PDA

View Full Version : Mounting Velostigmat 9½" on Technika board & in shutter

Ari
13-Mar-2016, 18:34
Hi,
While I await the arrival of a new Velostigmat Series II 9½" lens, I'd like to have a Technika lens board ready for the lens.
Can anyone tell me, if the lens is in barrel, what size hole will I need to drill into the board?
Second, if I should one day want to put it into a shutter, are there any shutters that will directly accommodate the lens without any extra modification (Alphax #4, Compound 4?)?
Last, can anyone give me the diameter of the lens cell threads? I may have a Shanel 5B-S shutter available to me, and its mounting thread size is 63-64mm.

Thanks in advance for any help.

LabRat
14-Mar-2016, 06:25
I don't know the particulars of the sizes, but you should wait for the lens to arrive first… The flange is going to be the topic here… Will it fit on the inside of the Technika FS, or will it have to be screwed to the front of the lens board (with the screws/nuts with enough space inside the board to fit inside the FS)??? Will the hole dia. be for the lens threads, or for the flange or a locking nut??? (And the Technika's board is a little off center with the height, so checking is required when a lens is a larger dia, and if it will properly fit…)

Always easier with item(s) in hand… ;-)

Steve K

William Whitaker
14-Mar-2016, 08:04
Was thinking myself what LabRat said. Patience is a virtue. Wait until you have everything together, then mount the flange.
It's easy to over-think these things. Don't forget Murphy loves to get into the mix. The week of St. Patrick's day is not the time to go provoking him (her)! :)

Ari
14-Mar-2016, 08:09
You gents make a good point, and certainly one I had considered. My boyish enthusiasm and impatience got the better of me.
I'll heed your wise words and take my place by the mailbox.
Thank you

William Whitaker
14-Mar-2016, 08:56
Wise words, perhaps. But based on painful experience!

Mark Sawyer
14-Mar-2016, 12:24
Regarding the shutter, it should fit directly into a Betax or Alphax #4; (both are 62mm front and rear). Note the word "should".

Ari
14-Mar-2016, 12:26
Noted! Thanks, Mark.

scheinfluger_77
14-Mar-2016, 18:05
Regarding the shutter, it should fit directly into a Betax or Alphax #4; (both are 62mm front and rear). Note the word "should".

Emphasis on "should". I tried this with a recently acquired velostigmat 9.5 in a barrel and a 10" Veritar in #4 Alphax. It didn't quite go. It seemed the thread diameter on the Velostigmat was just enough larger that the threads would not seat into the shutter. Same result on both front and rear. I was so hopeful. But who knows, your's may work.

Ari
14-Mar-2016, 18:30
Thanks, Steve, I'll certainly be cautious about buying a shutter.
Can anyone confirm that the hole of the mounting ring is 73mm in diameter? I'd need to drill that size hole in my Technika board?
Thanks