PDA

View Full Version : UV photography Be real carefull!

Tin Can
8-Mar-2016, 21:04
A while back I asked about UV photography and we didn't get too far.

This guy has. Very dangerous.

http://photoextremist.com/ultraviolet-induced-visible-fluorescence-photography-tutorial

knuf
9-Mar-2016, 01:12
Interesting pictures, somehow mysterious as best UV capable lenses (not-fluorite) can see down below to maybe 320nm and have zero transmittance in UV-B / UV-C .

Or is he using 7000$ nikon 105/4.5 ?

pdh
9-Mar-2016, 02:23
mysterious as best UV capable lenses (not-fluorite) can see down below to maybe 320nm and have zero transmittance in UV-B / UV-C .

But he's not requiring the lens to pass UV, and doesn't claim to be photographing in UV either.

The very title of the piece tells you exactly what is happening: "Ultraviolet-Induced Visible Fluorescence Photography", and the first thing he does is explain the phenomenon before going on to explain how he takes advantage of it.

That is not the same thing as capturing images within the UV spectrum itself.

knuf
9-Mar-2016, 04:07
But he's not requiring the lens to pass UV, and doesn't claim to be photographing in UV either.

The very title of the piece tells you exactly what is happening: "Ultraviolet-Induced Visible Fluorescence Photography", and the first thing he does is explain the phenomenon before going on to explain how he takes advantage of it.

That is not the same thing as capturing images within the UV spectrum itself.

hmm, understood

does it mean that all materials are fluorescent in VIS after exposure to UV ?

StoneNYC
18-Mar-2016, 23:19
Cool!

Neal Chaves
25-Mar-2016, 06:29
Last year I went to a UV workshop at a local photographer's studio hosted by a photography MeetUp group. The model brought her own lights, one of which was quite large and developed a lot of heat. No doubt it was a rent or car payment for her, but after a little research I concluded it was quite hazardous for all involved.148794148795

mdarnton
25-Mar-2016, 07:48
We use UV to cure the varnish on violins. One of my friends got quite a case of eye-burn from looking too long at his violin in the box.

jp
25-Mar-2016, 08:01
We use UV to cure the varnish on violins. One of my friends got quite a case of eye-burn from looking too long at his violin in the box.

Much like welding! (I've gotten burnt chest from welding; small gap between my apron and the mask)

Peter_Jones
3-Apr-2016, 14:17
Be careful with any UV - I've not been exposed to much UV but have still managed to acquire a melanoma in my eye. Make sure your optician has a good look in your eye whenever you have an eye examination.

Toyon
8-Apr-2016, 07:49
UV exposure can lead to cataracts.