PDA

View Full Version : Camera Dilemma: 5x7 or 5x8, what would you do?

Jim Becia
25-Feb-2016, 13:19
Ok,

Let me see if I can explain my dilemma. I currently shoot mainly an 8x10, however, I like to carry an extra smaller camera body. Last year, I bought a Chamonix 5x8 with a 4x5 reducing back. I like the camera, it is easy to use and is light weight. I also have a 5x7 reducing back for my 8x10 that gets used on ocassions. So as you can see, if I wanted to, I could carry 8x10 holders, 5x8 holders, 5x7 holders, and 4x5 holders. To expound further, here is where the dilemma comes. I really like the 5x8 format, specially for horizontals, although verticals are not quite as pleasing to my eyes; the film is a piece of cake to cut as it is one simple cut and the Chamonix film holders are lightweight and a joy to use, BUT; I use E-6 film and have to have it processed by by my lab (cannot and do not want to process). Herein is the problem. He has to use the 8x10 racks, but the clips can only attach to one part of the film on the 5 inch side, unlike two clips attaching to each side of the film with the 5x7 film. So, every so often, a piece of 5x8 gets loose and the result is usually not good. There is no chance for my lab to get new racks or modify what he has. He has absolutely no problem with 5x7 film. While cutting 8x10 film down to 5x7 is a bit of a pain, I have had little problem doing it. I really don't want to carry both 5x7 and 5x8 holders. I want to use one or the other.

So, what would you do, keep the 5x8, or sell it and get a 5x7? I suppose I could get Hugo to manufacture a 5x7 back for the 5x8 and then just use my 5x7 holders, keeping the 5x8 holders in reserve. Just wondering if some of you could share some of your opinions on the pros and cons I have mentioned. Hope this question makes sense. Thanks. Jim

vinny
25-Feb-2016, 13:25
Can you acquire some racks from a third party and have clips welded on?

Jim Becia
25-Feb-2016, 15:03
Can you acquire some racks from a third party and have clips welded on?

Vinny,

He had tried that. Seems like they are being turned into scrap before he had a chance to find any. I think he mentioned at one time that a new rack would set him back about $400. I don't know if you know Mike at AgX, he is located in Sault Ste. Marie. His processing has been just perfect.

scheinfluger_77
26-Feb-2016, 11:50
Gosh, a 5x8? such an odd and unnatural size. Surely you don't use it often, wouldn't it be happier in a place where it is loved for just what it is?

I know of a home, a very good home....

Michael Roberts
26-Feb-2016, 13:57
Jim,
Can the 5x8 film be processed using the 5x7 racks? If the racks have clips, maybe?

I've got a somewhat similar problem with 7x11 film in 11x14 racks. Unfortunately, in my case 7x11 does not share a common dimension with 8x10, so no option for using a smaller rack. But in your case, maybe....

Bruce Watson
26-Feb-2016, 14:35
Gosh, a 5x8? such an odd and unnatural size.

Golden ratio (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_ratio).

Alan Gales
26-Feb-2016, 14:39

And Hasselblad always said the perfect format was square! ;)

Bruce Watson
26-Feb-2016, 14:43
And Hasselblad always said the perfect format was square! ;)

Square doesn't actually occur in nature much IIRC. Golden Ratio is interestingly common.

scheinfluger_77
26-Feb-2016, 16:10

Yes I know :cool:

Jim, how about 2 in an 8x10 jobo drum?

Jim Becia
26-Feb-2016, 16:26
Jim,
Can the 5x8 film be processed using the 5x7 racks? If the racks have clips, maybe?

I've got a somewhat similar problem with 7x11 film in 11x14 racks. Unfortunately, in my case 7x11 does not share a common dimension with 8x10, so no option for using a smaller rack. But in your case, maybe....

Michael,

Can't be done as the clips are on the 7 inch side. Would be different if they were on the 5 inch side, same goes for his 4x5 racks, the clips are on the 4 inch side. The horizontals are nice like I mentioned, but may have to just stick with 5x7.

John Kasaian
26-Feb-2016, 17:02
Why not put a slider on your 8x10 back and get two 5x8s on a single sheet? Deardorf and Ansco had them fitted---I'd think sliders could probably be fitted to your Chamonix back?

jnantz
26-Feb-2016, 17:24
Why not put a slider on your 8x10 back and get two 5x8s on a single sheet? Deardorf and Ansco had them fitted---I'd think sliders could probably be fitted to your Chamonix back?

i was going to say the SAME THING !

Michael Roberts
26-Feb-2016, 17:54
Jim
Check out this source for 5x8 color processing:
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?97306-Anyone-else-interested-in-5x8-processing-for-color-films&p=959744&viewfull=1#post959744

Dan can probably tell you if Edgar is still processing 5x8.

I was also going to suggest using 5x8 splitters on your 8x10, but the problem as I see it is that you already have a 5x8 Cham and need to know where you can get your color film processed....

Michael

Jim Becia
26-Feb-2016, 20:38
Jim
Check out this source for 5x8 color processing:
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?97306-Anyone-else-interested-in-5x8-processing-for-color-films&p=959744&viewfull=1#post959744

Dan can probably tell you if Edgar is still processing 5x8.

I was also going to suggest using 5x8 splitters on your 8x10, but the problem as I see it is that you already have a 5x8 Cham and need to know where you can get your color film processed....

Michael

Michael,

As you stated, I don't have a problem using my 5x8, it is just the processing that presents a problem. Another bug that I have run into it how to store them. Nobody makes anything like a Print File page. So they just get stacked. Jim

Michael Dodd
27-Feb-2016, 15:25
What if you take on your self and have some holders modified ? Work out a deal with him to recoup (discount on processing) your investment ?
Invest in a few holders, Find A welder and show the welder what you want. This should not be that difficult You are not starting from scratch. You just need to modify an existing product. This kind of modification goes on all day in the manufacturing world. You may be able to recoup your cost by selling to some other 5x8 users. or sell your camera to me.

Daniel Stone
28-Feb-2016, 15:38
Jim,

If you must use commercially available processing, I'd message Edgar Praus, just to double check that he still offers 5x8 processing. I've used him for 5x7 C-41, but NO 5X8 at all. I abandoned the 5x8 notion for my own uses when I realized the buy-in cost of camera/holders was beyond my budget.
E-6 I have been using my local lab, Datachrome in Orange County.

Personally, I'd stick with 5x7, and simply crop to the 5x8 ratio if needed for the particular shot.

-Dan

Ken Lee
28-Feb-2016, 17:04
http://www.kenleegallery.com/images/forum/5x7Golden.jpg

Another option is to crop 5x7 to the 5x8 ratio: You can mask your ground glass with some inexpensive opaque tape: it's rather easy and practical.

Due to the clear film edge, the actual size of a 5x7 image is 4.75 x 6.75 inches.

Taking 5/8 x 6.75 inches gives 4.22 inches. We lose around 1/2 inch of height and keep all the usable width.

If you put a 1/4 inch layer of tape along the top and bottom of the ground glass, you're all set.

angusparker
28-Feb-2016, 17:23
Jim,

If you must use commercially available processing, I'd message Edgar Praus, just to double check that he still offers 5x8 processing. I've used him for 5x7 C-41, but NO 5X8 at all. I abandoned the 5x8 notion for my own uses when I realized the buy-in cost of camera/holders was beyond my budget.
E-6 I have been using my local lab, Datachrome in Orange County.

Personally, I'd stick with 5x7, and simply crop to the 5x8 ratio if needed for the particular shot.

-Dan

+1, unless you are processing your own film I think 5x8 is rather impractical. I'd suggest using 5x7 instead.

Jim Becia
28-Feb-2016, 17:39
+1, unless you are processing your own film I think 5x8 is rather impractical. I'd suggest using 5x7 instead.

Dan, Ken, and Angus,

It is rather strange how I work when it comes to different formats. I tend to frame right out to the edge of the film, regardless of the format I use. I just rarely crop. The very real "plus" of 5x8 is how easy and simple it is to cut the film - one easy cut down the middle and the cutting is complete. Whereas with 5x7, one must cut one inch off the 8 inch side, and then make two more cuts on the 10 inch side to get the film down to the right size. If I shot 5x8 in black and white, I guess it would not be that big a deal. I think at this point, I will probably end up moving my 5x8 and looking for a 5x7. Thanks for everyone's feedback. Jim

angusparker
28-Feb-2016, 22:12
Dan, Ken, and Angus,

It is rather strange how I work when it comes to different formats. I tend to frame right out to the edge of the film, regardless of the format I use. I just rarely crop. The very real "plus" of 5x8 is how easy and simple it is to cut the film - one easy cut down the middle and the cutting is complete. Whereas with 5x7, one must cut one inch off the 8 inch side, and then make two more cuts on the 10 inch side to get the film down to the right size. If I shot 5x8 in black and white, I guess it would not be that big a deal. I think at this point, I will probably end up moving my 5x8 and looking for a 5x7. Thanks for everyone's feedback. Jim

I think the beauty of B&W is that you can cut your film to any size and develop it yourself. Same for wet-plate etc. If you love the 5x8 format then stick with it perhaps but change your media?

Jim Becia
29-Feb-2016, 17:10
I think the beauty of B&W is that you can cut your film to any size and develop it yourself. Same for wet-plate etc. If you love the 5x8 format then stick with it perhaps but change your media?

Angus,

Down the road black and white will most likely happen. But at this time I plan to continue with color as long as I can. Thanks. Jim