PDA

View Full Version : Flat or recessed lens board for a 105mm on a Calumet 4x5?

DKtucson
12-Apr-2016, 07:57
Hello everyone,
While I'm no stranger to film photography I'm a newcomer to large format. I recently acquired a Calumet monorail (22" span) and I'm acquiring lenses and gear. The camera came with a Schneider 210mm and Copal #1 shutter, 5 film holders and a polaroid back all for the unbelievable price of $75 plus shipping (yes I'm stoked).
I bought a Bausch & Lomb 88mm in a kodak supermatic shutter and that lens needed a recessed lens board or I had weird shadow areas at the lower edge of the frame.

I have a Copal 0 shutter on the way with a 105/4.5 lens and I was wondering--will I need a recessed lens board for this lens as well or am I at the focal length where a flat lens board will "fly" ?

BrianShaw
12-Apr-2016, 08:02
Set the camera up with standards 105mm apart. This will be at infinity focus. Then visualize/test if you can get the movements you may want.

Depending upon which camera model you have you might be able to get away with a flat board.

That's a great price,, BTW!

Michael Graves
12-Apr-2016, 09:33
I used this same model of camera for quite some time. Even a 90mm was "usable" with a flat board. It was hard as the devil to focus and any attempt at movements was laughable. I found myself using a recessed board even for a 135mm just so that I would have adequate bellowed extended to manipulate the camera freely. I do the same thing now with my Horseman. The key is to get one of those little L-shaped adapters for the cable release.

Mark Tweed
12-Apr-2016, 10:29
You didn't mention which f4.5 105mm you were adding to you lens arsenal, but the f-stop is a hint that this lens may be intended for a medium format camera such as a 2X3 Graphic or the smaller Linhof. I'm unaware of a wide angle 105mm with a f4.5 spec. Your question as to whether to employ a recessed lens board may be a moot point if your new 105mm doesn't have enough coverage for the 4X5 format.

DKtucson
12-Apr-2016, 10:42
Thanks everyone for the responses. I have both a flat & recessed board as it is so it's a simple matter of needing to experiment with each. I was hoping for an imperical answer of yes- you do/don't need a recessed and I would just order up the proper one & not take stuff apart unnecessarily (always that risk of boogering something up in the process).
The lens thats on the way is the following http://www.ebay.com/itm/272201283232?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT . It doesn't seem far & removed from the 88mm B&L in the kodak supermatic shutter. That was advertized as working in 4x5 when stopped up and it seems to work OK in the recessed lens board.
If I get edge-fall off & vignetting thats on me & lesson learned.

ottluuk
12-Apr-2016, 10:51
You didn't mention which f4.5 105mm you were adding to you lens arsenal, but the f-stop is a hint that this lens may be intended for a medium format camera such as a 2X3 Graphic or the smaller Linhof. I'm unaware of a wide angle 105mm with a f4.5 spec. Your question as to whether to employ a recessed lens board may be a moot point if your new 105mm doesn't have enough coverage for the 4X5 format.

Such a lens could still be used nicely with a 6x9cm roll film back on the OP's camera.

senderoaburrido
12-Apr-2016, 13:10
I have a Cambo SCX, and assuming yours is somewhat similar, the standards may need to be almost-touching in order for it to be in focus. I remember that when I first got my 150mm, I could barely do movements because the standards needed to be very close. Even if you don't need the recessed lensboard, it might allow you a bit more movement than you'd get otherwise. Another thing that you can do with the SCX, although I'm not sure if it's the case with your camera, is to flip the standards around. The default configuration involves both plates being on the outside of the standards, as opposed to close to eachother, on the inside.

DKtucson
12-Apr-2016, 13:20
I've seen some other postings just now in other forums where the lens is preferred for macro use as they were used in polaroid copy cameras and will cover 4x5--I'll know for sure tomorrow when it arrives

DKtucson
12-Apr-2016, 13:23
Yes, with my 88mm lens & the flat lens board the only way it would focus was to have it "parked" with the standards fully drawn in as if I was going to store it. Then that improved with the recessed lens board

DKtucson
13-Apr-2016, 20:59
Lens & shutter arrived today and indeed it will work with a flat lensboard--I made a temporary one from cardboard and it works fine