PDA

View Full Version : How do I unmount a Voigtlander?

Daniel.E
26-Feb-2016, 19:41
The previous owner had 3 holes drilled onto the lens board. It looks like the opposite to this http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?84351-How-do-I-mount-this-Heliar&p=817081&viewfull=1#post817081 I'll quote the text so you don't have click on the link

You can take the threaded bayonet ring off and carefully drill 3 small holes for screws at it's widest points, and use it as a flange mounted to a wood or metal lens board with correct sized hole. You may want to make a black gasket out of something for a light tight seal metal against wood since a normal flange has a light trap feature that your ring won't have.

I removed two of the 3 nuts but the shutter doesn't move at all. I don't know if I'm explaining myself or if pictures would be better. Should I just send it to SK Grimes? I'd need to get it mounted on a Technika style board anyways.

Any ideas would be really helpful, thanks!

Jim Noel
27-Feb-2016, 11:17
A picture would help immensely. I had one of these years ago pictures should jog my memory as to how I got it off and remounted.

Daniel.E
27-Feb-2016, 14:03
It looks the same as this lens from the for sale section found here http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?128741-FS-Jos-Schneider-amp-Co-Kreuznach-Xenar-24cm-240mm-f-4-5-in-Compound-Shutter
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=146600&d=1455490866

These are the actual pictures of my lens

Thank you!

djdister
27-Feb-2016, 14:54
The flange ring is the only thing mounted to the lens board. First, unscrew the entire lens/shutter assembly from the flange ring by rotating it counterclockwise. Once that is done, you will see that the flange can be removed from the lens board by loosening the three screws.

Next, have the flange mounted on your desired lens board and simply screw the lens/shutter into the flange and you are ready to go.

Daniel.E
27-Feb-2016, 15:03
Thank you, that makes sense. Now the problem is that the shutter is stuck and I can't move it at all.

pnphoto
27-Feb-2016, 15:10
You have three basic parts here. Lens board, Flange and Shutter w/lens. The caulking/gasket and bolts attach flange to lens board. Maybe the caulking is just stuck? Shutter is screwed into flange CW. Have you tried turning shutter CCW? Is it seized?
SK Grimes would a great place to send it if you can't get it off. I'm just north of you in Vancouver, BC. You could also try Horst Wentzel up. He has worked on my cameras for years.

Daniel.E
27-Feb-2016, 15:14
I tried turning it CW and CCW, nothing. I noticed it has some paint, I'm guessing that's what's causing the whole problem. Thank you for the suggestion, I'll look him up right now and send a message.

pnphoto
27-Feb-2016, 15:23
Horst now works out of his home. He's a Rollei and Hasselblad factory training technician in the day. He doesn't cut corners. If your shutter needs work, he is the guy to do it. Good luck. Nice lens by the way!

Daniel.E
27-Feb-2016, 15:32
Thank you very much! it's a nice lens. I only found a number for him, do you know if this is current, 604-263-5820?

Jeff Keller
27-Feb-2016, 15:59
It looks like the flange must be on the lens side of the board. Try removing all 3 nuts and see if the whole assembly will lift off.

If you already removed the flange from the back side of the board, then I would expect the three screws would wobble a little (don't push them hard against the shutter). The gasket between the shutter and board might be sticking the lens to the board. If you insert something thin between the gasket and the board, you could probably free it.

Daniel.E
27-Feb-2016, 16:01
I was able to remove 2 nuts and the screws wouldn't move, just the third one that the nut is somewhat stuck to it.

That's a good idea and there wasn't any flange on the back side of the board, just the nuts. Thank you!

pnphoto
27-Feb-2016, 16:32
Yes, that is his number. He doesn't have an answering machine. If he is there, he answers. He is retired, but like to keep busy with only mechanical well made cameras.

Try what Jeff suggests, but you sure don't want to force it. Grimes does sell common flanges, but I'm not sure how common yours is if you damage it.

Just curious, what Voigtlander lens do you have? Heliar? What focal length? Is it coated? Do you know its vintage?
I have a small collection of old uncoated lenses in Compur dial set shutters from 10.5 to 18cm. My pride is an early 1900 Xenar 24cm 3.5 mounted with a Packard shutter on a Cambo 4x5. I have a 10.5cm Heliar that is head and shoulders better than the lens of the same vintage.

Daniel.E
27-Feb-2016, 16:40
It's a 21 cm Apo-Lanthar. I believe is coated. I'm hesitant to try anything drastic just because I don't want to damage anything by mistake. I'll try what Jeff suggested but I sure won't force it.

That's a very nice collection you have!

pnphoto
27-Feb-2016, 18:09
I have never seen that lens before. Beautiful. Oh no, another one for my list! Looks from my Google search it is coated (blue cast in lens). Hope it all works out with your lens.