PDA

View Full Version : Cc401 needs long tripod head screw - what tripods are recomended

tonyowen
5-Apr-2016, 11:58
My CC401 camera's tripod socket is sunk about 1/4 inch below the 'mounting block'.
What tripod heads are recommended that have a long fixing screw that will hold the camera safely?
I have a regular tripod, but when fitted, the CC401 is only held by a couple of threads.

[I've thought of replacing the existing screw with a longer one, but the female thread that holds the tripod head to the tripod has stripped - so the existing tripod can be considered dead.]

regards
Tony

Mark Woods
5-Apr-2016, 13:32
Hello Tony, on the female threaded hole you can buy a Helicoil of the same size as the original thread. You drill out the hole, rethread to the Helicoil size, and install. Very quick and easy. Regarding the few number of threads tying the tripod to the camera, on motion picture cameras only 4 threads are used on 3/8's 16 screws.

MrFujicaman
5-Apr-2016, 16:28
Hello Tony, on the female threaded hole you can buy a Helicoil of the same size as the original thread. You drill out the hole, rethread to the Helicoil size, and install. Very quick and easy. Regarding the few number of threads tying the tripod to the camera, on motion picture cameras only 4 threads are used on 3/8's 16 screws.

I think Helicoil is out of business..Pep Boy's stocks the "PermaCoil" brand and it's pretty much the same thing under a new name.

Mark Woods
5-Apr-2016, 17:20
Good to know. Thank you.

tonyowen
6-Apr-2016, 01:13
I agree that a helicoil is one way to go. But UK suppliers commonly sell metric - not imperial sizes.
Also the cost is prohibitive circa $60 - $70 - for which cost I can get a new head.

Based on Mark's comments regarding the number of (3/8 inch) threads, can I assume that within reason the thread length of any tripod head will do.
I vaguely seem to remember a forum comment about Titall(??) tripods having a longer than 'normal' exposed thread length.

regards
Tony

Jac@stafford.net
6-Apr-2016, 05:41
I agree that a helicoil is one way to go. But UK suppliers commonly sell metric - not imperial sizes.
Also the cost is prohibitive circa $60 - $70 - for which cost I can get a new head.

3/8"x16 is metric and common imperial as well. No difference. That's crazy money. I should think a mechanic could do it for less.

LabRat
6-Apr-2016, 06:03
The other thing to try is making an adapter plate with a long countersunk screw that threads deep into the camera block, and the plate is tapped with the two sized threaded holes for tripod head mounting... This could be metal, hardwood, plywood, etc... For a wood block, you can use T-nuts for the tripod head screws...

I had also heard what Jac said about the common threads, as the standard bolts were a carryover from the carriage making trades...

Steve K

MrFujicaman
6-Apr-2016, 08:31
$60 for a PermaCoil kit with 5-6 inserts and the tap and the coil insert tool ? Are you kidding me ?

I'm with Jac....any garage worth a crap has the tools to insert a coil insert. Mechanics strip threads all the time.

Jac@stafford.net
6-Apr-2016, 09:06
The Perma-Coil 3/8x16 kit should be no more than $30, and it should include a dozen inserts. I do no know if it includes the necessary drill. 25/64". Then you are left with enough to last a lifetime. Still, I'd go with the suggestions to find a mechanic who probably has all that already.

Kirks518
22-May-2016, 18:46
To answer the OP's question about a tripod/head that works well with the CC401, I had the same issue, and I got an original (Marchoni) Tiltall, and it works well. So, I'd recommend getting a Tiltall. :)

dpn
22-May-2016, 19:36
I have a Calumet 4x5 (predates the CC401, but pretty similar), and my Tiltall works great.

Frustratingly, the Tiltall's screw is too long for my SRT-101 to mount firmly, but so it goes.

Tin Can
22-May-2016, 19:44
Old Gitso and Majestic heads have adjustable depth screws.

Old Studio Linhof went better with huge standard QR.

Normal thread grip depth is the same as diameter.

Take your problem to any machinist with good beer.

Mechanics don't strip threads they fix them.

Kirks518
13-Aug-2016, 13:55
I found something that really helped with my CC401 and my Tiltall. I also found the Tiltall's screw to just barely go into the female end, and never had great confidence in it.

Looking at tripod accessories on Adorama, I found this - http://www.adorama.com/pmgpx3.html

It fits perfectly in the CC's base, which allows the screw to be fully screwed down. Then the Tiltall's screw goes into one of the holes in the plate (I use the one right next to the plate's screw), and it locks down nice and firmly. I did remove the little tiny screws that are the stops screws, but you don't need them for the Tiltall.

Just thought I'd pass this on, as it may help others.

Bob Salomon
13-Aug-2016, 15:38
Tony, there actually is, somewhere, a standard for the length of a tripod screw and most, if not all, manufacturers of tripod heads for small cameras have to adhere to this standard as there frequently is electronics or mechanisms directly underneath that tripod socket that a thread that is too long can damage. Also on some of these cameras the tripod socket doesn't always go into the camera's casting but is just superficially attached to the bottom plate. So it can be broken by over tightening or by too long a screw thread.
Heads designed for large format can, and usually do, have longer threads then the ones designed for small cameras.

Jim Jones
15-Aug-2016, 05:52
Some Burke & James view cameras have a somewhat recessed tripod socket, and my B&J studio tripod has a long screw to accommodate this. Like DPN in post #11, this creates a problem with cameras that adhere to the ASA standards of tripod sockets, and a spacer is needed between those cameras and the tripod.

Kirk Fry
29-Aug-2016, 22:38
My CC401 had the same problem. A previous owner had the camera base milled flat with the tripod hole. A good machinist aught to be able to do this in about 2 minutes.