PDA

View Full Version : 270mm Apo-Gerogon S

Steve Clark
20-Mar-2005, 11:55
Hi All,
The way I understand it, this lens might just squeek by on 11x14 contact prints. I built a temporary box (cardboard and lots of black tape!) to try and get an idea of the image circle when using the front cell only. This "camera" was a little too primitave to tell me very much, other than the focal length becomes about 370mm and the image circle is enormous. I`d like to build a 8x20 point and shoot camera for paper negs., to be contact printed, if this lens will cover, and be reasonably sharp. As I`ve no way to test this without turning it into a project, I`m hoping someone has some experience with this lens.

tor kviljo
21-Mar-2005, 01:04
The Rodenstock Ap-Gerogon's is 6-element repro-lenses optimized to be used from 1:3 to 3:1 reproduction ratio. Built very much like the (likevise 6-element) much more well known Schneider G-Claron repro lenses. Much less popular though, as the Apo-Greogon's often/allways is mounted in barrels not indetical i threads & spacing to corresponding shutters - making it more expensive to turn into LF users. I have briefly had the 150/9, 270/9 and 240/11 W-Apo-Gerogon (all from repro-cameras). Used the to larger with Packard-Ideal shutters, while the 150/9 mounts nicely in front of a No 0-shutter . Excellent optics & certainly "reasonable sharp" when stopped down. However, the 240/11 were DIM. Should work nicely on Your ULF project when stopped down some steps.

Pete Watkins
21-Mar-2005, 11:54
Steve, I cannot add much useful information and I held back as I was hoping that forum visitors with knowledge about this lens would add some information. I have a 270 mm Rodenstock Apo-Gerogon S and I paid very little for it (20 UKP). I have no idea about the coverage of this lens so I have been unwilling to spend any money on it. The front element WILL screw straight into a MODERN Copal 3 shutter. The rear element is 46mm and the thread on the rear of a MODEREN Copal 3 is 58mm. I recently bought a step up ring that covers both these sizes BUT the collar on the ring will not allow me to try this. If I / we can get some information on this specific lens and I am told that it is OK quality wise and that the lens will cover at least 11x14 I am prepared to spend out on. Lets hope some kind person will help.

Joerg Krusche
21-Mar-2005, 12:43
Hi,

the Apo Gerogon S 11/270 at 1:1 has a specified image diameter of ca. 840mm, you get half that at infinity, with 420 mm not far from the image diagonal of 11x14, and assuming that the Rodenstock specs of this 75 degree lens are conservative, the lens may be good enough for 11x14.

As mentioned before in this thread the only disadvantage of the Apo Gerogons is that they need adapters to screw into standard shutters. As to their performance they certainly are equivalent to the G-Clarons, and most likely also with the Fujinon-A versions, they all share the same design. The Apo Gerogon S was significantly more expensive than the 70 degree Apo Gerogon 9/270. For the f=11 lens I would recommend though a Boss-screen for easier focussing on fine details.

Best

Joerg Krusche

Pete Watkins
21-Mar-2005, 23:20
Many thanks for your helpful input Joerg.

Steve Clark
22-Mar-2005, 18:26
Pete, If the collar on your adapter rings were not a problem, does is look like the cells would thread together for the correct spacing, or is it difficult to tell? I`ve been told that a Copal "3" requires extensive reworking in order to be usable for this, and that an Alphax "4" is a better choice. Have you tried using the front cell only? Just curious about what kind of image quality you found if you did.

Steve Clark
22-Mar-2005, 18:35
Joerg, any idea what these lenses sold for new, and when they were last made? It seems a shame that they are almost" give aways" now.

Bob Salomon
23-Mar-2005, 02:50
"when they were last made?"

What is the serial number?

Steve Clark
23-Mar-2005, 07:43
Hi Bob, Nice of you to drop by! The serial number on this one is 10847949. The mount appears to be usable on either a process camera or enlarger, aperature range f/11-f/90. The mount for the front cell seems to be what limits this lens to f/11. Was/is there a version of this lens that was maybe f/8 or so? If these are no longer available new, what has replaced them. I`m not looking for another one, just trying to learn a little about this one. Thanks

Bob Salomon
23-Mar-2005, 08:07
"10847949"

About 1985.

These are wide field process camera lenses and not photographic lenses so while there may have been newer ones any info on them would come out of the graphic arts area not the photo area. There were no faster versions and they were made to be used at f22 only.

Since these were made for copy work they are rather poor enlarger lenses. Additionally they will not fit a shutter without modification to the shutter.

Jim Galli
23-Mar-2005, 08:23
Bob, are the wide field f11 versions a double gauss like Schneider's wide field f11 version of the G-Claron?

Joerg Krusche
23-Mar-2005, 14:38
jim,

the apo gerogon s 11/270 has the same design as the g-claron or the fujinon-a, the apo gerogon s is not identical with the g-claron wa, this latter lens is indeed not very suitable for infinty applications.

the apo gerogon s 11/270 as bob just said is a "poor enlarger lens" since optimized for 1:1 to 1:5 with symmetrical design and not a "photographic lens" i.e. of little use just comparable to the similar g-clarons or fujinon a types.

hope this helps

joerg