PDA

View Full Version : Voigtlander Euryscop number

mylek
17-Mar-2016, 10:26
Hello,

lately, i see often for sale some Voigtlander Euryscop with different writing. What is the difference between a "Portrait Euryscop III #3, Portrait Euryscop 3A or only 4" written on the barrel apart all being probably Aplanat or RR.

Regards!

Steven Tribe
17-Mar-2016, 11:12
A very concise explanation is:

- just a number (arabic or roman) and no euryskop engraving on barrels between approx. 20 -31,000 and a central WHS means early euryskop type (mostly later series IV and VI types).

- Engraved "portrait euryskop 4" - serial no. will be above 21,000 - means a series II(f4) size 4. From the same period, a "Portrait euryskop 4A will be size 4 in series III (F4.5). The "A" was to avoid confusion between the quite similar lenses.

When they decided to engrave the series number on the barrel, they abandoned the extra "A". According to the catalogue data I have seen, there were small changes in the EFLs for the new plain size numbers compared the "A" sizes.

mylek
17-Mar-2016, 11:41
Thanks Steven!

It makes sense with the serial number i'm seeing. When there is only an arabic or roman number, how can we difference them between IV and VI?

Jeff T
17-Mar-2016, 12:11
Hello,

I recently saw a Voigtlander & sohn no.5 f4 with a universal iris on a full plate EH Anthony camera at an antique store. The front diameter is 4 inches and about 7 inches in length.

Steven, thanks for your explanation, would you please indicate what is the effective focal length of the no. 5? Will this lens cover 14x17?

Steven Tribe
17-Mar-2016, 13:09
1890 catalogue.

Series II, size 5 has a EFL of 11.5". The front lens is 3" diameter and it was made for 8x10. F4, unless it is iris modified. There are no series II that covers 14x17! Look for a series III size 7A ( the later 7!). EFL is 19.33".

Steven Tribe
17-Mar-2016, 13:14
Thanks Steven!

It makes sense with the serial number i'm seeing. When there is only an arabic or roman number, how can we difference them between IV and VI?

Measure focal length and devide by the width of the front glass. This is an approximation to the max F value. Note that the bigger series IV (especialy!) and VI do not quite make the advertised F6 and F7.7!