PDA

View Full Version : super angulon enigma

Percy
21-Mar-2005, 18:42
Hi.

A friend allowed be to borrow his 4x5 outfit. It includes a 90mm schneider super angulon in a prontor press shutter. The question is this: how does one set aperture? Shutter speeds are marked, but there are no aperture marks. I noticed the lens is inscribed: 1:8/65. What gives?

ronald lamarsh
21-Mar-2005, 18:49
If the lens is inscribed 1:8/65 I'd say you actually have a 65mm lens and not a 90 as to the aperture part of the question I'm stumped, but I have never seen a prontor press so can't comment.

Percy
21-Mar-2005, 18:54
Oops...sorry...65mm...don't know what I was thinkin' about. But still....there are no aperture marks. Strange, huh?

Jon Wilson
21-Mar-2005, 19:07
It sounds like someone had the 65mm cells and they just screwed into this shutter. You might try estimating the apperture settings or follow one of the threads for determining the correct apperture settings. This also assumes the cells are properly aligned for this shutter. You might also try the lens at the largest and smallest appertures and see how the pictures turnout.

ronald lamarsh
21-Mar-2005, 19:11
Very weird: one possibility is that said lens originally had a different shutter that has somhow become disfunctional and the original owner instead of having it fixed found that the lens would screw directly inot a protor press that they had salvaged from somewhere. That's the only thing i can think of. Have fun

Matthew Cromer
21-Mar-2005, 20:38
I have the SA 65/8 and it comes with a synchro compur 00 shutter.

Hiro
22-Mar-2005, 01:13
Is there POLAROID written on the face of the shutter? There is a version of Prontor Press shutters specifically made for Polaroid copy cameras, and these do not have the aperture diaphragm.

There are usually a few lenses (Tominon, Ysaron, and such) came off Polaroids on e*ay. An example is here (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=30076&item=7501156129&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW). It does have aperture setting but looks goofy (like a cross between taking and enlarging lenses). How does one set the aperture after it's on the camera...?

I also found a thread with a reference to this issue: largeformatphotography.info/lfforum/topic/232264.html (http://largeformatphotography.info/lfforum/topic/232264.html). Do text search for "MP-4" to read Jim Galli's post.

I have a lens with Prontor Press, but it has the diaphragm. Possibly someone got stuck with a SA with a shot shutter and remounted the elements. Hope I'm making sense...

Hiro
22-Mar-2005, 01:48
Now I realized that you wrote "no aperture MARKS." Does it have the aperture and the control lever with a pointer? In that case I'm not sure why. The aperture in the shutter is a later addition or the glued/screwed-on marking fell off, maybe?

Percy
22-Mar-2005, 04:09
Not a polaroid shutter.

Does have pointer/control lever--opens/closes lens, but cannot deterrmine aperture setting--no marks.

Dan Fromm
22-Mar-2005, 05:16
Um, Percy, for a slight fee your friendly neighborhood photographer's machinist will engrave an aperture scale on the shutter. My fnpm has a web site, www.skgrimes.com

Cheers,

Dan

Ted Harris
22-Mar-2005, 06:46
To follow on with Dan's post. The reason SK Grimes offers such a service is that shutters sold separately, that is not as part of a lens, come without any aperatture marks engraved on them so as to allow the aperature marks to be properly placed for the particular lens cells screwed into the shutter. As an earlier poster pointed out, someone probably just screwed the cells into this particular shutter.