PDA

View Full Version : Heliar 36cm

RobertCovington
24-Mar-2016, 15:22
I am trying to sort out more information on this Heliar 36cm 4.5 I have. I am new to large format photography and I now have a 200b Century Studio on a 1A stand rolling around my studio. I know this is an early model Heliar just trying to sort a date and can't seem to find the lens data. Serial number 179123.

I was fortunate enough to have a packard shutter in the box that will work, just need air tubing and bulbs, and I have plenty of 4x5 film to practice on before buying 8x10 film-so almost ready to start.

Emil Schildt
24-Mar-2016, 16:17
not that early... about 1922-23 according to the serial numbers found here : http://www.antiquecameras.net/heliarlenses.html (scroll way Down - belov the ebay ads... )

RobertCovington
25-Mar-2016, 06:42
Thank you I have read that page a few times down to the Ebay ads.

Jody_S
27-Mar-2016, 10:22
just need air tubing and bulbs

If you're looking for a quick (and cheap) fix for this, find an older pump-up blood pressure machine, cut off the bulb and tube, and poke out the one-way valve with something sharp. They're sturdy enough for my most difficult shutters.

desertrat
27-Mar-2016, 18:32
If you're looking for a quick (and cheap) fix for this, find an older pump-up blood pressure machine, cut off the bulb and tube, and poke out the one-way valve with something sharp. They're sturdy enough for my most difficult shutters.
Yup. If an older blood pressure cuff can't be found, new replacement bulbs for these can be bought cheaply on Ebay. I got mine for about 6 USD and a few dollars shipping, don't remember the exact amount.

Jim Graves
27-Mar-2016, 19:00
Check in with Jon Shiu on this site ... he also sells bulbs and tubing on eBay. He's a large format guy so he can give you some knowledgeable direction on what type of tubing works well and the correct bulb ........ and, how to use them.

RobertCovington
29-Mar-2016, 04:43
Jim thank you I just received a few bulbs yesterday from Jon.