PDA

View Full Version : Rodenstock 240mm lens hood

ryanmills
31-Mar-2016, 16:35
Any know if these cheap screw on lens hoods would work with a Rodenstock 240mm f/5.6 Apo-Sironar-S? The rate them for "normal" length but on an 8x10 it's fairly wide so im guessing not. More interested in a little protection for the lens than the sun but not so much with clipping my edges.

Example: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1013871-REG/general_brand_hr86_86mm_collapsible_rubber_lens.html

EdSawyer
1-Apr-2016, 06:10
They work ok, I have one similar to that on a 270mm and 360 mm lens (used on 4x5).

mdarnton
1-Apr-2016, 06:58
Usually it will be good. When it's not, just push it back. I believe it goes back in stages so you can still use it in a wider situation.

Bob Salomon
1-Apr-2016, 07:48
The Kaiser one has three different collaspable positions and the Heliopan has two positions but you would be much better off with a true compendium since you are using it on a view camera.

Luis-F-S
1-Apr-2016, 08:21
I use a dark slide

ic-racer
1-Apr-2016, 14:23
Any know if these cheap screw on lens hoods would work with a Rodenstock 240mm f/5.6 Apo-Sironar-S? The rate them for "normal" length but on an 8x10 it's fairly wide so im guessing not. More interested in a little protection for the lens than the sun but not so much with clipping my edges.

Example: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1013871-REG/general_brand_hr86_86mm_collapsible_rubber_lens.html

If using a large format view camera, the angle of view along the horizontal and vertical axis will be different for just about every exposure. For this reason a compendium is needed.

mdarnton
1-Apr-2016, 15:16
However, my whole portable kit fits in a thick briefcase. There's no room for a compendium, and that's why I have a rubber hood. And of course, I mainly shoot portraits with no extreme movements needed.

I also have a compendium, but it doesn't go everywhere. Maybe Ryan is in a similar situation.

ryanmills
2-Apr-2016, 11:40
Thanks everyone, I use the plamp arm with a little flag to deal with lens flair. The hood was more about protecting it a little as a tromp thru the woods. Stray branches and the such. I find a loose lens caps far to much if I rely on taking them on and off on a shoot. I tend to wrap it in my dark cloths but still its a hard lens to find and not cheap. But like mdarnton I shoot portraits so no crazy movements either. I might see if I can find the Kaiser in the right size. I have a few of those cheap branded ones I listed above but they only collapse to one size.