PDA

View Full Version : Smearing on ground glass after being out in the rain

wojtek
31-Mar-2016, 04:12
Dear all,

Apologies if this is a very basic question but I could not easily find a previous posting.

I am lucky as a beginner to own two 4x5 cameras - an ebony rsw45 for landscapes and trekking, and a toyo 45aii I got lucky with on eBay.

I was out in the rain for three hours in Argyll taking a picture of branches and raindrops (underexposed!!, learned that digital 'Polaroid' photos to check metering are not the same..).

Following this trip, the ground glass on my ebony has some circular wipe marks in it. I don't know how this happened and whether I may have tried to wipe the back of it before packing away ( I did not dismantle it, the are two glass panes one of which I ground and one has a grid)

Any advice about how to best clean this and how it may have happened?

Thanks !

Ps a separate topic, but whilst I find the toyo obviously more functional, I find it hard to insert the film with moving the camera - the spring and lever on the back to slide the film holder in is so firm that my tripod or camera moves slightly. Any tips?

mdarnton
31-Mar-2016, 05:48
I guess it depends what type of GG you have, but I'd start with lens cleaner and a microfiber cloth, gently, just like cleaning a lens.

On any camera I always put my thumb on the fixed part of the back and pull the back open with my index finger when putting holders in. You aren't just prying the back open with the holder are you? No, don't do that.

wojtek
31-Mar-2016, 08:31
Thanks - I read various things about the GG and never touching it with anything, wasn't sure what's ok to try. It's the standard ebony screen or fresnel. Will give it a go!

I find the spring on the toyo is so firm that when I try and open it with my thumb/fingers, the force is enough to risk rotating the whole camera around the tripod mount. Is that just me?

Bob Salomon
31-Mar-2016, 09:50
Thanks - I read various things about the GG and never touching it with anything, wasn't sure what's ok to try. It's the standard ebony screen or fresnel. Will give it a go!

I find the spring on the toyo is so firm that when I try and open it with my thumb/fingers, the force is enough to risk rotating the whole camera around the tripod mount. Is that just me?
You may need a better tripod and head. A ground glass is just that, glass. Any glass cleaner will work. You could even put the glass itself in a dishwasher and clean it on the crystal setting. The Fresnel can be cleaned with any good lens cleaner and microfiber cloth.

Jim C.
31-Mar-2016, 12:25
Sounds like you have water trapped between your GG and fresnel screen.
Take it apart and wipe it dry and those circular smears will go away.

wojtek
31-Mar-2016, 13:33
Thanks everyone. Yes i might need a sturdier head, it's just that the ebony is so 'gentle' to use by comparison. Much reassured will try taking the screen apart and cleaning carefully. Much appreciate your advice.

carylee2002
2-Apr-2016, 19:35
Those circles you see,might be a wet fresnel...try to find a umbrella that can attach to your tripod. I bought one recently that people use on their golf bags and have heard it helps during rain. Either or you might have to find a bag to cover the camera against the elements.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/sport-brella-versa-brella-all-position-beach-umbrella-with-universal-clamp/3283679?skuId=43103324&mcid=PS_googlepla_nonbrand_lighting_&adpos=1o1&creative=43742656189&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CITtyqe38csCFYNsfgod0PIFGQ

Doremus Scudder
3-Apr-2016, 02:48
I certainly would protect my cameras from the rain somehow! Not only are you risking moisture damage to the camera itself, but also to the shutters and lenses you use! LF cameras are not waterproof and not intended to be used in wet conditions. If my camera got wet in the rain, I'd disassemble it as much as possible and dry everything with a blow dryer set on low. I'd also warm up my any lenses/shutters that were exposed to rainfall as well. A long storage in a plastic bag with some silica gel packets for the lenses/shutters involved would also be a good idea. If you notice your shutters running irregularly you may need to send them in for a CLA.

Doremus

scheinfluger_77
3-Apr-2016, 04:44
Those circles you see,might be a wet fresnel...try to find a umbrella that can attach to your tripod. I bought one recently that people use on their golf bags and have heard it helps during rain. Either or you might have to find a bag to cover the camera against the elements.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/sport-brella-versa-brella-all-position-beach-umbrella-with-universal-clamp/3283679?skuId=43103324&mcid=PS_googlepla_nonbrand_lighting_&adpos=1o1&creative=43742656189&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CITtyqe38csCFYNsfgod0PIFGQ

That looks so awesome I bought one

wojtek
3-Apr-2016, 14:46
Thanks - good point about rain, the ebony has a funny dark cloth with a a sort of stand that does cover it but it was just so wet that day. Will make sure I am more careful next time.

scheinfluger_77
8-Apr-2016, 12:57

That looks so awesome I bought one

149331 149332 149333 149334

This umbrella arrived last night and will probably work, but not in much wind. It's not as solid as it looks.

AtlantaTerry
8-Apr-2016, 15:34
149331 149332 149333 149334

This umbrella arrived last night and will probably work, but not in much wind. It's not as solid as it looks.

I would not attach any umbrella to my tripod because the slightest breeze will make it act like a sail and end up shaking the tripod. A light stand would be my choice. (Yes, more gear to drag around...)

If it is not as solid as it looks then why not use any old umbrella? Then clamp it to the aforementioned light stand.

I like to use Larson Reflectasols that I have owned for over 30 years. They open like an umbrella but instead of the classic umbrella shape are flat when opened.
$99: http://www.larson-ent.com/l276_58__Square_REFLECTOR.htm