PDA

View Full Version : Rodenstock Imagon shutter swap

jasonso
21-Mar-2016, 03:54
Hi all
I’m planning on buying an Imagon that is in an older Compur shutter. Is it possible to remove the lens from the Compur and attach it to a Copal 3 shutter, like the later Imagons?
Will I need any special tools for this beyond a lens wrench?

Thanks

Jac@stafford.net
21-Mar-2016, 06:41
Do you perhaps mean Compound Shutter rather than Compur?

jasonso
21-Mar-2016, 07:02
Ah yes you're right, it is a Compound shutter that I want to replace

Bob Salomon
21-Mar-2016, 07:02
Should be easy just remember to switch the front ring as well or the disks won't have anything to mount to.

DrTang
21-Mar-2016, 07:23
my 300 is in an alphax #5 with an adapter..so I guess it's possible
the front strainers fit with an filter step down ring

EdSawyer
21-Mar-2016, 08:39
Why bother though? The compound will have more aperture blades if you choose to use them (= rounder, smoother bokeh), is at least as reliable as a Copal 3 if both are in good order, and it's definitely lighter.

Bob Salomon
21-Mar-2016, 10:14
Why bother though? The compound will have more aperture blades if you choose to use them (= rounder, smoother bokeh), is at least as reliable as a Copal 3 if both are in good order, and it's definitely lighter.

Because the Imagon uses disks to control apertures and still get the Imagon effect. Using the blades in the shutter mask off the periperhal Rays and thus you don't get the Imagon effect.

EdSawyer
22-Mar-2016, 05:44
Bob, there's more than one way to use the imagon, I am familiar with how it works. That doesn't address the question of why swap out of a compound.

Bob Salomon
22-Mar-2016, 05:48
Bob, there's more than one way to use the imagon, I am familiar with how it works. That doesn't address the question of why swap out of a compound.

No, there is one way that the lens is designed to be used. Other ways are up to the user. But one should always master the way it was designed first before experimenting.

jasonso
23-Mar-2016, 02:22
The reason I wanted to swap out the compound shutter is it's timings are off and it needs servicing. I just wanted to get experimenting with the lens as quickly as possible and since I have a copal 3 shutter on another lens, I thought it might be a good idea to swap.

EdSawyer
23-Mar-2016, 07:29
That makes sense. The compounds are not too bad for servicing, usually it's to do with the air cylinder in my experience, or sometimes they just need some excercise. Nice shutters though, worth fixing if you can.

LeeSimmons
23-Mar-2016, 16:08
I love my imagon in it's compound shutter and wouldn't want to trade it for a new one.

It's way cooler and sounds awesome. Simple CLA and you'll never need to think about it again. They're reliable and sound great. Did your set come with an ND disk? If so the compounds slower shutter speeds should not be a problem. Enjoy your new lens.