PDA

View Full Version : Disassembly and repair -- Ilex Paragon Anastigmat f4.5

kmack
29-Feb-2016, 15:37
I have an old Ilex Paragon in a barrel that the iris will not close beyond f6 otherwise the iris opens and closes smoothly.
The rear cells remove easily and I can remove the aperture ring but I am unable to figure out how to remove the front element to get at the iris assembly.
Anyone have experience with this lens or know anyone who may be able to repair it?

kmack
1-Mar-2016, 15:06
Photos of the lens in question.

Jon Shiu
1-Mar-2016, 18:49
The front lens will unscrew from the mid part, just the same as the rear group.

Jon

kmack
1-Mar-2016, 19:25
Thanks Jon, I had to remove the aperture ring first. Now to see what's up with this iris.

Jim Galli
1-Mar-2016, 19:25
Cut yourself 2 "grips" out of an antique car inner tube. About 6X6" is good. Put a flat board on the floor. The board should be long enough that one end of it can rest against a surface that is solid, that way the board can't spin. Put a grip on the wood and the lens on top of the grip, face down. Then put the other grip on top of the barrel. Now step on that bad boy and twist counter clockwise with your foot, full weight. She'll come apart.

kmack
3-Mar-2016, 11:50
Thanks Jim! After a good long soak in some Kroil the 'step and twist' routine broke it free.

kmack
3-Mar-2016, 15:27
OK, two of the blades have lost their pins, that's why it was sticking. It's re-assembled without the two offending blades and will now fully open but I can't stop past f8 until I make myself a couple of 2mm rivets. That's an adventure for another time.