PDA

View Full Version : Adox Paper from J&C

ronald lamarsh
17-Mar-2005, 23:33
Anybody out there tried Adox paper from J&C yet?

David A. Goldfarb
18-Mar-2005, 05:01
Maybe in some other form. I really like Cachet/Maco Expo RF graded as an enlarging paper. It's my impression that this paper is actually made by Efke. It is also my impression that Efke is changing its name to Adox, since its films were actually based on the old Adox formulas. If the new "Adox" paper from J&C is the same as the paper I've been using, it's good stuff.

Neilski
12-Apr-2005, 14:49
Hi Ron.

Adox paper is made in Berlin by Adox and is uniquely coated on a vertical coating machine. As a result the emulsion layer is thick and very silver rich capable of producing wonderful deep blacks. The paper base is high quality triple-weight and bright white. I buy mine in the U.K. (where I live) from retrophotographic.com. It is a neutral tone paper - i.e. Chlorobromide - akin to Ilford Galerie, yet it is a V.C. emulsion with a true 0 - 5 range. It has become my first, and indeed my only, paper of choice. Retrophotographic only stock three sizes but they are surprisingly cheep (half the cost of Galerie/Seagull etc, or even less) for such a quality product. I heartily recommend you try some. Adox themselves have the catch-phrase "Putting the grey into black and white" and it's true. If you're after that elusive 'luminous' print quality - all shiny upper tones - you may have just got a step closer. A eulogy then - but a deserved one. Great stuff.

Neilski.

pablo batt
4-Feb-2009, 12:11
yes i have used this paper, i purchased some a few days ago from fotoimpex germany

the paper is pretty rough, in fact i have 15 year old paper with less problems than adox "fine print"

my box was complete with yellow and brown stains, hundreds of black spots all over the emulsion light damage to a lot of the edges rusty spots and surface flaws

it now resides in the bin (2 days old)

adox considers this to be acceptable condition and will not return any correspondence with me

Michael Graves
4-Feb-2009, 13:12
yes i have used this paper, i purchased some a few days ago from fotoimpex germany

the paper is pretty rough, in fact i have 15 year old paper with less problems than adox "fine print"

my box was complete with yellow and brown stains, hundreds of black spots all over the emulsion light damage to a lot of the edges rusty spots and surface flaws

it now resides in the bin (2 days old)

adox considers this to be acceptable condition and will not return any correspondence with me

Okay, Pablo. We all now know that you don't like Adox. So don't buy anymore. But the 97.8% of the rest of us who have had no problems at all with the product--and in fact rather like it--don't want a continued air blast from you every time the name is mentioned.

pablo batt
4-Feb-2009, 13:37
hey thats my opinion, and i am pretty sure im within my rights to express it

i just dont want others to be majorly disappointed and a lot poorer like i am

i am not rich and now i cant print for a while due to it.
so my air blast is going to continue over this for a long time to come and this may even bring my photography to a close

Eric Rose
4-Feb-2009, 16:23
Again here is my reply to all of this:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showpost.php?p=436953&postcount=7

Gene McCluney
4-Feb-2009, 16:58
Pablo, we get the message that the paper you have does not work for you. It is not OK for you to ressurect all old threads on Adox products and post your negative feelings. One post is enough. I don't see ANY other user complaining about ADOX products, so it must just be your one box that is a problem.

pablo batt
4-Feb-2009, 17:26
so we only post positive things on this forum , and never a potential injustice

i have given photoimpex 4 days to just email me and they couldnt even do that, they sold me a damaged box of paper as indicated by the pictures of the damaged box that the paper was stored in

i guess your right i should just bend over and take what im given

some people would just move on and chalk it up to experience, i am not one of those people

i hope others will think twice before making my mistake of trusting this paper supplier

and i think thats fair in a unfair world

Gene McCluney
4-Feb-2009, 17:37
It is OK to post your impressions about a product. It is OK to seek input from other users of the same product. You are now not doing this, you have gone beyond this, you are attaching your negative comments to any post relating to Adox regardless of whether it is the product you have or not. You are now becoming a Troll. Nobody else has a problem with Adox papers, it is only YOU.

pablo batt
4-Feb-2009, 17:43
then i will just stand alone wont i

no one here has explained away how my methods would produce the results ive been getting

i guess i maybe need to find some experts, as im not having this vibe here

Michael Graves
4-Feb-2009, 19:19
then i will just stand alone wont i

no one here has explained away how my methods would produce the results ive been getting

i guess i maybe need to find some experts, as im not having this vibe here

Generally speaking, fogging and staining are the results of sloppy storage and technique or contaminated chemicals. Based on your description of yellow stains, if your darkroom is in the bathroom, perhaps you should flush before you print.

pablo batt
4-Feb-2009, 19:26
yes i have my durst 138s balanced on my bathroom sink and 24inch trays on top of the medicine cabinet

and my durst m601 on the toilet bowl

i have a permanent darkroom in my town house in the jordaan ,central amsterdam.
and my studio is down stairs

this way my clients can take a dump in the bathroom without electrocuting them selves.

Sal Santamaura
5-Feb-2009, 13:22
http://www.apug.org/forums/747714-post25.html

pablo batt
5-Feb-2009, 13:39
well thats not the response i got from you

you told me that you would count the am amount of sheets i had used and give me my money back based on this, as long as a fault could be found by your staff with the paper.
and as i had opened the box before realising the packaging was damaged then i could not have a replacement based on damaged packaging

what a joke, dont force me to post your email to me on flickr

i have today packed up all my cameras for sale threw the awful adox fine print in the bin(i have no idea what kentmere have to do with this issue you dont even sell the stuff)

my darkroom is for sale and i have thrown all my prints in the bin, negs soon to follow.

i have nothing left and all ive got to say is good riddance

photography died for me today

pablo batt
5-Feb-2009, 15:21
check my flickr stream for details of emails

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30665456@N06/3255875389/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30665456@N06/3255893039/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30665456@N06/3256687760/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30665456@N06/3256687896/

Gene McCluney
5-Feb-2009, 21:11
We do not care about your emails. We like Adox products. I think this thread needs to be closed. You don't want help, you want revenge. It ain't gonna happen here.

Jim Ewins
5-Feb-2009, 21:33
Perhaps the moderator could stop this silliness

Eric Rose
5-Feb-2009, 22:16
ya they shut it down on APUG. Good decision.