PDA

View Full Version : 150mm (ish) Lens Recommendations? Graflex Super Graphic

clineco
24-Mar-2016, 08:21
So I'm in the market for a normal lens for my Super Graphic. I have the Optar 135mm but the shutter speeds are all about 3 stops too fast. So I'm thinking of just buying a more modern lens to replace it. I don't want an expensive apo lens, I'd like to spend between $200-300. I've seen the Nikkor 150 5.6 and the Fujinon 150 5.6 in this range, but I don't know anything about them.

Does anybody have any recommendations?

IanG
24-Mar-2016, 08:27
For that budget you can easily find a 150mm Symmar S or Sironar N or the Caltar re-badged equivalents bith superb lenses. When you've been a member here for a month which I assume will be soon you can place a WTB advert.

Ian

DrTang
24-Mar-2016, 08:34
my 150 is a heliar I stuck into a copal 1 from some polaroid lens deal

probably about 300 total - great lens, modernish shutter

Corran
24-Mar-2016, 08:45
I've seen APO Symmars sell in that range - I bought mine for $250 IIRC. But pretty much any newer lens from the Big 4 will be about the same. Or for a more classic look a 15cm Tessar will cost you about $100 or less.

Bill_1856
24-Mar-2016, 10:01
There's nothing wrong with the Optar 135mm -- it's an excellent 4 element Tessar type lens. I don't understand what you mean that the shutter speeds are too fast?

clineco
24-Mar-2016, 10:14
There's nothing wrong with the Optar 135mm -- it's an excellent 4 element Tessar type lens. I don't understand what you mean that the shutter speeds are too fast?

I would like to keep it and not buy a new lens. But when I shoot I need to open the lens up around three stops to get a proper exposure based off my meter readings. When it is set for one second and I fire the shutter you can tell it is fast, not to mention I found some spring rolling around in the housing.

Bill_1856
24-Mar-2016, 10:25
The last Super Graphics were made many years ago, so it's apparently time for a repair person to service and calibrate your shutter. Should cost $50-100. (I recommend Carol at Flutot's -- Google it).

adelorenzo
24-Mar-2016, 10:27
I'm a big fan of the 135mm length so I replaced the Optar on my Super Graphic, that was also having shutter issues, with a Nikkor-W 135mm. Great lens and it falls into your price range.

Vaughn
24-Mar-2016, 10:32
Caltar II-N 150/5.56 in a nice small Copal 0 shutter would fit the bill and pocketbook nicely.

clineco
24-Mar-2016, 10:39
The last Super Graphics were made many years ago, so it's apparently time for a repair person to service and calibrate your shutter. Should cost $50-100. (I recommend Carol at Flutot's -- Google it).

Thank you. I'll consider repairing it. Kinda at the cross roads of replace/repair...

clineco
24-Mar-2016, 10:55
I'm a big fan of the 135mm length so I replaced the Optar on my Super Graphic, that was also having shutter issues, with a Nikkor-W 135mm. Great lens and it falls into your price range.

Thanks, I'll look at that one.

IanG
24-Mar-2016, 11:15
I also like a 135mm and went from a 135mm Tessar to a 135mm f5.6 Caltar S-II (Symmar S). One thing you'd notice is how much better a modern plasmat like the Symmar S, Sironar N, Nikokor-W is at the edges and corners wider than f22 and also there's more room for movements.

Ian

Bill_1856
24-Mar-2016, 17:03
[QUOTE=IanG;1318989 One thing you'd notice is how much better a modern plasmat like the Symmar S, Sironar N, Nikokor-W is at the edges and corners wider than f22 and also there's more room for movements.

Ian[/QUOTE]

Yes, but wide-open the Optar is brighter for focusing. Don't waste your money.

clineco
24-Mar-2016, 17:05

You aren't making this easy. :)

Leszek Vogt
24-Mar-2016, 17:19
Not sure I can recommend it, since I haven't tested yet, but Ektar 152mm F4.5 sounds like a good lens. I think you should be able to pick one up for $200 or less.

Les

IanG
25-Mar-2016, 02:07
Not sure I can recommend it, since I haven't tested yet, but Ektar 152mm F4.5 sounds like a good lens. I think you should be able to pick one up for $200 or less.

Les

Before I bought my 135mm Caltar I'd begun using a 150mm f4.5 CZJ T (coated) Tessar, it's a nice lens better coverage than a 135mm Tessar on 5x4, I bought the cells on this forum actually very inexpensive then found a shutter. The 152mm f4.5 Ektar would be similar (a lens never sold here in the UK).

I can't say I've really noticed a huge difference in practice except that the original Graflex GG screens are dim compared to newer screens.

You aren't making this easy. :)

It's worth looking for another shutter, they do turn up and at reasonable prices, I have a few spare Alphax shutters, including two smaller ones that have never been used and didn't pay much for them (less than $30 each).

Again it's well worth your while placing a wanted advert here, I picked up a mint lokking 90mm Raptar Wide at a Flea market 2 years ago but someone had removed the aperture blades, I found a nice Graphex shutter with the correct aperture scale here, accurate at all speeds.

Ian

speedfreak
25-Mar-2016, 05:39
Fujinon 135mm is a great inexpensive lens. I keep one on my supergraphic and have no complaints as it can easily handle any movements I can dish out with the camera. I have the older "inside lettering" version in seiko shutter. Check the 'bay. You could easily get into a nicely maintained version of the 135mm (or 150mm) for under $200.