PDA

View Full Version : Fastish lens options - 200mm to 250mm

hoffy
10-Apr-2016, 21:24
Hi Folks,

As per my recent activities on this forum, I am in the midst of Tin Type fever. One of my biggest limitations is the glass I am currently using and I would like to find a longer normal lens that is (relatively) fast - something that can do at least F5.6 or better still, F4.

I am on the lookout for brass lenses, but I am also open to something mounted with a shutter.

Without breaking the bank, can anyone suggest lenses that I might be able to look for? Doesn't need to be modern, but must be able to cover 4x5 (but with minimal movements).

Cheers

IanG
11-Apr-2016, 00:47
What about a 210mm or 250mm f4.5 Tessar, there's a 210mm f3.5 Tessar also similar Xenars. They are quite cheap and easy to find in a barrel if you don't need a shutter, and if you're lucky not much in a shutter either, I paid about £30 ($45) for my CZJ 210 f4.5 Tessar in a Comound #3 last year.

Ian

hoffy
11-Apr-2016, 03:34
Ian, that sounds pretty good. The idea for this lens would be to shoot tin types, so it really doesn't need to be of the utmost quality. As for a shutter, in this case, I would prefer it.

I am still going to keep an eye out for a Petzval of some sort, but such a lens might work fine for what I want to do.

Cheers

Lachlan 717
11-Apr-2016, 04:44
8" Pentac. $350-500, depending on condition and marking/branding.

hoffy
11-Apr-2016, 05:17
Re, the tessar, what are the Russian reproductions like? What shutter would you mount them in?

IanG
11-Apr-2016, 05:53
Re, the tessar, what are the Russian reproductions like? What shutter would you mount them in?

I'd use a Thornton Pickard roller blind shutter but then I have one or two, well maybe more like 50 :D

For what you want a Russian lenses would be OK if cheap enough. An alternative shutter would be the Luc (or similar) front mounting type, usually Z M and I, equivalent to T, B and one fixed Instant speed usually around 1/50 to 1/100.

Ian

EdSawyer
11-Apr-2016, 06:30
Yes, go with a 8" f/2.9 Pentac. It's easily the easiest to find in this length, sharper than the Xenars generally, and pretty reasonably priced. No shutters easily done though.

goamules
11-Apr-2016, 09:37
If you are shooting wetplate, you absolutely do not need a shutter of any kind. Wetplate is about ISO 1, so in most lighting, you'll be between a 2 second and 20 second exposure. A shutter isn't going to do that for you. A lens cap will.

IanG
11-Apr-2016, 09:58
If you are shooting wetplate, you absolutely do not need a shutter of any kind. Wetplate is about ISO 1, so in most lighting, you'll be between a 2 second and 20 second exposure. A shutter isn't going to do that for you. A lens cap will.

Sometimes people want a shutter so the same lens can be used with film. I restored one of my larger front mounting Thornton Pickard shutters for a wet-plate worker because she also wanted to shoot conventional film portraits with her Darlot.

It's useful to have options available, I can use my Petzval with a front mounted shutter or on my Speed Graphic, but I also have a Half plate focal plane shutter that I can fit to an early British field camera.

Ian

goamules
11-Apr-2016, 10:06
True, versatility is nice. But that's not what the OP asked for. He asked for the cheapest way to shoot wetplate, somewhat longer lens for his format, and around F4.5. That would be a Tessar in barrel, simply. Adding a shutter adds cost, and is not needed to do wetplate. He didn't say "I also want to shoot film with this lens."

Ari
11-Apr-2016, 10:28
How about a projector lens? I have a Leitz Dimar 250mm f4 that cost about $1.00/mm and it covers 8x10 with funny stuff happening at the far edges.
I'm sure there are also less expensive options in that type of lens.

fishbulb
11-Apr-2016, 10:53
Buhl made a lot of projector lenses that in the 8-9" range that vary from f/2.5-4. No aperture or shutter of course. For example, this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/191846304172

I don't know about that lens specifically - but the red anodized 200mm f/2.5 version does cover 4x5. http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?126018-Images-Shot-On-Projection-Lens-Thread

hoffy
12-Apr-2016, 01:27
Thanks for all the replies. True, I want to shoot wet plates, but I won't be disappointed if I get a shutter at all. Yes, it does add versatility, but not a deal maker or breaker.

Buhl made a lot of projector lenses that in the 8-9" range that vary from f/2.5-4. No aperture or shutter of course. For example, this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/191846304172

I don't know about that lens specifically - but the red anodized 200mm f/2.5 version does cover 4x5. http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?126018-Images-Shot-On-Projection-Lens-Thread
Now, that is one sexy looking lens, just by the barrel. Interesting as per the results above(& not in a bad way)

Cheers

hoffy
12-Apr-2016, 21:11
Hi Folks,

Does anyone have an opinion on the Fujinar F4.5 (210mm specifically) lenses?

Cheers

Corran
12-Apr-2016, 21:20
I have a 25cm f/4.7 Fujinar, which is quite a nice lens. I assume the 210mm variant is basically the same (mine is f/4.7 only due to the shutter constricting the max aperture, AFAIK).

I've heard it's basically a Tessar variant, but I don't know. It's just a good all-around lens.

hoffy
12-Apr-2016, 21:29
OK, thanks. I'm just weighing up all my options.

Jody_S
12-Apr-2016, 21:58
Hi Folks,

Does anyone have an opinion on the Fujinar F4.5 (210mm specifically) lenses?

Cheers

I have a 180mm. Nice coated Tessar, but I prefer the look of my 1905-or-so B&L Ic. The Fujinars were cheap-ish process lenses? I don't know if they're supposed to be optimized for 1:1.

jp
13-Apr-2016, 04:02
The fujinar 210/4.5 is a really sweet tessar. I have one in a channel or copal 3 shutter and its really sharp and smooth. Another option for a lens with character is a 250 or 210mm trioplan. I have a 210 and it's smooth and portrait, but not soap bubble bokeh like the new reproduction for small format. See my flickr.