PDA

View Full Version : How does one disassemble a Cambo SCX, especially standards from rail?

senderoaburrido
9-Apr-2016, 17:27
I've already made a post once before about this, and I first tried posting in the old thread before starting the new one. A more precise title and explanation of the problem may help to solve it this time around.

I'm trying to remove the standards from a Cambo SCX's rail, so as to make it easier to transport. I was told in the last thread that there is a knob that I should be able to loosen, which would allow me to pop the end cap off. From there the standards can be removed.

On my camera, the knob in question unscrews without popping out completely, leaving the plastic rail cap attached. I cannot continue to turn the knob counter-clockwise, nor will the cap budge. I gave it a light hammering with a screwdriver, dampened by an old bike tube, to no avail. Not sure how else to remove the cap, as it seems pretty rooted.

It's not mentioned in the camera's manual, and there are no videos or illustrative pictures that I could find online. Has anyone taken apart a Cambo SCX before? I'd be quite grateful for some help.

Here's a video of me attempting to remove the cap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=o2YXASrFjiw

I'm also including pictures of the rail, in case someone might recognise it and provide insight.

Alan Gales
9-Apr-2016, 17:41
I've got one more idea. After you unscrew the knob can you spin the end cap so the small flat spot is at the top? The rear standard may be able to slide off then.

senderoaburrido
9-Apr-2016, 17:43
I've got one more idea. After you unscrew the knob can you spin the end cap so the small flat spot is at the top? The rear standard may be able to slide off then.
Nope. That was one of the first things I tried- to spin the cap. It doesn't budge going clockwise or counterclockwise.

Alan Gales
9-Apr-2016, 17:50
Nope. That was one of the first things I tried- to spin the cap. It doesn't budge going clockwise or counterclockwise.

It won't slide down either?

senderoaburrido
9-Apr-2016, 17:55
It won't slide down either?

No. There is minor play, not in any particular direction. A gap develops if you pull, as can be seen in the video. It's very small, and doesn't grow no matter how hard I pull. I've given it a serious tug, twist, and push (attempting to slide), left, right, up and down. All I've gotten is enough play to move it maybe a single millimeter (if that) in any given direction.

senderoaburrido
15-Apr-2016, 12:04
I hate to double post here, but does no one know? All the other Cambo monorails can have their standards removed. I have no idea why it is so difficult to do so with this one.

ottluuk
19-Apr-2016, 12:41
On my camera, the knob in question unscrews without popping out completely, leaving the plastic rail cap attached. I cannot continue to turn the knob counter-clockwise, nor will the cap budge. I gave it a light hammering with a screwdriver, dampened by an old bike tube, to no avail. Not sure how else to remove the cap, as it seems pretty rooted.

Have you tried the same with the cap on the opposite end of the rail? I hate to say this, but finally you may want to consider breaking the plain cap off by force. A good pair of groove joint pliers will probably do it and SC rails are not rare or expensive things.

RPNugent
19-Apr-2016, 14:15
That screw should let you pull the cap off once you have it fully loosened. I just tried mine and with very little fiddling it came loose immediately. There is no special angle or anything it has to be turned to in order to remove it. It may take a bit more force than you are using to get it free.