PDA

View Full Version : Question on Sinar F2 Format Change

Michael Ervolina
19-Mar-2005, 07:00
I recently started with LF and I bought a used Sinar F2 from KEH.com. It didn't have an owner's manual, so I have had to figure everything out.

My question is about changing the format from 4x5 to 5x4. I can't figure out how to move/rotate the back. How do I do that?

Thanks,

Michael

Jan Virtanen
19-Mar-2005, 07:17
Hello, i also have an F2, but 5x7 model. You "rotate" the back by unmounting the thing and remounting it, in portrait or landscape mode. Theres just two plastic locks that keep it in the place.

Ron Marshall
19-Mar-2005, 10:12
Michael, I have an F1. At the top corner of the rear standard there is a small plastic lever, like the one on the front standard that releases the lensboard, that when raised will release the back. It will fall out into your hands. You then turn it 90 degrees to change from portrait to landscape, or vice versa. Part of the back can also be removed in order to mount the Horseman type of roll film back, if you ever want to use one.

Michael Ervolina
19-Mar-2005, 15:31
Thanks for the fast answers.

Funny thing is, I posted the same question a week ago on viewcamera.com and still don't have an answer. I think I found my new forum!

Michael

dan nguyen
20-Mar-2005, 21:18
be careful when you pull those levers. For the rear the ground glass may drop on the floor, and pay attention to the lens board at the front too. Better do with 2 hands.

Ellis Vener
22-Mar-2005, 08:11
Funny thing is, I posted the same question a week ago on viewcamera.com and still don't have an answer. I think I found my new forum!

This is a great forum and welcome to it. Also congrats on your new Sinar. The funny thing about your post for me is that the answer to your question is so obvious that I am surprised you didn't figure it out for yourself.

Dan N. makes a great point about making sure that the groundglass assembly plate (the part that you turn from vertical to horizontal or vice-versa), the bellows and the lens board are securely locked into place. When I used Sinar cameras I always made sure to test that these components were securely locked into place and then I would put a piece of gaffer tape over the levers to make sure they did not get accidently jostled into the open position.

Michael Ervolina
23-Mar-2005, 18:52
The funny thing about your post for me is that the answer to your question is so obvious that I am surprised you didn't figure it out for yourself

Touche'. Sometimes I can't see the forest for the trees. Thanks for the good ideas, I'd hate to see the ground glass smash in the thousand parts.

Michael