PDA

View Full Version : 4X5 Horseman FA vs. Linhof Master Technika

Mark Nowaczynski
6-Sep-1999, 13:26
I am considering a new high quality folding 4X5 field camera for portraits, cand id portraits, street shooting, and close-ups in nature. I am not a static lands cape zonie and don't want a wooden field camera. The Linhof with coupled rangef inder on a monopod would be a good set-up for semi-candid shots, the Horseman wi th viewfinder would be less convenient for this purpose but adequate with its un -coupled viewfinder. Both cameras seem to be comparable for tripod use and grou ndglass viewing except that the Horseman has limited bellows draw. I am not int erested in an old press camera and prefer to buy new in order to support the shr inking LF industry. Any comments, advice, or experiences? Regards from Toronto.

Paul Schilliger
6-Sep-1999, 17:20
Hi Mark, Nine years ago I bought a Linhof and had two lenses coupled. But I soon realized I was in a dead end road with this technique. I speak of outdoor photography. Unless you have a long experience in the subjects you want to work on, I would suggest the use of a hand held medium form at camera for subjects in motion. Also for portraits, focus is too critical and attitudes you want to seiz e too short lived to accomodate with this beggining of the century technique. (People I photographed in large format seem frozen to death compared to the live expressions caught with medium format. Curr ent films are so sharp you wont be desappointed. For static landscape, the Horseman is lighter but the Linh of takes long focals up to 360mm.

James Chow
7-Sep-1999, 01:03
Having both a MF SLR 6x6 system and 4x5 lightweight monorail, I would agree with Paul. Get a MF camera. If you want to do macro, you'll need a SLR over a rangefinder. For handheld shots, a rangefinder is faster to use and lightweight, but not as precise in focusing for close up portraits. The slr will have the advantage of DOF preview. For portraits, I use a 180/2.8 and 300/4 in 6x6, while I reserve the 4x5 for architecture/landscape. I couldn't imagine handholding a 4x5 w/ a 300/5.6 for a portrait!

Lot Wouda
7-Sep-1999, 02:31
I own a Linhof and am happy with it, but I do not believe you will be using him for street protraits, candid photography and street shooting. At least I don't because of the bulkiness and I enjoy my little Leica for that work. I use my Linhof for portraits (also on 6*7) and still life and there's no sort of MF which could replace it (I formerly used a Hasselblad and am much happier now).

John O'Connell
7-Sep-1999, 12:53
"close-ups in nature"

I wouldn't buy anything with less than the Linhof's 17" of bellows if I was serious about close-ups in the field. I love the Horseman cameras, but their bellows draw would keep me away. Working distance could be very entertaining using the short lenses the Horseman would require. My bellows are consistently out at max extension (20 1/2 - 21") to do close-ups with a 150 (flowers, big spiders, leaves, rocks).

"semi-candid shots"

I can get these with a monorail, so I don't think they're all that tough. It's mostly a matter of knowing where the action will be, and making people think you're not actually ready (not a problem if they've seen you operate a view camera before).

John O'Connell
7-Sep-1999, 13:01
Linhof on a monopod? I missed that the first time. There are some nice 6x12 cameras with limited movements and lenses in helicals, and the Gran View for sub-150mm 4x5 photography, but f/11 is where my lens becomes decent, and f/11 doesn't provide DOF. Flashbulbs are in production again (GN of 200), and Metz makes some big flashguns, but light's going to be a serious issue. I'd want enough light to be at f/16 or f/22... Good luck.

Erik Ryberg
8-Sep-1999, 02:02
"I am not interested in an old press camera."

Why not? For 200 bucks you can get a speed graphic with a coupled rangefinder in very nice shape. You aren't going to be using much tilt and rise with your street candids anyway, so what does the Linhof offer you exactly? If you find the system works for you you can sell the graphic for what you paid and then support Linhof with a new purchase. Or on the other hand you can sell it and support Hassleblad or Mamiya with your new MF purchase.

I use both a Speed Graphic and a Rolleicord TLR for street shooting and while I like using the Graphic more the planets really need to be aligned for the shots to come out. I hate to think how much film I have blown due to camera shake, not enough DOF, double exposure (easy to do in the heat of the moment) and every other little thing involving sheet film. It gives me an awful lot of respect for those press photographers of a few decades ago. I have more or less given up on hand held shots with the 4x5 camera now. Instead I set the thing on a bench, focus at a predetermined point and wait. It's a lot like fishing, only you're less likely to be successful. . ..

With roll film, though, you can blow 11 out of 12 exposures with impunity and still have a fabulously successful day.

steve_782
10-Sep-1999, 01:24
I own a Horseman FA and have used it for the past 6 years. I have also used a Linhof regulary, and they are really two different cameras which I don't think are comparable. The Linhof is the ultimate 4x5 field camera. However, the Horseman is much lighter, smaller and easier to carry long distances if that is what you need to do.

The Horseman has one very serious drawback, and that is the opening in the front standard is very small (72mm). This limits lens choices to those lenses having rear elements less than 72mm in size. To cure this problem, I had mine modified by an extremely competent machinist that I trust implicitly with camera equipment. (He has modified broadcast video cameras for me that were over 40K, and never damaged one.)

He enlarged the opening to 78mm which allows me to use a 120mm Super Angulon (77mm rear element). If this modification is not made, you will have to unscrew the rear element from the shutter and then mount the lensboard on the camera, and finally remount the rear element through the back of the camera onto the shutter - not a procedure that I recommend doing on a regular basis in the field.

I also had new bellows made for the camera that are 12-1/2 inches in length, which I find more than adequate for all of my lenses (cost $130). The Horseman is a very complete system camera, and if you need longer bellows, there is an extension that attaches to the back of the camera which gives and additional 17-inches of bellows draw in addition to the 10-1/2 which is standard on the camera.

The camera is able to work with short focal length lenses quite easily. I regularly use a 75mm Grandagon on the camera, and can still use the front swings and tilts etc.

It is a very nice, very small camera that is best used if you want to pack it or need to carry the camera for any distance. If you do not, and can afford it - buy the Linhof.

Bob Salomon
10-Sep-1999, 06:01
"The Horseman has one very serious drawback, and that is the opening in the front standard is very small (72mm). This limits lens choices to those lenses having rear elements less than 72mm in size. To cure this problem, I had mine modified by an extremely competent machinist that I trust implicitly with camera equipment. (He has modified broadcast video cameras for me that were over 40K, and never damaged one.) He enlarged the opening to 78mm which allows me to use a 120mm Super Angulon (77mm rear element). If this modification is not made, you will have to unscrew the rear element from the shutter and then mount the lensboard on the camera, and finally remount the rear element through the back of the camera onto the shutter - not a procedure that I recommend doing on a regular basis in the field. "

Rather than go through all that to use a 120mm 8.0 you could have gotten the 115mm 6.8 Grandagon whick has a 70mm rear diameter.

steve_782
10-Sep-1999, 10:57
Gosh Bob - Once again you have a really, really good suggestion that would have cost a lot of money, although it would have been beneficial to you and HP. I already OWNED the Super Angulon and the modification was free.

Bob Salomon
10-Sep-1999, 20:40
"Gosh Bob - Once again you have a really, really good suggestion that would have cost a lot of money, although it would have been beneficial to you and HP. I already OWNED the Super Angulon and the modification was free."

But your post did not note that. It simply implied that you had it done to use the 120mm.

It's also interesting that a qualified mechanic would do the modification free. Most of us have to pay for modifications to equipment by qualified technicians.

I'm sorry if my reply bothered you. As you did not in any way imply that it was a pre-owned lens many would assume that you had to have the modification done after you bought the lens not having checked before the purchase of the lens to make sure it would fit without modification.

But that brings up another interesting question. Didn't you check prior to purchase to make sure that any lenses you wanted to use on the camera would fit without needing a qualified mechanic to modify the camera (which frequently may void a manufacturer's warranty on a new camera)?

steve_782
13-Sep-1999, 11:11
Bob -

My post did not imply anything. I stated the facts. Anything other than that is what YOU chose to read into it. I sincerely don't care about your concerns about my camera equipment or what you think it takes to modify equipment. I have built video equipment, including cameras; modified still, motion picture and video equipment for special use at a variety of government test facilities. The people I work with are emminently qualifed to do the work I need done, and the work was done as a favor to me as it was my personal equipment, and not one of the custom projects that I regularly send through this person.

As for your questioning - "Didn't you check prior to purchase to make sure that any lenses you wanted to use on the camera would fit without needing a qualified mechanic to modify the camera (which frequently may void a manufacturer's warranty on a new camera)? "

The answer is yes Bob, I knew the camera would need to be modified - and that's my choice. I wanted the smallest, most robust 4x5 I could find for field use - my choice was the Horseman and to have it modified. Is that OK with you? Afterall, it's my money, my life, and my choice. What you would have done in the same situation is for you to choose - and, I don't care what that choice is.

As for the manufacturer's warranty - I don't care about that either. I treat camera equipment very well, and have never, in over 30 years, had to send a camera back for warranty service. This includes: 2 Nikon F's, a Nikon F2, Cambo 4x5, 2 Plaubel Makinas, Leica M5, Hasselblad system, Horseman FA, and a Horseman 6x12.

Your concerns are noted and ignored.