PDA

View Full Version : Beseler roller base (one direction) and Jobo 3005 Expert Drum?

axs810
8-Mar-2016, 23:08
Hello,

I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with using a Beseler roller base (one direction) with a Jobo 3005 Expert Drum? From what I'm finding is that most people use the roller base that reverses but I'm just wondering if that is really even necessary?

Thanks,
Eric

Vaughn
9-Mar-2016, 08:38
I removed (bent out of the way, actually) the mechanism that reverses the motor in my motor base -- I found the large diameter of the 3005 meant that it hardly made a full rotation before it reversed.

I physically pick up the drum and rotate it 180 degrees on the motor base every minute or so -- to make sure that I do not get uneven development. Seems to work fine.

DrTang
9-Mar-2016, 08:59
I use exactly that and flip mine every two minutes

now..I just need to build a 'keeper' to keep the tank from crawling off and I'm set

Chauncey Walden
9-Mar-2016, 09:15
Here you go. A drawer roller from any hardware store. Works on either end of drum but as JOBO says, the 3005 does not have to be reversed (and the auto reverse would not work anyway.) The wood base has indentations to position the Beseler. 148058

Vaughn
9-Mar-2016, 09:17
I use exactly that and flip mine every two minutes

now..I just need to build a 'keeper' to keep the tank from crawling off and I'm set

I use a large (gallon - glass) bottle of water on the left side. One can be positioned just right so that one does not have to move the bottle when the drum is flipped. I thought about leveling the motor base just right to counter the movement to the left, but decided I'd rather know it definitely heads in one direction rather than take a chance of it deciding to head off right or left without something to stop it. Someday I might make something more sophisticated (like Chauncey's great devise.)

TXFZ1
9-Mar-2016, 11:24
I am wondering if a pair of rubberbands would keep the drum from heading off in either direction. I have a drum that is long and have to keep a constant watch on it when using the roller base.

David

axs810
9-Mar-2016, 18:53
Its is important that you flip it or have a reversing roller base for the 3005? What would happen if it just rolled in one directions for the whole development?

Vaughn
9-Mar-2016, 20:04
Might just work fine...I just like to interrupt any possible pattern of surging developer in the tank. And besides, I know that my negatives will develop better if I stare at them while the drum spins...so I might as well flip the drum occasionally to have an excuse to stand there and stare at the rotating drum.

PS -- I like the rubber band idea -- as long as it does not cause excess drag when they contact the turning rubber wheels of the motor base.

Erik Larsen
9-Mar-2016, 20:15
It works fine in one direction with my chosen film and developer (fp4 in pyrocat m) it might not with certain more finicky developers. One thing I do is a pre wash and I reverse it during the pre wash. I've found that the anti halation layer sometime doesn't totally wash off without doing a reversing prewash.

DG 3313
10-Mar-2016, 20:09
I use my Beseler motor with Beseler drums reversing and one way. For 4x5 film I use the 8x10 drum (3oz. D-76 1:1) and 8x10 film....the 11x14 drum (4oz D-76 1:1). I push the film into the drum about an inch before I seal it. I also level the drum as much as possible with a torpedo level while it's on the motor. I had uneven development using 8x10 drum on 8x10 film. The motor rotating one way has been ok for me for a long time.

Duolab123
13-Mar-2016, 21:38
Might just work fine...I just like to interrupt any possible pattern of surging developer in the tank. And besides, I know that my negatives will develop better if I stare at them while the drum spins...so I might as well flip the drum occasionally to have an excuse to stand there and stare at the rotating drum.

PS -- I like the rubber band idea -- as long as it does not cause excess drag when they contact the turning rubber wheels of the motor base.

I use tractor oil filter gaskets on the 2500 series, got them for 89 cents each. The stare at the drum thing works for me too. :)

StoneNYC
13-Mar-2016, 22:14
Here you go. A drawer roller from any hardware store. Works on either end of drum but as JOBO says, the 3005 does not have to be reversed (and the auto reverse would not work anyway.) The wood base has indentations to position the Beseler. 148058

Can you show me where JOBO says you don't need to reverse the drum with 3005 please? I've never seen that documentation.

I'm also not sure why you think the auto reverse wouldn't work? My Beseler auto reverse worked fine (until it broke after probably 200 8x10 sheets and however many uses it had before I owned it) .

I can say that with the reverse on it does end up making full rotations eventually, as one direction spins slightly more than the other direction, so it will end up getting a fuller rotation. At least mine did.

I did notice surge marks at the edges when I tried to only use one direction. So I went back to the auto reverse.

That wheel is clever, I just always used a wall which worked well.

Now I have a JOBO machine, but the Beseler is a good starter.

Good luck OP!

Chauncey Walden
14-Mar-2016, 08:19
I apologize. The latest Jobo expert tank instructions I could find do say to use the reversing - of course, Jobo reversing is a random, geater than one revolution before reversing kind. I use my 3005 on a Beseler base and everything else goes in the CPP2. I have seen that reversing is not required, I just can't find it now. The Beseler base seems to come closer to the revolution rate recommended by Jobo than oter bases do.

DrTang
14-Mar-2016, 08:50
as JOBO says, the 3005 does not have to be reversed

WAIT...WHAT??? I don't have to reverse it every two minutes???

REALLY??

well..that just made my day

mine only crawls to the right side... so if I point it as shown in the pix.. I can put a two quart bottle of water against the flat right side and then not have to babysit it

so..really..no flipping???

jeroldharter
14-Mar-2016, 13:42
The automatically reversing motor bases are not the best for large drums because they might not rotate around the full circumference before changing directions. The Beseler bases have a switch for manual switching of rotation direction. Otherwise, you have to lift the drum and rotate it manually.

For drum drifting, I used a short piece of heavy galvanized fence attached to a galvanized wall flange. That gave it a flat base so I could place the post upright and position it to block the drift. It required no skill except I did file down the edge of the cut post which was tedious but easy.