PDA

View Full Version : 55mm Apo Grandagon and 58mm SA XL

Steve Hamley
28-Mar-2005, 12:41
Folks,

There was a post in the archives about a comparison of these two lenses (Rodenstock 55mm Apo Grandagon and Schneider 58mm Super Angulon XL) about 2-1/2 or 3 years ago, but ended up being more of a lens cap discussion with the exception of a couple of posts.

So does anyone have anything to add about the image circle, light falloff, general coverage or usefulness, gripes for one versus the other WRT 4x4 usage?

Thanks!

Steve

Steve Hamley
28-Mar-2005, 12:57
Oops, that's 4x5 usage...

Steve

Eric Leppanen
28-Mar-2005, 14:29
Steve,

Given this same choice several years ago, I chose the SA58XL since it used the same center filter as my SS80XL and SS110XL. I have a Lee press-on filter holder which fits onto the center filter, enabling convenient use of a variety of filters with these lenses. I find use of the center filter to be mandatory, even with black-and-white film.

Bob Salomon told me at the time that the Grandagon has better MTF performance, although by then I had already purchased the Schneider lens. I'm not sure that this would have swayed my decision, though, given the convenience of the common center filter. Coverage with either lens is tight, you may find yourself using rear movements more frequently than usual to avoid vignetting. For me, the angle of view is so wide that I use the lens rather infrequently.

Among others, Jack Dykinga uses the SA58XL (the cover photograph of his book "Large Format Nature Photography" was taken with this lens), and I have been happy with the performance of mine.

Armin Seeholzer
28-Mar-2005, 14:30
Hi Steve

The differences are 3mm not only in the focal lenghs its also in the covering power the 55mm has 163mm and the 58mm has 166mm as stated in there brochure.
I think you will not see a difference in sharpness and contrast. I for example have the Schneider 47 XL and the 55mm APO Grandagon and both are wonderfull performers.
But just to be clear if I only could have one of the 3 then it would be the 47 XL. Because you can alwise crop but never expand a picture!
Good luck!

Andre Noble
28-Mar-2005, 19:13
Steve, I researched the net extensively on this very issue and came to the conclusion that the Grandagon 55 was the one to go with of the two.

If someone gave me a 58XL, however, i could soon forget about my desire to acquire the 55.

Henry Ambrose
28-Mar-2005, 19:31
As Eric noted the center filter is important. If you already own the correct Schnieder CF you have a very good economic reason to buy the Schneider lens. Otherwise alI can tell you is that I am happy with my 58XL. I printed a negative made with it last night and the prints are very nice. I've scanned a good bit of color neg film shot with the 58 and have been satisfied with its performance. I have not seen or read anything definite or scientific that indicates that either lens is better.

Donald Hutton
28-Mar-2005, 23:54
I know that Rod Klukas (Photomark) is of the opinion that the 55mm Rodenstock is the pick in this focal lengh. I think his wife has tested them side by side, so if it's a choice, give him a call. Personally, I am very satisfied with my 58mmXL - I have the 80 and the 110 so it really is a huge plus that the same CF works on all three. I find it very sharp edge to edge on 4X5 and it is probably my second most used lens for interior shots on 4X5. I also find it to be a very handy lens on 6X12, and it's my most used lens on 6X7. That said, I am on the lookout for a 47mmXL...

Arne Croell
29-Mar-2005, 07:55
The 55mm Apo-Grandagon has the same 67mm filter size as the other lenses mentioned, so even if its not the official dedicated center filter, one that works fine with the SS 80XL should be not too bad on the 55Apo-G. I use the same IIIb Schneider Center filter for the 55mm Apo-G and the 80mm and 110mm XL (although rarely on the latter), but I don't do slides, so YMMV.

Bob Salomon
29-Mar-2005, 08:43
Rodenstock makes two 67mm Graduated Center Filters. One for the Apo Grandagon series and one for Grandagon N lenses. There is a difference due to the increased illumination circle of the Apo Grandgon lenses. The graduated filter for the Apo Grandagon has a exposure correction of 4x while the one for the Grandagon has a correction of 3x.

So while a generic 67mm, be it Rodenstock, Schneider or Heliopan can all be used the best correction would be with the filter designed for the Apo series.

Mark Sawyer
29-Mar-2005, 10:29
On the budget side, my 58mm f/5.6 Grandagon XL just *barely* covers also. An older lens, but coated (multi-coated, I believe), quite sharp, and it has all the fall-off and coverage problems you pay extra for in those other lenses...

Bob Salomon
29-Mar-2005, 11:21
"On the budget side, my 58mm f/5.6 Grandagon XL just *barely* covers also. An older lens, but coated (multi-coated, I believe), quite sharp, and it has all the fall-off and coverage problems you pay extra for in those other lenses.."

Scott,

The 58mm Grandagon was not a large format lens. It covered roll film formats up to 6.5x9cm. It was coated not multi coated and only covers a 140mm circle stopped down. In contrast the 55mm 4.5 Apo Gradagon covers a 163mm circle at optimum aperture.

giancatarina
29-Mar-2005, 12:34
there's was a report on the alpa site about this two lens and the way they bahave with digital back ... while as good as the 55 with film, the 58 was horrible with the digital back, but alpa remove this report quickly, maybe the test wasn't good, or schneider didn't like it ...