PDA

View Full Version : Recommended 8x10 holders

knjkrock
5-Apr-2016, 06:01
I am a hobbyist with a new to me Deardorff. I am more concerned about quality, ease of use, best rather than value. While weight may be a valid concern, I don't see much back packing with this. How many do most have? Wood vs plastic? Any other considerations?

Regards

Ken

vinny
5-Apr-2016, 06:08
Any that are in good shape.
I have 27 plastic holders for 8x10, about 40 for 4x5, and 10 for 4x10. All plastic.

mdarnton
5-Apr-2016, 06:19
I have maybe 18 8x10 wood holders, bought a couple at a time, strictly based on price, and am happy with them. I did have to buy a roll of book backing tape and replace some of the hinges, but I made a rule I wouldn't pay over $25 per holder, so I'm still very ahead. I think it's a mistake to believe that wood holders warp. Mine aren't, and if they were, I could well afford to throw one out. If you're worried about wood warping, don't buy any wood camera!

I bought the 8x10 holders based on Vinny's tank holding six hangers. For 5x7 and 4x5, I just bought everything, wood or plastic, that I saw for a while that was under my price limit (that was $4 for 4x5--I don't remember what for 5x7) until I had more than I will ever need--maybe 60 for 4x5, 40 for 5x7. Remember: what you shoot you will still have to develop. Vinny's big tank holds 6-8x10, 12-5x7, 24-4x5, and in my opinion (Vinny's) tank and hangers is the way to go, using only Kodak hangers (they knew better than anyone how to make a hanger that wouldn't mark the film!)

It is very easy to see in photos if a holder is worn. Look at the corners for ones where the leading corners aren't battered. Most of the smaller ones I have bought, I just held until I saw ones that were nearly brand new. A surprising number for sale appear to be unused, even in 8x10, so wait for those.

I don't think wood weighs more than plastic, but it does take a bit more space. I worry about plastic and static cling, myself, which is one reason I didn't seek them out.

John Kasaian
5-Apr-2016, 06:36
For wood holders I prefer the black ones marked "Graflex made for Eastman Kodak" In good condition, they are very usable.
For plastic holders, I prefer Lisco Regal.
However any used holders can give you problems---so check them out for leaks first with photo paper, and also for warping.
Nothing wrong with Ansco and Fidelity if they are in good working condition.
Have fun!

tgtaylor
5-Apr-2016, 06:40
TOYO-VIEW -- z-best bar none.

Thomas

John Kasaian
5-Apr-2016, 06:56
Some additional thoughts:
A little wax (Pledge, beeswax candle stubs, or Butcher's Wax is what I use) rubbed on the edges of the dark slides will help them smoothly slide into place.
I've invested in a small shop vac with micro attachments dedicate to cameras and film holders---great for beating those dust devils.
Book binder's tape, or even gaffer's tape can be used to re-tape the hinges.Use an Exacto knife to make precision cuts.
With wooden holders, you can find replacement "ells" at the hardware store and cut to length. A few swipes with a file takes care of the sharp edges.
You may be able to repair some damage to plastic holders with two part epoxy---add black pigment to match.
Don't throw away bad film holders---banish them to a "cannibal" box . Dark slides, hinge flaps, etc... can be used to repair other holders which develop a need for donor parts.

Jim Noel
5-Apr-2016, 08:08
As I have been able to fnd wooden holders with metal plates on the end where dark slides are inserted I have been able to get rid of all plastic holders.I have never had a light leak or warping with the wooden ones, but warping of the lip where slides are inserted in the plastic ones has ruined more than a few images.

Alan Gales
5-Apr-2016, 10:41
Any that are in good shape.
I have 27 plastic holders for 8x10, about 40 for 4x5, and 10 for 4x10. All plastic.

I agree with Vinny. I've got 10 8x10 holders and 10 4x5 holders, all plastic. I bought them little by little and slowly upgraded the more worn holders I had to ones that look close to new as I found deals on Ebay. I do favor the Toyos. I've got 5 of them for 4x5 but none for 8x10. Any brand will work though. Look for ones in great shape at affordable prices.

Luis-F-S
5-Apr-2016, 11:17
Look for ones in great shape at affordable prices.

+1

John Kasaian
5-Apr-2016, 12:35
Most of mine came from Clayton Classic Camera which advertised in Shutterbug. They'd send a stack from a closed out studio and I'd test them and send back any leakers for a replacement. IIRC $45 would buy three plastics, $35 would get three woods. Brooklyn Camera had the same kind of deal.

Alan Gales
5-Apr-2016, 14:14
Most of mine came from Clayton Classic Camera which advertised in Shutterbug. They'd send a stack from a closed out studio and I'd test them and send back any leakers for a replacement. IIRC $45 would buy three plastics, $35 would get three woods. Brooklyn Camera had the same kind of deal.

John, right after I bought my Wehman 8x10 I went on Ebay looking for film holders. Just a few minutes before I got on the site someone listed 3 plastic 8x10 holders, various size dip n dunk frames, and two little Kodak books for $30.00 buy it now with free shipping. I never clicked a mouse that fast before! When I received them they were in nice condition and light tight. Got lucky that time!

Fr. Mark
6-Apr-2016, 09:10
There are wood holders for 8x10 glass plates out there that may or may not have the steel film sheaths that come with them. These are not standard depth, or at least the ones I have are not. I built my own 8x10 around them so it works for me. I have 5 of these. I paid less than $100 for all of them. In fact, IIRC, I think I paid $50 for 4 of them and $20 for the first 1. I also have a broken on one side wood one of standard dimensions. I may fix it one day. I'd like to own a Sinar 8x10 conversion for the Sinar I have (and I know there's one on sale on the sales side right now, but I don't have the money right now). For the Sinar I'd need a standard 8x10 holder set. Or, make my own conversion kit to use the holders I have. Both have their appeal.

StoneNYC
6-Apr-2016, 09:18
Chamonix sells new ones that I recommend, well worth the $200/holder because it's better than a ruined sheet from a trip to light leaks from plastic holders. If you don't buy new get used wooden ones, the plastic can cause static issues in dry areas and harder to repair if there are leaks.

Good luck!

Alan Gales
6-Apr-2016, 10:18
Chamonix sells new ones that I recommend, well worth the $200/holder because it's better than a ruined sheet from a trip to light leaks from plastic holders. If you don't buy new get used wooden ones, the plastic can cause static issues in dry areas and harder to repair if there are leaks.

Good luck!

Let's see. I've got 10 8x10 holders. To replace them at $200 a pop would run $2000 plus tax plus expenses. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=912DKxD0H1U

Ari
6-Apr-2016, 12:51
I've found most 8x10 holders to be hit-and-miss in build quality, but the Toyos are consistently excellent.
Heavier, more expensive but always reliable.

StoneNYC
6-Apr-2016, 13:03
Let's see. I've got 10 8x10 holders. To replace them at $200 a pop would run $2000 plus tax plus expenses. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=912DKxD0H1U

At basically $15/sheet for color plus $200 per photo trip on average plus time spent shooting & processing, I feel like the initial investment is well worth not dealing with the frustration of a lost image. Either I've had really bad luck with used holders, or my standards for acceptable light leak etc are much higher, or I just shoot in really difficult environments. Probably a little of both. To each their own.

Alan Gales
6-Apr-2016, 16:02
At basically $15/sheet for color plus $200 per photo trip on average plus time spent shooting & processing, I feel like the initial investment is well worth not dealing with the frustration of a lost image. Either I've had really bad luck with used holders, or my standards for acceptable light leak etc are much higher, or I just shoot in really difficult environments. Probably a little of both. To each their own.

Oh, I understand where you are coming from, Stone. I just don't think my wife would understand it. :)

knjkrock
7-Apr-2016, 21:20
Regarding the Toyo holder, are these the one that stink? How about counterfeiting? Is that an issue? Should I choose to buy new, is there a preferred vender.

Thanks Stone for mentioning the Chamonix. Besides cost are there any other considerations, good or bad?

Any other thoughts about care and feeding these? Is anyone using self sealing anti static bags? If so, what size and type?

Thanks for all the Discussion

Ken

StoneNYC
8-Apr-2016, 13:27
Regarding the Toyo holder, are these the one that stink? How about counterfeiting? Is that an issue? Should I choose to buy new, is there a preferred vender.

Thanks Stone for mentioning the Chamonix. Besides cost are there any other considerations, good or bad?

Any other thoughts about care and feeding these? Is anyone using self sealing anti static bags? If so, what size and type?

Thanks for all the Discussion

Ken

The Chamonix come with padded bags as included, since you asked I almost forgot along with some other videos I made one specifically about the holders and their bags they come in, I find them much better than ziplock bags

Here...

http://youtu.be/Xa2o8Oqdr-A

Corran
8-Apr-2016, 13:42
All the 12 Lisco holders I've had were just fine at $30-50 each. I now only have 8 but the only tiny issue I've ever had was a slight crack on one darkslide, easily repaired with a bit of liquid electrical tape.

biedron
8-Apr-2016, 14:05
Ken

If you are going to buy new Toyo holders I don't think you'll find a better price than that from our own B.S. Kumar in this thread:
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?129053-Film-etc-from-Japan/page5

I recently ordered an 8x10 holder through Kumar, and it arrived in the US quite quickly - under 2 weeks I think. No stink that I can detect.

Bob

angusparker
8-Apr-2016, 19:25
TOYO-VIEW -- z-best bar none.

Thomas

+1

John Kasaian
8-Apr-2016, 19:42
As preventative protection, I use Hefty 2.5 gallon one zip plastic bags ("one zip," IIRC, either a blue or red zipper---I think the last box was blue zippers) Four 8x10 holders will fit in one bag, but the bags generally last longer when just three holders----and they'll hold up for years.