PDA

View Full Version : Hypergon usage

jumanji
22-Mar-2016, 11:31
To those who have used this lens. I've heard that the fan acts like a center filter. But in real life is it really necessary to use it?
And is it possible to focus a Hypergon 90mm on a Chamonix 8x10? Even if it is, would the baseboard appear in the image?

IanG
22-Mar-2016, 12:45
You'll have problems finding many that have actually used them. They are collectors items now and compared to 10-15 years ago rarely up for sale, when they are prices are far too much for practical use.

The answers are yes the fan is needed fall off is extreme, I don't have a Chanonix of any size but I'd expect the front rail would very definitely get in the picture.

I'd love to try a Hypergon there's better things to spend my money on though.

Ian

Jim Noel
22-Mar-2016, 13:50
Unlike other WA lenses, A 90mm Hypergon is rather wide for 8x10. But if the lens is as far forward as possible and focusing is done with the rear, the rail will not appear in the image.

Jac@stafford.net
22-Mar-2016, 13:54
The exposure is done in two steps - one without the fan, and the next with the fan.

Greg
22-Mar-2016, 15:21
sample photo at:
http://www.glennview.com/index.htm

Mark Sampson
22-Mar-2016, 17:36
That glennview picture is marvelous... although he should have taken a photo with a normal f.l. lens to show just how much more the Hypergon shows. A trivial complaint, I admit. But I doubt that i'll ever get to shoot with one, and that's as close as I'm likely to get.