PDA

View Full Version : Finding Vivian Meier

Michael Graves
14-Mar-2016, 16:09
I just watched this documentary on NetFlix. It is rare that I watch documentaries all the way through, but this one kept me rapt until the end. How many of us might end up like Vivian? Joel Meyerowitz and Mary Ellen Mark both provided outstanding commentary on Vivian's work. I was especially appreciative of Joel's comments about feeling photographs as much as seeing them. And how "discovering" a great artist only happens rarely. Check it out if you have the time.

rich815
14-Mar-2016, 16:14
I watched it on the plane a business trip to Dallas a few weeks ago. I have two books on her. Loved the movie. Her work is a nice inspiration.

Tin Can
14-Mar-2016, 16:41
Yes great movie, well done. Highly recommended.

I ran in the same places she did in Chicago, but of course never noticed her.

Tracy Storer
14-Mar-2016, 16:49
+1, a well done, if eccentric documentary about a talented, dedicated, and eccentric individual.

Eric James
14-Mar-2016, 17:49
On the one hand, she seems connected to people though her camera; but on the other, she seems separated from them by the same. I think eccentricity and great art often walk a lonely path.

Thanks for the movie tip.

Alan Gales
14-Mar-2016, 21:22
My wife and I watched it as well. We thoroughly enjoyed it.

I don't have the nerve to just run up on people and snap their picture like she sometimes did. She did excellent photography though.

dodphotography
15-Mar-2016, 20:00
Glad it finally made it to Netflix, enjoyed it.

She was quite the character.

j.e.simmons
16-Mar-2016, 05:52
Damn Vivian Meier. I used to shoot street photography with a TLR and got lots of candid shots because people had no idea the camera was a camera. I went out a few weeks ago, and my potential victims pointed and shouted "Oh, there's one of those funny cameras. I saw a movie about a woman who used one of those."

Jac@stafford.net
16-Mar-2016, 06:59
Are we going to misspell Vivian Maier's name forever?

fishbulb
16-Mar-2016, 08:12
She was quite the character.

And definitely controversial. Some parents I've talked to (who saw the movie) consider her cruel to the children and a villain.

Different times back then though. Corporal punishment was a lot more common than it is today. And like any nanny, there were some kids that loved her and some that hated her.

Tin Can
16-Mar-2016, 11:25
Are we going to misspell Vivian Maier's name forever?

The OP could click on the black triangle and ask for relief.

Michael Graves
16-Mar-2016, 12:05
The OP could click on the black triangle and ask for relief.

No. I'll just continue typeing and spellinnng really baddly.

Tin Can
16-Mar-2016, 12:14
No. I'll just continue typeing and spellinnng really baddly.

Without speel check, nobody could read my posts.

I cannot read my own handwriting, makes for interesting paper notes, especially when somebody asks for a copy...

My favorite thing is taking copious notes during any speech, lesson, class, lecture and sit in the front row. Makes the speaker kinda nervous...but I am paying close attention and remember more that way.

Stephen Thomason
16-Mar-2016, 13:24
She was one of the many "walking wounded." I am grateful for her contributions to street photography, and am saddened by her pain. May her karmic winds have blown favorably.

Namaste, Vivian.

Jac@stafford.net
16-Mar-2016, 13:29
She was one of the many "walking wounded." I am grateful for her contributions to street photography, and am saddened by her pain.

With respect, what evidence is there of Vivian having suffered?

Wayne
16-Mar-2016, 16:10
Oh brother, here we go with the post-mortem psychoanalysis. Let's exhume Emily Dickenson too, she surely must have been mentally ill huh.

HMG
16-Mar-2016, 20:12
Thanks for the (Netflix) tip; watched it tonight. When I heard the part about MOMA rejecting the offer, I could only think of the editors who rejected Rowling's first Harry Potter book.

Jac@stafford.net
17-Mar-2016, 08:54
Oh brother, here we go with the post-mortem psychoanalysis. Let's exhume Emily Dickenson too, she surely must have been mentally ill huh.

:) Are we going to misspell Emily Dickinson forever, too?
Good book!

Wayne
17-Mar-2016, 11:25
:) Are we going to misspell Emily Dickinson forever, too?
Good book!

While that flattering and no doubt historically inaccurate silhouette does nothing to lessen my necro-infatuation with poor Emily, I'm afraid the book itself might. :)