PDA

View Full Version : Best spanner wrench you have used?

Songyun
29-Feb-2016, 22:16
I remember that badger graphic and b&h used to have spanner wrench for sale, but it no longer exists. I looked up online find Amazon has a few of these for sale around $20, as well as S K Grime has one for sale for $54. Does anyone have experience with S.K Grime's spanner wrench? Does it worth the extra bucks to get one from S.K. Grime? I plan to open up a lens with the spanner wrench.

Sirius Glass
29-Feb-2016, 22:53
I have only the S K Grimes lens spanner wrench and I think it is worth the money.

Leszek Vogt
1-Mar-2016, 01:46
Indeed, I've only experienced SK Grimes wrench....and the ease of use pretty much verified, that I did the right thing.

Les

Rael
1-Mar-2016, 04:25
I purchased this one, and it's very well made. I have to say it's the best spanner wrench I've ever used, because, well, it's the only one I've ever used. I've used it successfully to dismantle a bunch of lenses though, and it's never given me a problem.

http://www.amazon.com/Neewer-Professional-pointed-Spanner-Repairing/dp/B00J5F6O92/ref=pd_sim_421_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=51CKgZSCgiL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=0VJQ8FXWPFKB3S6WKAAW

Robert Bowring
1-Mar-2016, 08:53
You could try micro-tools.com they have a good selection of camera repair tools.

fishbulb
1-Mar-2016, 10:01
I purchased this one, and it's very well made. I have to say it's the best spanner wrench I've ever used, because, well, it's the only one I've ever used. I've used it successfully to dismantle a bunch of lenses though, and it's never given me a problem.

Likewise. I have both of these Neewer wrenches on copal #0, #1, & #3 large format lenses.

www.amazon.com/Neewer-Professional-pointed-Spanner-Repairing/dp/B00J5F6O92/
www.amazon.com/Neewer-Professional-Stainless-Spanner-Opening/dp/B00J5F6ZI2/

Solid stainless steel, great build quality. I like the flat bar one a little better - simpler design, but they are both really good tools for any normal sized lens.

They can span up to ~100mm, but much more than that I don't know if I could get enough leverage - say for example disassembling a 300mm f/2.8 or larger DSLR lens you might need a bigger spanner for the front element.

Kevin Crisp
1-Mar-2016, 10:41
My experiences:

1. Flat Toyo wrench of limited usefulness; too much interference on wood boards from the routed out portion. Works OK on Canham and Technica style boards.

2. Grimes wrench with flat tips. The gold standard, I use it often going on 14 years or so. It is great.

3. Microtools version with multiple tips. This will work with some very small lenses that are too small for the Grimes one, at least too small to have the orientation of the tips at best advantage. It does occasionally save the day. Not as strong and secure at the Grimes version, but sometimes it is my only solution.

Mark Sawyer
1-Mar-2016, 12:48
I've used a few different spanner wrenches, and seriously, here's the best one I've found for disassembling lenses. Very solid and easily adjustable (just turn the screws in or out) within its limited range, and easy to grasp with lots of leverage. I have several in varying sizes, and add to my collection when necessary! :)

Mark Sawyer
1-Mar-2016, 12:50
BTW, I'll custom make one for $500, or sell you the plans for $250! :rolleyes:

Songyun
2-Mar-2016, 18:47
Thanks, everyone. I just placed an order with SK grimes.

Tin Can
2-Mar-2016, 22:43
Be aware that no one wrench or tool ever does it all.

I have dozens of DIY tools for many one time uses.

Lenses and cameras most likely need a vast array of improvisation.

next I want those silicone rubber cones for removing lens parts that don't have slots for metal tools.

Cor
3-Mar-2016, 00:55
I shiver at the thought of the sharp tips of the screws close to the lens surface, and what the points of the screws do to the slots in the ring, so it's a joke right..;)..

Cor

I've used a few different spanner wrenches, and seriously, here's the best one I've found for disassembling lenses. Very solid and easily adjustable (just turn the screws in or out) within its limited range, and easy to grasp with lots of leverage. I have several in varying sizes, and add to my collection when necessary! :)

Per Madsen
3-Mar-2016, 04:42
I have the Micro-Tools wrench and it is a good combination together with the Rodenstock key (for size 0, 1 and 3).

EdSawyer
3-Mar-2016, 12:45
The grimes is great, I have both of those, but as mentioned the Microtools one with interchangable tips is worth having too.

ic-racer
3-Mar-2016, 14:43
I use my fingers. I don' think I have any lens attached so tight I can't get it loose wtih my fingers. If it does get loose in the field, just tighten it with my fingers again. I'm always swapping lenses, shutters, lensboards, etc.

Mark Sawyer
3-Mar-2016, 22:03
The points are no more dangerous than the points of other spanner wrenches. I find it safer as the points are held so securely; no play at all and they won't slip out of adjustment. I suppose you could file or grind them to the shape of your choice if you preferred...

I shiver at the thought of the sharp tips of the screws close to the lens surface, and what the points of the screws do to the slots in the ring, so it's a joke right..;)..

Cor