PDA

View Full Version : shelf-life of x-ray film

Wayne
4-Mar-2016, 11:10
I've seen comments somewhere (not here, apparently) about short shelf life of x-ray film. Radiology sites recommend storage <1 year past the expiration date, but they work under rather different and more critical circumstances than we do. Whats the word on the street from photographic users? Is there any reason to think it doesn't last as long as normal films when stored under the same conditions?

Vaughn
4-Mar-2016, 15:44
I got an old box of 14x17 -- the emulsion falls apart in the fixer. Expired in 2002. Agfa.

Andrew O'Neill
4-Mar-2016, 16:15
I have a box of green latitude that I've used on and off. When not in use it's in the fridge. I've had the box since 2008 with no issues. I also have a box of 14x7 of the same stuff and appears fine. At the very least, store in a cool environment. Probably radiologists don't, hence the warning to use before it expires...

Tin Can
4-Mar-2016, 17:15
Also, since it's used medically for vital decisions, anybody using old X-Ray film may be liable for poor practice. Lawyers win.

I expect modern Kodak X-Ray to last as long as any film they make. Which is quite long.

I'll let you know in 10 years.

j.e.simmons
4-Mar-2016, 18:52
At every radiologist I've been to, the x-ray film is on a shelf at room temperature which would be in the low to mid-70s F.

I have some that's about 8-years old. I've kept it frozen and it works fine.

Wayne
4-Mar-2016, 19:45
I would expect frozen film to remain fine for 8 years though.

Randy when you let me know in 10 years my film will be 13 years old. So let me know in 13 years I guess. :)

Tin Can
4-Mar-2016, 20:19
I would expect frozen film to remain fine for 8 years though.

Randy when you let me know in 10 years my film will be 13 years old. So let me know in 13 years I guess. :)

But then my film will be 14 years. :)