PDA

View Full Version : Shen Hao or chamonix - Which model for a beginner

abhishek@1985
27-Mar-2016, 09:27
Hi friends,

After dabbling years in Hasselblad and pinhole 4x5, I have decided to move on to 4x5 field camera. Since I plan on buying one for a lifetime, wanna buy a new field camera .
However, being a beginner , I seek advice as to which one .
I have narrowed it down to either Shen Hao or Chamonix . Both have various models which are confusing -

1. Shen Hao XPO 4x5
2. Shen Hao TZ-45IIB
3. Shen Hao PTB 4x5
4. Shen Hao HZX-4x5IIA
5. Shen Hao TFC 45-IIB

1. Chamonix 45 N-1 or 2
2. Chamonix 45 F-1.

I am mainly looking for a field camera for landscape purposes and plan on using 75 or 90 mm , 150 mm and 210 or 300 mm lenses.

Please share your advice and thoughts.

Regards,
Abhishek

Jim Noel
27-Mar-2016, 09:30
My experience indicates that the Chamonix is more sturdily built and should last a lifetime.

Two23
27-Mar-2016, 10:43
Both would do fine. I have owned both but currently have the Chamonix 045n. You will need a bag bellow for 75mm lens.

Kent in SD

plaubel
27-Mar-2016, 15:46
Some years ago I decided to buy a Shen Hao HZX, but today I would prefer the newer model ( but I don't know the name). Shen Hao tends to make things better and better after a while, but nothing was really wrong with my HZX.
Fantastic movements, enough to me extension, and unfolding and being ready for the shot was easy and quick. Very important to me.
Bellows is changeable, if necessary, so you can go with the bag bellows from 75mm until 150mm, or with normal bellows from 90mm up to your end ( tele or not tele).
Some other Shen Hao types may be tricky, look for their fixed bellows or the need to bring the front standard in position, by screwing and wasting time.
For me, and concerning the price, too, it was a lovely camera.

Ritchie

Ken Lee
27-Mar-2016, 15:59
Since I plan on buying one for a lifetime

I'd be surprised if a great many Large Format shooters purchased a perfect camera when getting started - and never purchased another - or wish they had.

As a beginner, you may not even know what you are looking for until you shoot for a while. Conversely, you may not know what to avoid.

Rather than trying to get it right the first time, you might consider just getting whatever is affordable and available. Your next camera will be closer to what you need and appreciate. And the one after that, even closer. Just like your photos.

B.S.Kumar
27-Mar-2016, 15:59
Nothing is for a lifetime, except perhaps a spouse. As a beginner, spend as less as you can afford to throw away. LF is very different from a Hasselblad, and learning to use it will take some time.

Kumar

plaubel
28-Mar-2016, 01:35
I absolutely agree!
For example:
First I bought a Mentor field, 13x18cm".
Fantastic, but too heavy for the field.
I decided to get more flexibility (film holders) and more movements with my new camera and decided to buy a mono rail, in this case a Plaubel Universal 13x18cm/5x7" .
Fantastic - but again too heavy for the field.
I reduced to a 4x5" Plaubel Profia.
Fantastic, really, but meanwhile I felt that I have to use more than only one camera; I bought the Shen Hao, too.
Ok, and I added a Plaubel Provia 5x7" to my Provia 4x5", because I wanted to continue 5x7".

After buying the Shen Hao, I have had no demands anymore, but this has been my way.
Others may need more bellows extension or a more sturdy system, but I believe in the SH beeing a very good (newbie) cam, especially for ""plan on using ... 90 mm , 150 mm and 210 or ( a lightweight) 300 mm lenses"".
For using 75mm, or long and heavy lenses, other systems may be better.

Ritchie

soeren
28-Mar-2016, 04:23
But whats wrong then with going directly for the shen hao or chamonix and save the money else spend on mistakes? No need for us all to learn the same lessons the same way ;)

B.S.Kumar
28-Mar-2016, 04:52
But whats wrong then with going directly for the shen hao or chamonix and save the money else spend on mistakes? No need for us all to learn the same lessons the same way ;)

Because we don't all make the same mistakes in the same order? :)
My first 4x5 was a beautiful Linhof Super Technika V with 3 lenses. I hated it because it was too difficult and time consuming to do what the ads in Photo Technik said it could do. I sold it, and bought a new Sinar F2 - a very large investment for a struggling photographer. Everything became easy. Some years later, I bought a Linhof Master Technika. Some images that would have been easy-peasy with the Sinar were still difficult. I sold it and vowed to stay away from field cameras. I joined this forum after I came to Japan, and learned of all the wonderful field cameras that people were using. I tried many, and finally found the Wista metal field cameras. I still try many different cameras, but the Sinar F2/P/C2, Wista and the older Toyo D45M remain my favorites. I don't expect anyone else to like what I do, but that's perfectly fine. We're all the same but different :)

Kumar

soeren
28-Mar-2016, 06:16
Fair point. I think the mistakes we make these days comes down to our ability to distill the information needed out of foras like this and use it in the right perspective. My first LF camera was a Sinar Norma 5x7 which I still have but I also came to the conclussion it was to heavy to lug around. At 1,6 kg the chamonix 45F1 is a little heavier than the N2 but way lighter than e.g a Mamiya RZ67PROII og Pentax 67. It's fairly easy to unpack and shoot within a few minute, features assymetric rear tilt which can be nice to have and will focus a 65mm to infinity with room for some movements. The 75mm have a bigger rear element that may cause some trouble at times.

raylarose
28-Mar-2016, 06:42
Hi Abhishek-

I was precisely in your boots a couple months ago and decided on the Chamonix 45n-2 based on my communications with them and the beauty and design of the camera. All that you mentioned are quite beautiful, to be honest, but it was that responsive personal touch that tilted the scales for me. We discussed not just colors for the build of my camera, but also talked extensively on lens choice among other things. It's my first 4x5 camera, so there's no other comparison I can offer. But I have been using this now well over a month and wouldn't trade it for the world. If you click over to my blog (link in signature), I have been posting all my hands-on impressions and how-to's to give you an idea of it in action. Truly a gorgeous camera.

Curious to hear what you go with and why.

plaubel
28-Mar-2016, 07:21
But whats wrong then with going directly for the shen hao or chamonix and save the money else spend on mistakes?

Have I ever told that I have sold the Shen Hao and added with a wooden 5x7" field camera?
Please think about this lesson :-)

Ritchie

soeren
28-Mar-2016, 08:18
Have I ever told that I have sold the Shen Hao and added with a wooden 5x7" field camera?
Please think about this lesson :-)

Ritchie

Nope you conveniently left that out :D
Threadjack risk. That 5x7 wooden field.....please tell more about that. Im considering an 8x10 but they are i safely expensive so maybe a 5x7 could do the trick.

plaubel
28-Mar-2016, 11:51
That 5x7 wooden field.....please tell more about that.

With the risk of hijacking this thread - nothing special, just a small old russian Reisekamera, adapted to a Plaubel 5x7" back. Have to build an own back for the camera, now it's too bulky..
Not the quality of a Shen Hao at all, but compact and lightweight.
WA isn't possible without ugly tricks, so I have to start from 135mm .

Ritchie

Michael Graves
28-Mar-2016, 12:18
I own both a Chamonix and a Shen Hao PTB. Well, technically speaking, I own the Chamonix and my wife owns the Shen Hao. To me they appear to be identical cameras, save for the fact that the Shen has one more position for setting the front standard. I see no difference at all in build quality. If there is any difference at all, it is that lens boards tend to fit more snugly with the Shen Hao, and are a bit more sloppy with the Chamonix. But we're talking degrees of a fraction of a millimeter.

When we're out shooting together, we tend to grab whichever camera is closest to hand, or if one of us is set up with a lens the other wants to use, we trade. They are so close in design you can't get confused. So my response between these two models, anyway, is buy whichever one you get the better deal on. Don't let the brand name sway you.

Huub
29-Mar-2016, 12:32
A very happy Shen Hao HZX IIA user here. It's my second field camera, which i bought after my Toyo made a fatal dive, landing on a stone :-(

Though the Toyo is a more stable camera i much prefer the Shen Hao. It offers every movement i ever use and then quite a bit more. It is beautifully crafted and more then sturdy enough for all my lenses, ranging from a 58 SA XL tot a 360 Tele-Xenar. The bellows that was fitted on the camera is flexible enough for all my wide angles, including the 58mm. So there actually is no need for a bag bellows. And front and rear standard can be moved close enough for using the 58mm on a flat lens board, even leaving enough movement to run out of image circle with this lens.

jose angel
30-Mar-2016, 01:00
I'd be surprised if a great many Large Format shooters purchased a perfect camera when getting started - and never purchased another - or wish they had.

As a beginner, you may not even know what you are looking for until you shoot for a while. Conversely, you may not know what to avoid.

Rather than trying to get it right the first time, you might consider just getting whatever is affordable and available. Your next camera will be closer to what you need and appreciate. And the one after that, even closer. Just like your photos.
Agree, absolutely.

There are very different camera designs, some love one type and hate others, and viceversa. Some need or like them all.
The setup process of a technical camera is different (faster, easier, more accurate), a field camera has usable rear movements, something others prefer. Or to have rear focus, or longer bellows, or bag bellows capability; some will never use them. Some prefer the focus smoothness and capabilities of a lightweight monorail. Some will never use camera movements; some cannot live without tilting aids, like the asymmetrical tilting feature. There is no perfect camera, specially for those who doesn`t work on a very specific task.

Personally, from the list you mention, I`d get the lightest folding one which work straight with the lenses you plan to use (75, 150 and at least 300mm @ infinity seem reasonable, -you can always use a 300/360 tele design for portraiture and closer details-), with Technika type lens boards, and asymmetrical tilt system if possible. I think it will be the most versatile one.

John Kasaian
30-Mar-2016, 06:38
There would be lots of considerations to take into account if you want to invest in a "forever" camera.
Desired lens focal lengths, bellow extension, movements, portability, durability, maintainability, etc...
The thing is LF is so different from smaller formats that most won't know exactly what they want until getting their feet wet, so to speak.
Buying a less expensive used camera first isn't throwing away money IMHO because used, well cared for cameras and lenses maintain and often appreciate in value.

angusparker
30-Mar-2016, 15:11
I haved owned the Chamonix 45n2 and F1 and a Shen Hao PTB 617. I would say the quality of the Chamonix is a bit above the Shen Hao but both are great. The F1 has one more feature than the 45n2 but both are excellent. You can't go wrong getting either camera. Truth is that 4x5 has the best film availability for Large Format - its a huge negative when compared to Medium Format - and a very portable size. I wouldn't start looking at 5x7 or 8x10 if you are just getting into LF. You can always upgrade in the future as the Chamonix 4x5 cameras hold their price pretty well.

Jac@stafford.net
30-Mar-2016, 16:29
Nothing is for a lifetime, except perhaps a spouse.

:) The difference between love and herpes - herpes lasts forever. It's kinda like ULF.