PDA

View Full Version : Josef Sudek exhibit

Chris Gittins
18-Mar-2005, 13:57
It's a great exhibit. Well worth a trip.

Chris

Gudmundur Ingolfsson
18-Mar-2005, 17:57
Not only is there this fantastic Sudek exhibition but a great show of Hiroshi Sugimoto´s photographs
as well.

Oren Grad
18-Mar-2005, 18:38
Here's a link on the Sugimoto work:

www.mfa.org/pressroom/pdfs/2005/hiroshi%20sugimoto%20pr.pdf (http://www.mfa.org/pressroom/pdfs/2005/hiroshi%20sugimoto%20pr.pdf)

I see that "he produces works that reflect... a fascination with the paradoxes of time". Non-linear time, perhaps? ;-)

I've been meaning to see these, but of course entirely lost track of the calendar. Michael, thanks for the timely reminder - I don't want to miss Sudek!

tim atherton
19-Mar-2005, 09:04
"Not only is there this fantastic Sudek exhibition but a great show of Hiroshi Sugimoto´s photographs as well."

Lucky buggers - all you need is anAtget show i town to round it off

Chris Gittins
19-Mar-2005, 09:07
Where's the Sugimoto exhibit? Not at the MFA, is it?

Oren Grad
19-Mar-2005, 09:11
Chris -

Yes, Sugimoto is at MFA.

tim atherton
19-Mar-2005, 09:13
"Yes, Sugimoto is at MFA."

does it have any of his new photographs of mathematical forms/models?

tim atherton
19-Mar-2005, 09:14
I see that "he produces works that reflect... a fascination with the paradoxes of time".

well, anyone who photographs a whole movie from beginning to end is interesting in my book.... and definately interested in "time".... :-)

Oren Grad
19-Mar-2005, 09:21
Tim -

I don't know what's included in the Sugimoto show - can't tell from the press release, and there are no samples on the MFA website. I'm going to try to make it over to the MFA before Sudek closes and see both. Sugimoto continues into June, so I'll report back on what's there if nobody else has had a chance to do so before I get to it.

Stay tuned - it's only a matter of time...

Chris Gittins
19-Mar-2005, 11:05
>Yes, Sugimoto is at MFA.

Geez, I need to pay closer attention and/or the MFA needs to do better advertising. (All I've been hearing from them is sports cars and Damien *&%#ing Hirst.) On the topic of Sudek, there's a corridor not too far from his show with 15-20 prints from his contemporaries - very nice work, prints are more traditionally modernist than Sudek's.

Chris

dan otranto
19-Mar-2005, 18:44
be sure to get a good wiff of the big black panel of rotting flies in the hirst exhibition

Chris Gittins
20-Mar-2005, 00:12
>be sure to get a good wiff of the big black panel of rotting flies in the hirst exhibition

Ha! Yeah, the first thing that struck me when I stepped into the room with the Hirst exhibit was the stench - no joke. I'm thinking a little formaldehyde must have leaked out of his pickled sheep container. Whatever the cause, the smell pretty much summed up the exhibit. Anyhow, Hirst will pass into the dustbin of history soon enough. Sudek is for keeps.

Oren Grad
20-Mar-2005, 12:01
Thanks, Michael.

Five hours each by car each way...!

Oren Grad
20-Mar-2005, 12:06
>> each by car each way <<

Uh oh, my brain's functioning as though I'd spent five hours in the car each way, even though I haven't even reached for the keys yet...

< sigh >