PDA

View Full Version : Linhof Folding Hood and DOF Scale

Bill McMannis
23-Mar-2005, 16:48
Hello All,

I have a quick question regarding the Linhof Folding Hood. This is a neat device that doubles as a ground glass protector when closed. On older models, the Depth of Field Scale was displayed on the outside of the cover. On the current model, the scale is printed on the inside of the cover.

Perhaps there is a simple way to display the scale, but it escapes me. Helpful hints are appreciated.

Thanks as always,
Bill McMannis

Brian Ellis
23-Mar-2005, 17:56
I've never found the folding focusing hood useful as anything except a very expensive ($500 or so new) ground glass protector. Since the hood is fabric you can't push your forehead tightly against it to keep light out. Plus it collapses of its own accord and becomes totally useless unless you hold it open with one hand, which leaves you one hand short for doing everything else. So I just take it off the camera each time I make a photograph, then it's easy to see the stuff written on the back (though I don't actually use that either).

Bill McMannis
23-Mar-2005, 18:06
Brian,

I have very good luck using it, indoors and out. With it, I do not use or even carry a dark cloth. It would be nice use the DOF scale on occasion, though.

Bill_1856
23-Mar-2005, 18:11
I was very happy when mine dry rotted off so I could remove it without feeling guilty. (Unfortunately the $400 bellows discentigrated at the same time - Tech IV).

David A. Goldfarb
24-Mar-2005, 08:50
I use it as well, particularly in situations where I want to keep aware of what's going on around me. If I've got the sun behind me, I'll usually shade the glass with my hat. Mine doesn't seem to collapse of its own accord. I also use a fresnel screen, so that may help.

I don't think there's any obvious way to make the DOF chart more visible. You could copy it and tape it to the back or fit the copy under the clip, if you really need it. I don't use it that often, so it's not a big deal just to look inside the hood.

David A. Goldfarb
24-Mar-2005, 16:12
P.S.--I will say that the all metal Graflex folding hood that stands out nice and straight is better than the Linhof with the leather sides.