PDA

View Full Version : Tripod for Field 4x5

santoroman
29-Mar-2016, 22:46
So I picked up a new (new to me) Zone VI 4x5 field camera the other day and I've been stuck on which tripod would be the best. I'm not looking to drop my 401K on a new tripod being I just dropped some cash on the camera setup. Thoughts? Suggestions? Lottery numbers? anything would help.

santo

soeren
29-Mar-2016, 23:14
The manfrotto 055, the 190 is to light and unstable for my taste.

B.S.Kumar
29-Mar-2016, 23:16
I think one of the carbon fiber tripods from FLM would be a good lightweight choice.

Kumar

Michael E
30-Mar-2016, 01:08
Actually, I would prefer a 190 to a 055 Manfrotto. If you choose a heavy tripod, you give up the advantage of the lightweight camera. A small field camera with a light tripod is a combination you can carry for hours. I use a Berlebach Report with my Tachihara. The wood stays warmer in the winter and cooler in a hot car in the summer, compared to metal.

soeren
30-Mar-2016, 01:34
I crashed my trusty old 055clb a while ago and had to settle for an old similar version of the190. Im not satisfied when using it with the chamonix 45F1 and just barely satisfied with the stability in combination with my RZ67PROII. Id rather have a more stable slightly heavier tripod.

Bill_1856
30-Mar-2016, 05:21
A nice, used Tiltall (made by Leica/Leitz) will set you back about $100, and last forever. Built-in head, weighs about 7 pounds.

mdarnton
30-Mar-2016, 05:35
My 055 is fine for anything up to a Cambo, but I wish I'd sprung for the graphite version of the same, which I understand is not so resonant. The 055 is six pounds, which I'm getting the idea is about the minimum weight for something aluminum that works. I guess carbon would be lighter, too?

More of a problem for me is heads. I have a couple of nice Manfrotto heads, but they weigh too much. For my Crown view (Graflex wood view) the Manfrotto 056 3-D flip-flop head is adequate, and they make a similar one with a quick-release, too, that's even lighter--the 460mg. That shaves more weight than a lighter tripod would, and is a perfect solution for lighter cameras.

Jac@stafford.net
30-Mar-2016, 05:57
I waited decades before finally getting a good, composite tripod. Very happy with a FEISOL (http://reallybigcameras.com/Feisol/Tripods) now.

dave_whatever
30-Mar-2016, 06:19
A gitzo 2-series should suit. Something like an older 1228 (4 section) or 1227 (3 section), or a more modern 2530/2531/etc (3 section) or 2541 etc (4 section) or whatever the current version is called. I have used my Chamonix a lot on my 2531, it's a really good match for lightweight use. Get spikes!

Kirk Gittings
30-Mar-2016, 07:21
Actually, I would prefer a 190 to a 055 Manfrotto. If you choose a heavy tripod, you give up the advantage of the lightweight camera. A small field camera with a light tripod is a combination you can carry for hours. I use a Berlebach Report with my Tachihara. The wood stays warmer in the winter and cooler in a hot car in the summer, compared to metal.

The 055 is hardly a heavy tripod (depending on your frame of reference of course :) ). It is my lightweight tripod for such. I have used one for years hiking with a 4x5 etc. As I have gotten older It has become my go to tripod for everything from DSLR to 4x5. I'm not sure I would use anything lighter for 4x5. See my thread on my broken GG last week.

Stephen Thomason
30-Mar-2016, 07:56
The heaviest tripod that you can carry would be my recommendation. If you are going to use your field camera hiking or backpacking, then of course a graphite one would be the one of choice. That being the case, try to find one that has a hook on the bottom of the center column so you can carry a bag into which you can place a heavy rock(s) (if available on location) to help stabilize the system (believe me, you will need to someday!).

For studio or home use, look for a used Majestic or really heavy Manfrotto - the heavier the better.

fishbulb
30-Mar-2016, 07:58
Likewise, I have used a Manfrotto 055 for years, the carbon fiber 3-section version, for all types of photography. It is a nice balance of affordable (esp. used market), usable, light, and stable.

I use the 055 with my Nagaoka wood field 4x5 (~3lb with lens) and with my Sinar F monorail "field" 4x5 (~6lb with lens). For the Nagaoka, I use the Acratech GP ballhead, and for the Sinar, I use the Acratech Large Leveling Base. The head type is more of a limiting factor than the legs when handling weight.

I have used my Sinar P (very heavy, 12+lbs) on the 055 legs, but with the heavy-duty Sinar pan/tilt head. The Sinar P is too heavy for the Acratech GP or LLB, and really, a heavier tripod than the 055 (such as my 13lb mega-Manfrotto 058) feels much better with the heavy Sinar P.

I also have a Manfrotto 190 series in aluminum, and you can definitely use it for a light wooden folding field camera, such as a Nagaoka, Tachihara, Wista, Zone VI, etc. In carbon, it would be about the lightest tripod you could get. In aluminum, it's not that much lighter than the 055 carbon. I wouldn't want to use it for one of the Sinar's though - too top-heavy.

In any case, if you want more stability you can always hang your backpack/shoulderbag on the tripod. This is what I do 90% of the time. For the people saying that you need a heavy tripod for stability, they are working harder, but not smarter. Get a carbon fiber tripod and hang your bag on it.

Jim Jones
30-Mar-2016, 08:06
I've long used a 6 pound (three-axis head included) Tiltall for almost all of my photography. It is a good compromise between light weight and the perhaps sturdier designs. The featherweight tripods may be more rigid when one hangs the camera bag from them.

Jeff Keller
30-Mar-2016, 09:42
A 3 series carbon fiber Gitzo (no center column - weighs about 4 lb.) will handle almost anything and is light enough that you will rarely wish you had lighter legs.

If you want to keep the price down the Tiltal recommended by Wilhelm and Jim is a good choice. The head works nicely. Even if you decide at sometime to get an expensive tripod in the future you'll probably want to keep the Tiltal. For me its biggest weakness is that the angle of each of the legs can not be separately set as can be done with the Gitzo.

jeff

neil poulsen
30-Mar-2016, 09:45
I sure like my Feisol 3372 carbon fiber. It's about half the cost (or less?) of similar quality tripods. (One arm, versus one arm and one leg.) Very beefy, yet it weighs under 4lbs. It can easily handle 4x5 or even a lighter 8x10 (e.g. Deardorff v8).

You can read about them at www.feisol.net.

Peter De Smidt
30-Mar-2016, 10:02
Used tripods can be a great value. Like many things, the devil is in the details. Many tripods I've used, and during my photo assistant days I used quite a few, often have weak points, such as narrow throats, balky leg clamps, parts that catch on everything....

While I use and like a lot of Manfrotto stuff, and I realize that Manfrotto and Gitzo are now one, I greatly prefer Gitzo tripods. The locks are more progressive, secure, resistant to debris, easy to service.... The crown of a Gitzo tripod is larger which leads to very good stability, and there are a lot of accessories available used, such as flat plates, spiked feet, center columns.....

For a Zone VI 4x5, I'd get a used Gitzo series 3 aluminum tripod from about 1990 on. I have one, and it's my most-used tripod. A Gitzo rational series 3 low profile pan/tilt head would be a great match.

The other option, if you want to spend more money, would be a Ries J wooden tripod and head. Super stuff, but expensive. No center column options....

I wouldn't recommend getting a Zone VI tripod. The smaller one just isn't that great. (I had one for many years.) The big one is a terrific tripod, but it's very heavy and bulky, and it's way overkill for a light 4x5 field camera.

I've never used one of the Leitz Tiltalls. I'd love to try one.

I have a small Gitzo carbon fiber tripod for long distance travel. It's certainly lightweight and rigid enough, but as Kirk mentions light weight can = easily blown over.

Ari
30-Mar-2016, 11:00
I'd look at some top brands first, like RRS or FLM, and be ready to spend a little more on one of those. Work your way down if it's really out of your price range.
A tripod is pretty vital to our way of shooting, and you don't want to have to buy a new one every year or so.
FLM carries a 10-year warranty, RRS's is 5 years, and both companies are very dedicated to having top-notch build quality.
There are a lot of nice-looking tripods out there from other makers, but none have the solid feel of RRS nor the precision of FLM.

Disclaimer: I am associated with both FLM and Feisol, but not with RRS.

santoroman
30-Mar-2016, 12:00
Thanks everyone. Either way I look at it my wife will just roll her eyes at me until I bring up the fact that she just dropped $1000 on two rear tires for her 70s muscle car. The tripod will be a bargain compared to that.

Jac@stafford.net
30-Mar-2016, 12:10
There are a lot of nice-looking tripods out there from other makers, but [...]

Indeed, I regret buying a pretty wood tripod since the day I put a 34 pound camera on it. Now it is a living room lamp.

Ari
30-Mar-2016, 14:11
Thanks everyone. Either way I look at it my wife will just roll her eyes at me until I bring up the fact that she just dropped $1000 on two rear tires for her 70s muscle car. The tripod will be a bargain compared to that.

At least there's a fellow addict who gets you.
I have to sneak some stuff in through the back door. :)

Vaughn
30-Mar-2016, 15:01
A gitzo 2-series should suit...

This is what I am currently using for 4x5 and 5x7. Sturdy enough to help with minor stream crossings, too.

John Bowen
30-Mar-2016, 15:13
My issue with tripods is I'm 6'6". Had a Zone VI small tripod and it was too darn short. Had a Zone VI large tripod and it was too darn heavy. I settled on Ries J tripods. You can order varying lengths and "if they were good enough for Edward Weston....."
Good luck in your quest,
John

Kirk Gittings
30-Mar-2016, 15:30
Used tripods can be a great value. Like many things, the devil is in the details. Many tripods I've used, and during my photo assistant days I used quite a few, often have weak points, such as narrow throats, balky leg clamps, parts that catch on everything....

While I use and like a lot of Manfrotto stuff, and I realize that Manfrotto and Gitzo are now one, I greatly prefer Gitzo tripods. The locks are more progressive, secure, resistant to debris, easy to service.... The crown of a Gitzo tripod is larger which leads to very good stability, and there are a lot of accessories available used, such as flat plates, spiked feet, center columns.....

For a Zone VI 4x5, I'd get a used Gitzo series 3 aluminum tripod from about 1990 on. I have one, and it's my most-used tripod. A Gitzo rational series 3 low profile pan/tilt head would be a great match.

The other option, if you want to spend more money, would be a Ries J wooden tripod and head. Super stuff, but expensive. No center column options....

I wouldn't recommend getting a Zone VI tripod. The smaller one just isn't that great. (I had one for many years.) The big one is a terrific tripod, but it's very heavy and bulky, and it's way overkill for a light 4x5 field camera.

I've never used one of the Leitz Tiltalls. I'd love to try one.

I have a small Gitzo carbon fiber tripod for long distance travel. It's certainly lightweight and rigid enough, but as Kirk mentions light weight can = easily blown over.

Peter your mailbox is full!

Drew Wiley
30-Mar-2016, 16:00
Heck. I just sold somebody a total piece of crap import CST survey tripod for $75 yesterday (brand new), and even it has far better support than the average pro camera tripod. I could have sold him a domestic wood and fiberglass one for under $200 with a lifetime warranty. So don't forget about that kind of option. All you need to do is switch out the 5/8 turnknob for 3/8. Of course, I wouldn't personally be caught with anything less than a genuine Ries under such circumstances. Otherwise, I use CF Gitzo and Feisol units when minimal weight is the priority.

Fred L
30-Mar-2016, 16:15
Depending how far I'm hoofing it on foot, it's either a carbon fibre Gitzo with ball head or a Ries J100 with double tilt head.

Jac@stafford.net
30-Mar-2016, 16:23
[...] a Ries J100 with double tilt head.

Yes!

Daniel Stone
30-Mar-2016, 16:26
I have found my Induro CT214 works great, and they're cheap($$$ wise). Ya, made in China, but I much prefer the leg lock knobs to my 3-series Gitzo.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/655205-REG/Induro_471_214_Carbon_8X_CT214_Tripod.html

soeren
30-Mar-2016, 20:35
I waited decades before finally getting a good, composite tripod. Very happy with a FEISOL (http://reallybigcameras.com/Feisol/Tripods) now.

Thank you very much for that GAS inducing link:mad:;)
Which one du you have, legs, head, center column etc.?
Impression, ups and downs.
Can you use it with legs spread out flat on the ground?
Im kind of falling in love with the tournament 3342 rapid.
Best regards

Luis-F-S
31-Mar-2016, 08:35
There is a reason as to why Fred sold wooden tripods with his camera . Any one of the wooden Ries tripods would be great. With 4x5 their J100 tripod is great. If that's too much money look for a used one or a used Berlebach as a second choice. With either one use a Ries J200-250 head. L

Jac@stafford.net
31-Mar-2016, 09:30
Thank you very much for that GAS inducing link:mad:;)
Which one du you have, legs, head, center column etc.?
Impression, ups and downs.
Can you use it with legs spread out flat on the ground?
Im kind of falling in love with the tournament 3342 rapid.
Best regards

I got the 3372LV : http://reallybigcameras.com/Feisol/CT-3372_CT-3472.htm
("LV" indicates that it is supplied with a leveling center column.) I also got the mount plate to eliminate the center column.

It is the model that can lay flat on the ground with just a flip of the top locks.

Also included was a case, carry strap and the tools needed to adjust things if necessary (three hex wrenches and a socket tool.)

Drew Wiley
1-Apr-2016, 08:10
I never use a center column. It compromises the whole triangulation stability effect of the legs themselves. Might be OK for a light field 4x5 at modest extensions,
but not for anything more serious. And I never bought into that "if it's was good enough for EW nonsense". It was good enough for him to not even know how to
drive; it was good enough for him to soak his fingers directly in pyro and mess up his health; and if most of his negatives were significantly enlarged, they'd look awful. But I do commend anything Ries.

Drew Bedo
1-Apr-2016, 08:54
Living in the Greater Houston Area must be spoinling me. In your shoes, I'd go to a major camera store (Houston Camera Exchange) with my camera and try 'em out. See which one(s) are strong enough and which one(s) you can lift and carry around—and what you canafford.

My first tripod came from a pawn shop and was a bit light for my Speed Graphic. Made it work for a bit and got something better at a swap-meet later.

Now a days I shoot with a Zone VI on a Velbon CF tripod with a magnesium ballhead. All bought used.

There is no one best tripod (or any thing else). Brand New always costs more than I want to pay.

john borrelli
13-Jun-2016, 20:38
I have a gitzo carbon fiber tripod. A few years back I bought Gitzo's long metal spikes. The price is rediculously high but you could probably find copies on Ebay for less, the point is, I use the spikes now constantly even with a smaller digital camera, even on hard surfaces. The spikes really come into their own when you can dig them into the ground but like I say, I use them on all surfaces.

AtlantaTerry
14-Jun-2016, 00:43
I have a Gitzo carbon fiber tripod. A few years back I bought Gitzo's long metal spikes. The price is ridiculously high but you could probably find copies on Ebay for less, the point is, I use the spikes now constantly even with a smaller digital camera, even on hard surfaces. The spikes really come into their own when you can dig them into the ground but like I say, I use them on all surfaces.

Also useful are the Gitzo "snow shoes" for really soft surfaces such as sand, soft dirt and (of course) snow.

And consider carrying along 3 very cheap silicone pads. These are found on eBay for use when you want to place your cell phone on the dashboard of your automobile. They cost about US $1 each. These weigh almost nothing but come in very handy when you would like to put your tripod on a very slippery surface such as a waxed floor. Of course, you can not use the spikes on someone's beautiful waxed floor so you need something to give your tripod feet "grip".

This happened to me on the set of a TV show where I was creating production stills. The set was that of a law firm and the beautiful floors were highly polished. My Gitzo tripod could not get a grip so the legs actually splayed out. Heck, I thought the legs would break away from the head! :eek: When I got back to the office, I ordered some of those cheap silicone pads.

AtlantaTerry
14-Jun-2016, 01:02
I'm surprised no one has yet mentioned using a video tripod with their large format cameras. In the past, I did. I used a Manfrotto set of video sticks and #501 fluid head. This combination makes set-up very quick.

151760 151761 151762 151763

One thing I discovered in the above setup where these cell phone snaps were taken was the Cambo with 300mm f/5.6 lens + a compendium just about exceeded the ability of the video legs to lock tight. One or two locks wanted to slip. Lesson learned. If you are going to test out a tripod, load it up with everything you might use just to see what the weight bearing limit actually is.

Due to a bad back and non-working left foot (blocked nerves), I am moving to a Chamonix 045F1 camera system in order to save weight. This thread has been useful to guide me to some light weight yet sturdy tripods I might want to evaluate.

Thanks,
Terry

seezee
14-Jun-2016, 11:22
If weight is a priority, CF Gitzo. If stability is your priority, Ries. If those are too pricey, Berlebach or Feisol. Just be aware the when you upgrade from the latter (and you will decide to upgrade), they won't seem so cheap after all.

The Tiltall is also a favorite in these forums, but I have no experience with them.

Ari
14-Jun-2016, 13:16
FLM will soon unveil a new compact tripod, the CP-Compact.
The main features will include 5-section legs and 10x carbon fibre layers; the load capacity will be 10kg.
I've used their smaller CP26 series with a Wista RF and Technika III, and the tripods always offered excellent, stable support.
Yes, it will cost more than comparably-sized tripods, but the build quality and the 10-year warranty ensures you're not upgrading your tripod every year or so.
The new tripod will first be offered via crowd-funding for a very low introductory price of $425.00 USD, delivery is expected for October.

Leszek Vogt
14-Jun-2016, 14:51
Mine is a Feisol (3371) a 3-legged type (no middle column) and carbon fiber (under 5lbs) and it's tall enough...I use it with Arca-Swiss head, which adds additional 4-5 inches. I don't always take it with me, but it's rather stout and I can shove it in my duffle bag for travel. I've had it over 4yrs now and don't intend to switch to anything else....well, I'm not convinced yet that I should :>).

Les

dpn
14-Jun-2016, 15:07
I loathe my Manfrotto 190, although it does get quite low. I trust it with a DSLR, but not with anything heavier.

I love my $50 Tiltall. I wish it got lower, but it does a great job with my heavy monorail.

Greg
14-Jun-2016, 16:09
I never use a center column. It compromises the whole triangulation stability effect of the legs themselves. Might be OK for a light field 4x5 at modest extensions, but not for anything more serious.

I find the only exception to be using the center column is with a Linhof Heavy Duty tripod. Tripod's a bear to carry around but will never let you down.

Jim Andrada
15-Jun-2016, 22:19
I have a Ries and a Gitzo 2 series. Both excellent. Guess which one I carry when I travel??? Yup, the Gitzo. I'm extremely happy with it. I got an FLM ball head from Ari - outstanding piece of gear and the Gitzo with the FLM head on it still fits in the Gitzo carry bag.

And I have a Libec video tripod - looks a lot like the one in Terry's photos. Wonderful for the heavier cameras. I normally use it as intended for video, but it's perfectly happy with my 8 x 10 Kardan Bi on it. One of the nicest thing about video pods can be seen in the first picture in Terry's post - you can see a small tube hanging down below the head. That's the clamp for a half "ball" that fits into a bowl built into the tripod and it allows a leveling adjustment of around 15 degrees BELOW the panning head so the pan will be level. Common sense if you're shooting video and pan while recording, but really nice for stills cameras as well because you can pan as an adjustment without having to re-level the camera. Many video pods can also attach a mid-level spreader which is a good idea with a heavier camera.

Drew Bedo
21-Jun-2016, 06:30
I have one of the 4x5 Zone VI cameras made by Wista in the mid 1980s. Its a bit smaller and lighter than the "true" Zone VI made in Vermont by Richard Ritter. I regularly us it on an older Velbon Carmagne CF tripod with a Velbon magnesium ball-head. At my age, weight is a significant issue.

Jim Noel
21-Jun-2016, 12:24
Heck. I just sold somebody a total piece of crap import CST survey tripod for $75 yesterday (brand new), and even it has far better support than the average pro camera tripod. I could have sold him a domestic wood and fiberglass one for under $200 with a lifetime warranty. So don't forget about that kind of option. All you need to do is switch out the 5/8 turnknob for 3/8. Of course, I wouldn't personally be caught with anything less than a genuine Ries under such circumstances. Otherwise, I use CF Gitzo and Feisol units when minimal weight is the priority.

I agree with Drew about not using anything less than a Ries in the field. However, I prefer my three Ottos because in equivalent sizes they are lighter and stronger. I also prefer their heads. But above all, I won't even think of a metal tripod in the field, too hot in summer, too cold in winter. Additionally, wood dampens vibrations much better than metal.

joselsgil
26-Jun-2016, 12:46
One of my favorite tripods is my Majestic with a large 6"x6" square platform.
I was recently trying to photograph some sunflowers in my yard. I was using my Zone VI camera with my vintage Ries tripod and head. It was giving me fits, but maybe it was just me trying to setup the camera before the heat really kicked in. I gave up on the Ries tripod and retrieved the Majestic out of the garage. I set it up with in a few seconds and it is steady as a rock. It may be too heavy for hiking, but for short distances, it is not too bad. I purchased the Majestic tripod with head for $100. USD. I have not tried this tripod with my 8x10 Kodak 2D, but it can handle a 4x5 with no problems what so ever.

Jose

Ari
26-Jun-2016, 15:32
So I picked up a new (new to me) Zone VI 4x5 field camera the other day and I've been stuck on which tripod would be the best. I'm not looking to drop my 401K on a new tripod being I just dropped some cash on the camera setup. Thoughts? Suggestions? Lottery numbers? anything would help.

santo

For well under $500: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?131803-FLM-The-Ultimate-Travel-Tripod-on-Indiegogo&p=1336657#post1336657