PDA

View Full Version : Polaroid type 55 with Diafine or HC110

noface0711
5-Apr-2016, 06:36
Found a forgotten box of polaroid type 55 which expired in 2007. I'm sure the chemical packet inside is probably dried up but the film negative should still be ok. Has anyone here ever developed the negative without using the polaroid processor? Can it be developed in something like diafine?
I can't find anything on the web for other developer alternatives except the mention of HC-100 but no times.

or sell the box and buy some of the new Bergger film coming out soon?

richydicky
5-Apr-2016, 13:29
Try it and see. I have some from that date and older and have worked fine. You can gently feel the chemical pod to see if it is still supple. I had a few sheets get stuck in the holder so developed those manually. Looking at my developing notes I have used D76 and Rodinal. According to those notes Rodinal 1+50 for 9 min rotary came out very nicely, D76 at 7min 30 sec also rotary was good but maybe a little thin. I found indicated times somewhere on the web but can't remember where.

I love the tones of this film and find that Adox CHSII gives a somewhat similar rendition.

Good luck
Richard

vdonovan2000
5-Apr-2016, 21:51
The negative in the original Type55 was made by Kodak, probably something similar to (if not actually) Panatomic X. I would look at the Massive Development Chart and try times for Panatomic X. I've always thought that Type55's soft tonal look came from Panatomic X.

The folks at New55 have sourced a sheet film from China in which they've tried for a Panatomic-X-like tonality. I've been using it for several months and I really like it exposed at EI 50. It's very reasonably priced, and available in 25 sheet boxes and single-sheet ready loads. You might give it a try and see if it works for you. If so, you can sell off that Type55.
http://shop.new55.net/collections/frontpage/products/atomic-x-iso-100-4x5-panchromatic-sheet-film?variant=11659375619