PDA

View Full Version : New film --- Tina Modotti in Mexico

Steve Williams_812
21-Mar-2005, 05:35
I had the opportunity to look at Brenda Longfellow's documentary on Tina Modotti. I found it fascinating but I should warn anyone who has Edward Weston on a pedestal that you mind find the examination of his clay feet a bit unsettling. Much of the narrative has been taken from Modotti's journals and letters.

The film is availabe through Bullfrog Films and is expensive at $250. I am not sure if that is an institutional price or if some end user price is also available.

http://www.bullfrogfilms.com/catalog/tina.html

steve

Nick_3536
21-Mar-2005, 05:44
If it's the one I think it's been showing on Canadian TV off and on for at least two years. Seems to alternate with the Paul Strand one. I like both-)

Bill_1856
21-Mar-2005, 06:45
Is the Paul Strand film "Under the Darkcloth" or a different one? (On DVD at $25 from Amazon).

Nick_3536
21-Mar-2005, 07:28
I think so. It's also Canadian made IIRC.

James Bleifus
21-Mar-2005, 08:56
I was hoping Netflix had it but no luck. It sounds like an interesting film but $250 is far out of my price range. I can use it to buy too much Efke.

Cheers,

James

MIke Sherck
21-Mar-2005, 12:12
Paul Strand: under the dark cloth

Worst background music *ever*!

Christian Olivet
21-Mar-2005, 12:54
I don't get it! $250 for a DVD? $85 to rent it?

Bill_1856
21-Mar-2005, 13:18
Mike, if you think the Paul Strand background music is bad, just wait till you hear Sarah Moon's video about HC-B!

John Z.
22-Mar-2005, 15:15
I was wondering what Steve meant by Weston's unsettling review; did this mean he was criticized in the film? Or perhaps he just did not look good in the film? Did they show him making any photographs, or other discussion of technique? Thanks.

Bruce Schultz
26-Mar-2005, 12:43
Like many artists, Weston was a philanderer of the worst sort, and along with that manipulative, self-centered, egotistica, opportunistic, impulsive, selfish, opinionated and a misogynist. Im sure many of us have heard the same things said about ourselves.
But he was America's finest photographer. And from what I understand when he was with his kids, he was a fantastic papa.
I never held the illusion that Weston's personal life was as fine as his work. Just reading his daybooks and the book by his second wife give you clues to the chaos and disorder he left behind.
Even with that, however, I still place him on a pedestal, far above any others.

Bill_1856
26-Mar-2005, 17:02
Something that is not clear in the Daybooks, or Maddow's biography of Weston, is that within a year the romance between Tina and Weston had run its course (at least on her part). Edward weren't getting any, and he packed up his stuff and his son, and headed home to California. The surprising thing was that he returned with Brett for another year before he completely gave up on Mexico. Knowing that explains a lot of the Daybooks, which seems otherwise somewhat confusing about their relationship.