is soft rubber that lowers just before the blade. I use them only for film to keep dust away.

I find for this they work faster and cheaper than my larger Rotatrim which is better at other things.

My hands are not greasy for about an hour. I wash them just before starting and work faster without gloves. Ymmv

Bob Mann
13-Apr-2016, 06:31
Get a pair of Infrared goggles - makes it a lot easier when you can see what you are doing.

RSalles
13-Apr-2016, 08:02
Bob,

With PanChromatic film?

Cheers,

Renato

peter schrager
13-Apr-2016, 16:34
Awesome. I'm going to cut some 8x10 foma to wp size.. it's about $1 cheaper per sheet than the Ilford ulf order prices...sorry ilford!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

seezee
14-Apr-2016, 10:59
Bob,

With PanChromatic film?

Cheers,

Renato

IR goggles are fine on pan film. Many forum members report good results with this goggle. (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?128046-ATM-Viper-X-1-Night-Vision-Goggles-Review&highlight=viper) Regardless of the goggle you buy, don't use the lights on the goggle itself. Install IR bulbs in your darkroom instead.

RSalles
14-Apr-2016, 15:21
Thanks, gens, the IR goggles seems to be a excellent solution to all our dark operations, but in my case, with the small amount of film I cut I think the cost doesn't justify the acquisition. I would be used one time by month. Probably when the amount of film cut increases,

Cheers,

Renato

Bob Mann
14-Apr-2016, 17:46
Thanks, gens, the IR goggles seems to be a excellent solution to all our dark operations, but in my case, with the small amount of film I cut I think the cost doesn't justify the acquisition. I would be used one time by month. Probably when the amount of film cut increases,

Cheers,

Renato

I use them quite a bit - loading and unloading film holders and developing by inspection. They are really nice when developing sheet film in trays.

Barrie B.
15-Apr-2016, 03:58
Greetings Bob, just came across this post. Question :- What is the 'Brand-name' of your I R Goggles ? What price ( US Dollars) ? and from Whom ? I am interested in trying ' Development of 4 X 5 B&W films by " Inspection " ....... Cheers Barrie B. Melbourne Australia .

Bob Mann
15-Apr-2016, 05:34
Greetings Bob, just came across this post. Question :- What is the 'Brand-name' of your I R Goggles ? What price ( US Dollars) ? and from Whom ? I am interested in trying ' Development of 4 X 5 B&W films by " Inspection " ....... Cheers Barrie B. Melbourne Australia .

I use Viper goggles - couple of hundred - I got mine off Ebay - do a search on this forum there are a couple of threads about using these, and if I recall correctly someone had one for sale quite recently.