PDA

View Full Version : info on petzval needed. thanks

Jbuck
3-Mar-2016, 10:28
i found this nice 150mm (seller saying its f3.5) Darlot Petzval and I'm considering buying it.
described as it should cover 4x5 but apparently it covers 1/4 pate.

does anyone have info on this lens : the swirls, sharpnes, bokeh and if it really is 3.5?

thanks!

Jim Noel
3-Mar-2016, 12:18
It probably will cover 4x5 at the distances for which it is normally used. I don't believe it wil do so at infinity,but it is not designed to be used for such images.

Jbuck
3-Mar-2016, 13:48
thanks! any idea on the swirling? and the f speed?
i read somewhere that the 150mm Darlots dont swirl bit have this wierd "difused" bokeh and that they should be around f5 and not f3.5

Steven Tribe
3-Mar-2016, 15:11
It is a projection darlot sold by B. French of Boston. I believe that CCHarrison's website has a page which shows the Darlot magic lantern products at the bottom. The AD, the lack of WHS and the date of the start of French's agency confirms it is late, rather than early, in Darlot's production.
Devide the focal length by the diameter of the internal baffle (or the diameter of the front lens if there is no baffle) to get the approximate F value.

Jim Galli
3-Mar-2016, 16:09
Welcome to the crap shoot table at Las Vegas. You just have to throw down and find out . . . like the rest of us.

There is NO lens that will 'cover' 4X5 and also swirl. The swirls happen with the fastest possible lenses out in the far region that was by design, never going to see film in the first place. Those facts make this lens a good choice for what you want.

Two23
3-Mar-2016, 16:25
You will be OK buying a used Darlot from ebay, as you can likely resell it if unhappy. I wouldn't pay full price for a new one though.

Kent in SD

goamules
3-Mar-2016, 18:01
Using my MK 1, Mod 0 calibrated eyeball, I can tell you it's not F3.5. But it should be a good petzval to get started with. Might vignette on 4x5, like Jim says, you have to buy and try. They were all different for 100 years, and there's no way to tell.

Rael
3-Mar-2016, 18:58
It probably will cover 4x5 at the distances for which it is normally used. I don't believe it wil do so at infinity,but it is not designed to be used for such images.

It's mounted to a speed graphic lens board, looks like, so someone, somewhere used it on 4x5.

Jbuck
4-Mar-2016, 07:33
thanks guys! ill think ill skip it..

300-400$ for a projection lens without WHS is a bit too much i think.
thanks again for the help!