PDA

View Full Version : 110 or 90 for 4x5 architecture

alex sjoeberg
25-Mar-2005, 11:53
This forum is definitely helpfull to increase one’s understandind of photography matters. Thanks to any of you who could help or having already faced such choice for a new lens in a new range !

I use 4x5 (Gandolfi Variant2, BTW very efficient tool especially for movements).
As I get more and more involved in architecture assignments, I am thinking of getting a “moderate” wide angle lens. (Usually shooting with lenses close to “normal” as a strong esthetic preference). But : new assignment coming will suppose inside shots with little room for easy composition. And as I will have to be carefull to shoot not too abstract pictures, I do have to consider “real” wide angle lenses. Which I am not used to. (Already rented a 120. Liked it but not wide enough).
So, I think my choice will be between 110 and 90 mm lenses.

Schneider 110 sounds very appealling (f5.6, no need of center filter, lot of coverage, etc). And I think it wouldn't be too far from that “esthetic preference”. But : still a bit expensive (!), and maybe risky as a non “safe option” for architecture cause still not wide enough (?). (It also may be a good investment).

On the other hand, I understand that choosing a 90 lens (super angulon mc, grandagon n or nikon sw) I should consider the brighter ones. (Still have to check if it wouldn't give that “too much view in the frame” that I am afraid of). 90s would also be less expensive and / or easier to find on the second hand market. But : here comes also few more questions !
- Already using Symmar s mc lenses, would a nikon f8 sw match for render ?
- If I choose a schneider SA f5.6 (or grandagon f6.8 or f4.5), wouldn't it be too heavy or bulky (rear element) for my Gandolfi ?
- Will I definitely need center filters for any of them ? or recessed lens board ?

Also if I go for a 90, in which order should I make preferences between all of them ? (Grandagon N f6.8 or f4, Super Angulon MC f5.6 or f8, Nikon f8 … )

Thank you for any point of view that I am sure will enlight this step further into picture making …

Diane Maher
25-Mar-2005, 12:14
I don't know the specs of the Gandolfi off the top of my head, but I use a Nikon 90 mm f/4.5 on my Toyo 45AII for a lot of situations. Most recently, it was used to take shots at a nighttime balloon glow held locally. It is a heavy lens, but judge on what you will be using it for. Perhaps you may need to go to a 75 mm (or even wider), depending on what kind of subjects you will be shooting.

Leonard Evens
25-Mar-2005, 14:16
I have a 90 mm f/6.8 Grandagon-N. I use it a lot for outdoor architectural photography, and I've experimented a bit with indoor shots. Of course, you have to have some reasonable amount of illumination in any case to see what you are doing, but with my Maxwell screen, I have no problem. With a dim gg, there might be a problem with indoor shots.

One's natural assumption is that you need extreme wide angle lenses for interior architecture. But according to books on the subject, like McGrath's, pros may have such lenses in their kits but they seldom use lenses shorter than 90 mm for 4 x 5 interior architecture.

Kirk Gittings
25-Mar-2005, 15:55
The rule of thumb has always been for commercial architectural photography: you will use a 90mm lens for 4x5 90% of the time. A 110mm is not quite wide enough. For 25 years I have found this to be true. Yes there will be a difference in color between the Nikkor and Schneider. Is it important enough? Only you can answer that. I think there is. If you want to be truely anal. To get a truely matched set of transparencies you need to stay with a matched set of lenses from the same period. Color differences between lenses have been an issue for me. I have all 1990's Schneiders and one Nikkor 120mm. The difference was enough that I had to get the Nikkor recoated to match the Schneiders.

james mickelson
25-Mar-2005, 16:17
My camera is a Gandolfi Variant and my WA lens is the SA90/8.0. It has lots of coverage and I have used it in Anasazi interiors and old ghost town buildings with good results. The Gandolfi can handle the weight of the larger aperture lens with ease. What I would love is a recessed lens board for my 90. Not much but say 1/2 inch would really give me lots more movements than I have now. But the movements I have now are adequate.

Richard Littlewood
26-Mar-2005, 03:37
I do quite a bit of architectural photography and the lenses that fit the bill are a 90 - mainly exterior, and a 65 - internal and exterior. It is so annoying not having a lens wide enough.

David Luttmann
26-Mar-2005, 09:52
I've found that I use a 90mm and 65mm the most with my Shen Hao. On the odd occasion, I've needed 55mm with bag bellows, but I can count those on one hand. Most of my shooting involves capturing home theatre and studio setups including wall and ceiling mounted speakers in conjunction with equipment cabinets, and for me it's been a 2/3 90mm and 1/3 65mm (ok, the 75mm comes out to play once in a while....but not often).

Best of luck and have fun!

alex sjoeberg
26-Mar-2005, 12:51
Thank to all of you. Quite a lot of clues.
I'll go for a 90 first (Schneider SA f5.6 MC or Rodenstock Grandagon N, f6.8 or 4.5).
Maybe later rebuild my whole set of lenses with brand new ones … depending of successfull assignements coming.
(New questions may come soon).
And I'll be glad to report right there considerations using 90 mm for new compositions avoiding too much “expressive perspective” !
Cheers to all of you.

Alex

Bob Fowler
26-Mar-2005, 17:30
"The difference was enough that I had to get the Nikkor recoated to match the Schneiders."

I'm curious... Where did you have the recoating done and how expensive was the job?

Kirk Gittings
27-Mar-2005, 12:56
Bob,
This was quite a few years ago and to be honest with you I don't remember. It was on the west coast called Pacific something. I had found their ad in Shutterbug. It only cost $125.00 or $175.00 which included repolishing the lens because of a scratch. It turned out really well. I wish I could be more helpful.

Scott Rosenberg
28-Mar-2005, 06:49
hey bob... i'e read good things about John Van Stelten at Focal Point Optics. their number is (303) 665-6640