PDA

View Full Version : New to LF, Q's about Burke and James system.

Nick Kremske
18-Nov-1999, 15:29
I have recently purchased a Burke & James "Grover" model wooden camera, it is a 5x7 monorail, with a poorly functioning packard shutter and has a barrel mounted 190mm F4.6 wollensak raptor lens (that is scratched). I will be shooting portra its and landscapes and I am in search of the mystical LF clarity. I would like t o change the lens and shutter system into one that would give me more control in stead of the fixed f-stop and shutter speed I have now. Keep in mind that I paid less than a $100 for this system and I would like to keep the cost under $300 f or a used configuration. Any help or recommendations will gratefully accepted, t hanks.

sheldon hambrick
18-Nov-1999, 17:44
There are dozens of lenses out there that fit your requirements. Since you'll get many opinions, I'll just tell you about the one I have.

Earlier his year I refurbished an Ansco 5x7 that belonged to my grandfather. It also had a old Packard and a barrel mounted lens. Around the same time I saw a 210mm f6.3 Computar Symmetrigon (made by Kowa) mounted in a Copal #1 shutter at a camera swapmeet for $260. I asked around on the web (here and the large format newsgroup) about it, and it has a pretty good reputation. It has large coverage, 308mm, plenty for 5x7. I then saw the same lens listed at KEH in bargain condition for $ 215. I bought it, and when it arrived, I was VERY pleasantly surprised as it was in near mint shape! I've shot a few 4x5 chromes with it, and it's very sharp and contrasty.

However, the prices range widely for this lens - I've seen it as low as $215, and as high as $600! They come up on Ebay from time to time and sell for around $300. The is also a 180mm f6.3.