PDA

View Full Version : Question about a projetor Petzval I found

Laskadog
3-Apr-2016, 09:58
So I think I finally got lucky and found an old projector with a B&L Petzval on it. I bought the projector/magic lantern just for the lens, but is there any value in the projector? I feel bad throwing out the projector, but I can't keep this thing lying around and doubt anyone wants an old projector without a lens.

I'd like to find out more about it, so if anyone has any information and feels like sharing, I'd be grateful. So far my Googling has revealed that it is likely a 12in (300mm) lens and my measurements seems to confirm this. Given the width of the lens (60mm), that makes it about an f5 lens, correct?. I mounted it on my camera and it seems to cover a 5x7. Does anyone know what the age of the lens might be?

Thanks,

Mark Sawyer
3-Apr-2016, 11:10
The numbers you give make it an f/5, so you're right there, but I'd guess there's a fifty-fifty chance it's a triplet, not a Petzval. But a nice lens either way. There's probably no value in a hundred-year-old projector with no lens, though it seems a shame to just throw it away.

Tin Can
3-Apr-2016, 11:59
I want one of those projectors, but with the darn lens!

Laskadog
3-Apr-2016, 16:01
Thanks Mark. Took it apart and I'm no expert, but it definitely has 2 rear elements (non cemented) of the correct shape and one front element that seems to be cemented. The edges of lens are a little yellowish and there is a few bubble like spots. Hoping I'll get the swirl bokeh ;)

Randy, I was jealous of the flea market finds and was hoping to come accross an affordable Petzval. I took a chance. I just was hoping for a brass one, but beggars can't be choosers.

B.S.Kumar
3-Apr-2016, 16:44
I bought an old projector myself recently. It makes an excellent hard light source!

Kumar

Laskadog
3-Apr-2016, 17:47
I think I could take out the power grid for the whole east coast if I plug this thing in! The bulb is pretty vintage though.

Mark Sawyer
3-Apr-2016, 22:03
Thanks Mark. Took it apart and I'm no expert, but it definitely has 2 rear elements (non cemented) of the correct shape and one front element that seems to be cemented. The edges of lens are a little yellowish and there is a few bubble like spots. Hoping I'll get the swirl bokeh ;)

Sounds like a Petzval then! Good luck with it!